Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:04 PM

436 posts, read 573,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
In a quandary here. We are going on a two week trip down south and I will need to board my cat.
Usually when we go away and never for that long, son or dil come in once a day to feed, water, spend some time and clean out box. We have never been gone this long.

My problem now is she doesn't like to be alone for extended periods of time, our house will be listed and I can't have some realtor accidently let her get out and be outside for lord knows how long and I can't lose two prime weeks of the selling market where I live to tell realtors to stay away. Purpose of trip is too explore a few locations we may want to live if house sells.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone who could stay at my house and cat sit for two weeks.

My vet has a boarding for dogs and cats so he will be near..just worried. Had used this kennel in past when we had a dog so no issues with it.

Anyone have experience boarding a cat? Do they keep them caged all day? I have lots of questions for the boarding facility just was hoping for some input from people who may have done this before.

PLEASE useful suggestions, I'm already stressing so don't need any negativity about boarding my cat.

I would recommend trying to find a boarding facility that caters to cats. In other words they are exclusively cats or they provide a complete separation between the cats and dogs so they don't have to hear those pesky barky dogs. I sold my home last year and I had to board my cat three times, not overnight though just during the day. I had to board him on appraisal day, inspection day and moving day. My boarding facility had dogs on one end of the building and cats on the other end. They also had larger kennels like the example below where the cat could move around and up and down.

This is one example.

Lakeside Cattery in New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:11 PM

3,142 posts, read 2,655,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
In a quandary here. We are going on a two week trip down south and I will need to board my cat.
How is your cat going to carry you all the way down south? :-D

Maybe you should board a bus or a plane instead.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,926,782 times
We used to board our cats. The first place caged the cats, but they were very large cages with multiple levels. They were a cats-only facility. The second place did the same, but there was a play space available if our cats were interested (some were, some weren't). Again, it was a cats-only facility.

We now hire a petsitter who comes in twice a day, sometimes three times a day. Although some of our cats prefer our company 24/7, they do fine with just petsitter visits - there has been no long-term psychological effects because they don't get 24/7 human contact.

We prefer petsitters hands down - staying home surrounded by familiarity has worked out better for our cats (although none suffered ill effects from being boarded). A licensed and bonded petsitter, with whom you've met and interviewed and checked references, can be trusted.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,529,357 times
I looked into boarding my cat when I was in the process of selling my home and in the process of looking for a short term rental in another state.

In my area those who board cats required a vaccination for feline leukemia or they would not accept the cat . My cat tested negative and my vet did not want to do the vaccination unless it was absolutely necessary. She felt there were too many risks associated with the vaccine.

So, if you do decide to board the cat be sure to ask which vaccines are required for them to accept the cat.

As things worked out, on the days my cat had to be out of the house, my neighbor kept the cat at her house. Any chance one of your children can kept the cat at their home while you are gone?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 AM

436 posts, read 573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

We prefer petsitters hands down - staying home surrounded by familiarity has worked out better for our cats (although none suffered ill effects from being boarded). A licensed and bonded petsitter, with whom you've met and interviewed and checked references, can be trusted.
I completely agree with this, the reason I didn't suggest as the OP said her husband wouldn't allow a stranger in the home. OP also indicated she is afraid that a realtor showing the home would accidentally let the cat out. It can be upsetting for the cat to be boarded but I think it would be devastating for all involved to lose the cat. I have a licensed bonded petsitter who watches my cats. I had an electronic lock installed for the front door that has a code on it, I change the code when I get back in town and I don't need the cat sitter to access my home anymore. That way I don't have to worry about giving my house key to someone or to have additional copies of my house key floating around.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:08 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,926,782 times
While replying I had completely forgotten about the house being shown. Duh on me. That can be a game-changer. Putting the house in no-show during the two weeks would be ideal, but not practical nor wise in the prime selling season. Although we prefer a petsitter, in a case of people coming and going while we're gone I might chose to board for peace of mind. Sometimes making sure a cat doesn't escape isn't the first thing a realtor or buyer is remembering when showing/seeing a house. (What's first in the mind is selling a property or potentially buying a new home.)

I would look for a cattery or at least a facility that well-separates dogs and cats. I would also, first choice, find a place that has a play space, but a large cage with multi-levels would be acceptable. It's only two weeks.

Mary2014 brings up an excellent point about vaccinations. Some boarding facilities require a ton more shots than others, so what is required is a necessary piece of information.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 329 times
We used to have pet sitters. Not any more. We have an outdoor video surveillance system and found out one wasn't coming. Which was pretty stupid since she knew we had the cameras. I always said we wouldn't board but we found a place inside a vet hospital with cat condos. They have someone all night since they are a 24/7 hospital. One of my babies won't eat while we are gone so they give her an appetite stimulant. If something goes awry they move the kitty to the hospital. They don't like us being gone but at least we know they are safe and cared for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats