Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 05:44 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
So sorry to hear you lost him. Most here have been where you are, and it really sucks.

It's a matter of personal choice, but in recent years I've opted for cremation for my furkids. I'm going to keep their ashes and leave instructions for them to be mixed with mine when that time comes. For some reason that thought gives me comfort.
I can certainly understand that comfort. I never saved ashes, not even of family members. Released my mother to the Atlantic ocean years ago. this is where she spent many happy hours in her youth and I knew she would like that even though we never discussed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
My cat just passed away early this morning. His exact age can not be accurately determined, however we had him for the past 11 years. When we adopted him, his record indicates he was 2-3 years old, that'd make him about 13-14 years old.

Sad day ... we adopted the cat when my daughter was 8. The cat has been a family member.

There is a pet cemetery locally, we are thinking about cremation and keep his ashes in a urn in the house?

((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))) ))

I am so sorry.

I have had all the ones that I lost cremated. The first one (Swatcha) I just couldn't handle keeping the ashes and I told the vet to scatter the ashes somewhere for me. The next three, I asked the vet to get a whisker for me and to hold on to the ashes for me because I still couldn't handle keeping them. They did some renovations and couldn't hold on to them for me any more so I had to take them. By that time, I was ok with taking them. However, they never did find Sheena. When I lost the last one (Andy), not only did they cremate him, and took a whisker like I asked, this time, they had his paw print in hardened clay and a bit of his fur.

In terms of keeping the ashes, I am able to handle that now, unlike I was when I lost Swatcha. I now have a place where I keep all the 3 ashes that I have.

Cat

Old 05-17-2017, 01:27 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
My cat just passed away early this morning. His exact age can not be accurately determined, however we had him for the past 11 years. When we adopted him, his record indicates he was 2-3 years old, that'd make him about 13-14 years old.

Sad day ... we adopted the cat when my daughter was 8. The cat has been a family member.

There is a pet cemetery locally, we are thinking about cremation and keep his ashes in a urn in the house?
I'm so sorry for your loss. Most of us here can sadly relate.

We have our Tucker's ashes in an urn in a special place of honor. There are websites with a multitude of pet urns you can order, even customize (we did this with his name and dates). They were less expensive than I expected too.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:04 PM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
Thanks everyone for your kind words for my loss of family cat ... after days of grieving, we found that we can not have catless life, so we bought a 3 months old Scottish Fold kitten from a regional breeder. This is a super cutie for sure, he drew a small crowd whenever noticed at the airport when we brought him home. Must share cat videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9PNAXUXWc

Old 05-20-2017, 06:45 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
My vet says my 11-year-old tuxies are senior cats, but they say differently every morning/night when they chase each other all over the house.

That said, I do have the vet take a senior blood panel on them during their annual visit.
If the situation warrants, I'll increase the visit to twice a year, but for now they're healthy and full of energy.

Quote:
My cat just passed away early this morning.
I'm sorry about your cat. And congratulations on the new family member. He's a cutie.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:03 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your kind words for my loss of family cat ... after days of grieving, we found that we can not have catless life, so we bought a 3 months old Scottish Fold kitten from a regional breeder. This is a super cutie for sure, he drew a small crowd whenever noticed at the airport when we brought him home. Must share cat videos:

Congrats. He is a cutie.

Cat

Old 05-21-2017, 03:34 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:

Adding my congratulations as well. Some of us find it very hard to not be owned by a cat. It's sort of like a ship without a captain..... something's just not right.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Is a 13-year-old cat "old" in your opinion? Have you had cats that age?

I was at the veterinarian the other day, and she referred to my 13-year-old cat as a senior and said that my cat should get a "senior's" blood work-up to check for pancreatic function and things like that.

I'm fine with the bloodwork etc, but my question is, in your experience, those of you who are cat owners, do you think a cat that age is old? She's full of spunk and still plays; she's an indoor cat. I'm hoping she has several more years of healthy living ahead of her.
They're technically "seniors" these days at age 8 (I think because vets can then begin pushing senior tests and procedures and food).

Longevity depends on the breed. Some of the larger ones (MC, NFC) that are prone to HCM and other genetic diseases have a lifespan of 13-15 years, while many DSHs can live into their 20s.

If I could, I have a piggy-back question: how do you determine a cat's age if it's a stray and it's unknown?

Old 01-13-2020, 02:30 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They're technically "seniors" these days at age 8 (I think because vets can then begin pushing senior tests and procedures and food).

Longevity depends on the breed. Some of the larger ones (MC, NFC) that are prone to HCM and other genetic diseases have a lifespan of 13-15 years, while many DSHs can live into their 20s.

If I could, I have a piggy-back question: how do you determine a cat's age if it's a stray and it's unknown?
Answer: you can't really. We've asked 3 vets & will see yet a new one in a month or so for our unknown age girl.

We caught her w/ an abdominal scar, indicating most likely previous spay (so poss stray not a feral), in 8/09 & 1st vet said about 1-1.5 yrs then but who knows if true.

Then 2nd vet did I-131 radiation on Hyperthyroid in 4/12 & said she looks a bit older than 4, maybe 6 or so. Then the same yr we got a new vet to be her pcp & she said no idea but older than that maybe. So take your pick.

Then her r. eye was removed by eye surgeon in 8/19 for Glaucoma from acute cutting injury to ye lens (no idea ow she got out & may have been scratched by outdoor apt cats) & he said, she seems biologically younger but chrono older.

Maybe 13-15?? So, we think low end, 12-13. High end 14-15. You cant go by teeth or eyes or markings or anyhting solid the vets all tell me. p

Old 01-13-2020, 05:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
I think they’re definitely seniors at that point. My cat died at 14 but cats can certainly live longer. It depends on the individual health, exercise, diet, and a bit of luck. My neighbor’s cat is 20!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats