Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 11:25 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times

Advertisements

I use worlds best cat litter. A year ago I noticed what seemed to be red specks in the litter. At first I thought it was my cat but upon inspection of the litter it seemed to be all around. As if it was part of the litter non clumped. I relaxed and went on my way. This was about a year ago.

But now.. I noticed it again. Seemingly more large. But, it is just specks. The only reason I see it is that my cats box is right next the toilet so sometimes I might be sitting right there before he buries it up.

I didn't notice it this morning but did this afternoon.

I went out and got a different kind of litter -- still worlds best -- but that too seemed to have things that could look like red specks. I mean you really have to examine it.

My cat is 12 years old and in good shape.

Anyone else ever noticed this with litter or had a cat where red specks were noticed prior to something more serious? I don't want to go to the vet because this very well could just be the litter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 01:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Are there any red specks in the litter container before you pour it? In the litter box, are the red specks throughout the litter, or just where the cat has peed or pooped?

Old 08-27-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Are there any red specks in the litter container before you pour it? In the litter box, are the red specks throughout the litter, or just where the cat has peed or pooped?
Both. It is impossible to say about it before it gets poured.. it is faint enough that it is hard to see unless you spread it out and look at it carefully.

I actually realized I had a urine test hanging around so I will test it and see what happens. It tests for blood in the urine.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Both. It is impossible to say about it before it gets poured.. it is faint enough that it is hard to see unless you spread it out and look at it carefully.

I actually realized I had a urine test hanging around so I will test it and see what happens. It tests for blood in the urine.
Pour some fresh litter from its container onto a newspaper (or whatever) so you can spread it around a bit. If you see the red specks, then they aren't coming from your cat, and are already in the litter. If you are only seeing the red specks where the cat has urinated (and nowhere else), then there may be something in the litter that's reacting the urine and turning a reddish color (I have no idea what).
I have my doubts that it's blood in the urine. If that were the case, I think the blood evidence would be much more obvious than just fine specks. But I understand your concern, and if all else fails, collect a clump of the used litter and have it checked by your vet.
Good luck.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:41 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
I use worlds best cat litter. A year ago I noticed what seemed to be red specks in the litter. At first I thought it was my cat but upon inspection of the litter it seemed to be all around. As if it was part of the litter non clumped. I relaxed and went on my way. This was about a year ago.

But now.. I noticed it again. Seemingly more large. But, it is just specks. The only reason I see it is that my cats box is right next the toilet so sometimes I might be sitting right there before he buries it up.

I didn't notice it this morning but did this afternoon.

I went out and got a different kind of litter -- still worlds best -- but that too seemed to have things that could look like red specks. I mean you really have to examine it.

My cat is 12 years old and in good shape.

Anyone else ever noticed this with litter or had a cat where red specks were noticed prior to something more serious? I don't want to go to the vet because this very well could just be the litter.

I would buy a new (smaller) bag of the same you are buying now. Tell the manager of the store, while in the store, and he will let you open it to see if the situation exists in the new bag. If it is, you can stop using that litter and donate the rest to a shelter if it bothers you. If it is not the same kind in a new bag, you definitely need to take kitty to the vet with a good size sample of what you are seeing in his litter.

What you should not do, is do nothing.
I used that W/Best brand for a year or so and stopped using it after awhile because after just one 'p' that litter gets mushy. The only litter I use now and for the past 3 years is Dr. Elsey's Precious Kitty. 20 lbs. about $13.

Please keep us posted. Thx

Old 08-27-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I would buy a new (smaller) bag of the same you are buying now.
I bought the worlds best but just a different color.

Ok, I tested my cat's urine at home. I had a test hanging around. It tests for blood in the urine. According to the test, there was none. So glad I have that test around. Also, fyi, I get the urine by putting a trash bag over the litter. For some reason my cat will still go. Then I stick the strip in. So I couldn't see any blood in the urine in the pure state.

Any suggestions on cat litter? I am getting sick of the world's best.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:00 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
Quote:

Ok, I tested my cat's urine at home. I had a test hanging around. It tests for blood in the urine. According to the test, there was none. So glad I have that test around. Also, fyi, I get the urine by putting a trash bag over the litter. For some reason my cat will still go. Then I stick the strip in. So I couldn't see any blood in the urine in the pure state.

Personally, I like Yesterday's News. It doesn't track, doesn't have dust, and it is good for the environment.

Cat

Old 08-27-2017, 07:18 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,253,478 times
I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra litter. I like it a lot. Since World's Best is made from corn, I wonder if the red specks are from red corn cobs?

Old 08-28-2017, 06:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:

Better cat litter? Yes. Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat I've found it to be the best ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats