Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 03:24 PM

725 posts, read 3,004,249 times

Advertisements

My BF just moved into my place with his cat (a ~7 year old Tuxedo, who is super sweet and loves to be petted). I have a 7 year old Papillion-mix dog who is also sweet and loves attention. We have brought his cat over on a couple occasions (for a weekend) as a meet and greet between the two and to see how they interact. Basically, my dog is curious and wants to see what she is all about. The cat isn't having any of it lol. She hisses and at first pawed at him. There were some barks in exchange. Admittedly, my dog does want to run after the cat when she jumps off the bed or to another room.

It's been about two weeks or so since BF has moved in. Cat does not paw as much as she used to (depending on her mood). Usually when she is asleep on our bed, she doesn't mind the dog as much. There was one night they were almost next to each other with no issues.

I'm wondering if anybody has ever introduced a new cat/dog dynamic into their home (given the pet's ages) and have any advice. I'd really like to know if eventually, one day, they'll be able to get along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 04:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,523,609 times
I've done it. The last time was with an adult feral cat. It should just be a matter of time for them. What they're doing now is normal. They may or may not become pals, but they will almost certainly get along. They're apparently already beginning.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:57 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,922,491 times
We've also done it a number of times with cats and dogs of varying ages, sometimes a new dog to a bunch of cats or a new cat into the family with an existing dog. None of the blending was ever the same nor took the same amount of time. Both of your animals have lived 7 years without a different species in their lives, so to already see a positive change within two short weeks is great.

It may come down to your dog always seeing the cat as something to chase in play, and the cat may never want to play OR the cat may say "hey, this is fun" and initiate it.

The one piece of advice I can give is to let them, the two of them, figure it out on their own. Humans tend to interfere too much and too often -- with all good intention, but it prevents cats and dogs from settling into their places in the family. Unless an interaction escalates into flying fur, barking or hissing that promotes horrific hissing and barking, or bared teeth that will assuredly morph into blood-shed (and none of this seems to be an issue for you at all!), then let them figure it out. And you can just sit back and purposely relax (key since cats and dogs sense what we're feeling and take on the same emotion). The cat will tell the dog what is acceptable and what isn't, and the dog will listen. It's not always pretty, but that's how they do communicate boundaries.

You didn't mention how/when/where you feed the two? Depending on the personality of our new cat or dog, we included in the introduction feeding them near each other. The dog and cats do not share food dishes (not allowed), but they do share water bowls (allowed and encouraged).

Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 AM

Thanks! The dog kind of whimpers around the cat (as if the cat is establishing dominance). She still hisses and he still chases her, I've noticed.

The dog food is in the bathroom (food and water bowl), and the cat food is in the main bedroom slightly elevated because the dog scarfs down the cat food, ugh. When the cat is eating, and the dog walks by, the cat hisses and the dog just walks around her.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,863,924 times
There will all ways be food issues with animals .
Dogs eat every thing, the smellier the better.
Use the same language with both animals and the same mannerisms this unites you and they together.
they understand there is a place and preferences for each of them. they will have to create an understanding between them on their own to some degree. but you must exercise uncompromising, united, dominance, as their masters. and provide consequences for bad behavior like a kennel or a designated room for a short time even a designated anchored leash, though that is a last resort on a particularly stubborn animal.
A completely different leash is used for walking the animals.
They are smarter than most people think ,but one must treat them like kids and it's a good premier to having kids , learning to be consistent and joint on decision making for them.
Animals need rules, and to know and respect your rules, just like kids need rules, and to respect your rules .

Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
Thanks! The dog kind of whimpers around the cat (as if the cat is establishing dominance). She still hisses and he still chases her, I've noticed.

The dog food is in the bathroom (food and water bowl), and the cat food is in the main bedroom slightly elevated because the dog scarfs down the cat food, ugh. When the cat is eating, and the dog walks by, the cat hisses and the dog just walks around her.
Cat food is very tasty to a dog - that I know from experience!

Curious if the cat ever goes into the bathroom where the dog's food is? If so, does the cat explore? And if so, what does the dog do?

It's also been my experience (which does not mean this is how it always is) that our cats have always ultimately become the dominant specie in the house. It's usually the cats who initiate play. If the dog tries first and the cats aren't in the mood, they let him know and he quits asking. It has taken our dogs time to learn, but eventually they do learn to understand the foreign cat language.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:40 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,724,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
This is very true! Most dogs don't even care if the cat food has already been eaten by the cat or not...it is still tasty to them!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
This is very true! Most dogs don't even care if the cat food has already been eaten by the cat or not...it is still tasty to them!
Oh for sure I know exactly what you mean!! Which is why I have a baby gate across the pantry door to keep the pooch out of the cat food dishes and litter box.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

Curious if the cat ever goes into the bathroom where the dog's food is? If so, does the cat explore? And if so, what does the dog do?
The litter box is currently in the same bathroom as the dog food. The cat doesn't eat the dog food. I do not notice the dog following her much lately. But he will stay his distance. I did, however, notice that the dog tried eating the cat poop the other day. Gross. Any suggestions on how to curb that? We are planning on moving the litter box into the guest bathroom (it was temporarily in the master bathroom until all the unpacking was done).

But a quick update... they seem to be getting along a lot more now. It's been about a month. AND last night I woke up and found my dog sleeping on my bed with the cat just a few inches away from him, with no problems! I woke my BF up out of excitement LOL. But I think that in turn made the cat nervous because she started to hiss a teeny bit.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,253,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nginmyheart View Post
The litter box is currently in the same bathroom as the dog food. The cat doesn't eat the dog food. I do not notice the dog following her much lately. But he will stay his distance. I did, however, notice that the dog tried eating the cat poop the other day. Gross. Any suggestions on how to curb that? We are planning on moving the litter box into the guest bathroom (it was temporarily in the master bathroom until all the unpacking was done).

But a quick update... they seem to be getting along a lot more now. It's been about a month. AND last night I woke up and found my dog sleeping on my bed with the cat just a few inches away from him, with no problems! I woke my BF up out of excitement LOL. But I think that in turn made the cat nervous because she started to hiss a teeny bit.
My wife & I had 7 cats and 2 Yorkies at one time, and we had to elevate the litter boxes to keep the dogs out of them (with ramps & steps for the cats). But they were in a utility room, so we had the space to do it and you may not in a small bathroom. Raising up the litter boxes is the best way I know to keep small/medium sized dogs out, if you can arrange it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats