Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,807,259 times

Advertisements

Very clever.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152906341239843
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 01:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,255,606 times
A very cute & creative video. I hope they have great success in spreading the word with it.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:43 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,363,882 times
I think one needs to consider the genetic aspects of spay and neuter. If you believe in evolution, Darwin, all of that stuff, one would be choosing the genetic winners in life. This would eliminate the genes of nearly 100% of family pets and a significant % of ferals who are tame enough to be caught with catfood as bait. I'm not sure most of the spay and neuter advocates would really want to see the gene pool manipulated like that.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:51 AM

30,254 posts, read 16,012,546 times
It's more about over population than genetics.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I think one needs to consider the genetic aspects of spay and neuter. If you believe in evolution, Darwin, all of that stuff, one would be choosing the genetic winners in life. This would eliminate the genes of nearly 100% of family pets and a significant % of ferals who are tame enough to be caught with catfood as bait. I'm not sure most of the spay and neuter advocates would really want to see the gene pool manipulated like that.
Believe me...plenty of backyard breeders and puppy mills will keep the genes going. We will never have to worry about that. In the meantime we need to keep the dogs who are alive from reproducing on the streets where their puppies perish agonizing deaths. We need to outlaw people giving dogs and cats away from shopping centers,k craigslist, etc. pet ownership is a privilege not a right.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Believe me...plenty of backyard breeders and puppy mills will keep the genes going. We will never have to worry about that. In the meantime we need to keep the dogs who are alive from reproducing on the streets where their puppies perish agonizing deaths. We need to outlaw people giving dogs and cats away from shopping centers,k craigslist, etc. pet ownership is a privilege not a right.

Actually, I see cats and dogs quite differently. Dogs are not really acceptable as feral pack animals. They are simply too dangerous to children. Probably the main reason why they have never been tolerated as ferals.

As for cats, they seem to do pretty well in an urban environment, and I assume that despite the efforts of catch and release agents, their population normalizes by natural consequence. Of course, I would like to pamper every kitty with all of the luxuries of pet life, but absent that they seem to do pretty well on their own.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Actually, I see cats and dogs quite differently. Dogs are not really acceptable as feral pack animals. They are simply too dangerous to children. Probably the main reason why they have never been tolerated as ferals.

As for cats, they seem to do pretty well in an urban environment, and I assume that despite the efforts of catch and release agents, their population normalizes by natural consequence. Of course, I would like to pamper every kitty with all of the luxuries of pet life, but absent that they seem to do pretty well on their own.
Maybe, if you don't figure in shortened lifespans from disease, predation, injuries with no medical care, starvation from lack of prey, extremes of weather, etc. They may survive, but I don't know about 'doing pretty well'.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Maybe, if you don't figure in shortened lifespans from disease, predation, injuries with no medical care, starvation from lack of prey, extremes of weather, etc. They may survive, but I don't know about 'doing pretty well'.

They are, after all, wild animals. I don't think I have ever seen a feral cat corpse except maybe on the highway. So, life may be tough but then life is tough. Just because nature poses some risks, doesn't meant the animals should not be allowed to breed.

For my part, I'd love to protect every cat. But, not every cat would want my protection.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
They are, after all, wild animals. I don't think I have ever seen a feral cat corpse except maybe on the highway. So, life may be tough but then life is tough. Just because nature poses some risks, doesn't meant the animals should not be allowed to breed.

For my part, I'd love to protect every cat. But, not every cat would want my protection.
Most are perhaps, but not all of them. A good portion of feral cats may have had a home at one time, but were dumped, turned out, or abandoned by their humans. Their chances of survival may be somewhat less than that of a feral born cat.
I see nothing wrong with trying to reduce the numbers of future cats (with TNR) that may have to live that 'tough life'. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Too many people think it is OK to poison feral cats. So there have to be dead bodies even if you haven't seen them. Remember ferals are the first to be euthanized when picked up by animal contro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats