Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Color of Your Oldest Cat
Black & White 13 22.03%
Red/Orange/Creme 11 18.64%
Tabby (gray tiger stripe) 5 8.47%
Calico (with white) 6 10.17%
Tortoiseshell (black calico) 5 8.47%
Solid color: Black/white/gray 16 27.12%
Siamese/Snowshoe/Ragdoll 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:29 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

Did you have a cat that lived a very long life? Like 15+ years. What color was that cat? I've had 2 black and white (tuxedo) cats that both lived past 15yrs.

If you had a gray and white, please vote with black and white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 06:50 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
When I was a little girl, my mom kicked my cats out of the house. I had one crème calico cat that lived to be about eight years old outside. I'm guessing she learned to be very wild, but she was always gentle to me. That's a long time for an outside-only cat, given all of the dangers they face. Had she been allowed to remain a primarily inside-only cat, like she was previously, I probably would have had her until I started high school. That's not what happened, though, she escaped, wasn't fixed, got pregnant, and had kittens. Mom found out and kicked my dear cat and her kittens out, and so my old pets gradually turned wild to survive. I kept in contact with them, though, and continued to pet, feed, and care for them. I didn't want them to go to kill shelters or be taken off of the property, so I let them remain in the backyard as half-wild outside only cats that came and went as they pleased.

After hanging out on the cat forums a little, though, and remembering recent events, as well as the fate that led to my childhood pet's demise, I think if I get another cat, it will be an inside-only (or only supervised visits outside on a leash) cat, if I can possibly make it so. I don't like to deny cats access to the outside entirely, so I guess scheduling a walk a few days a week wouldn't hurt. (I know cats sometimes get spooked by the noise of machinery and automobiles, so I would probably need to take her to a quiet area to go on walks or somehow condition her to tolerate the noise, but I guess I will have that adventure when I get there.)

Last edited by krmb; 05-03-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 05-03-2015, 07:18 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Elsa was pure white - angora. She was 20.

Daisy was a dilute gray tortie. Short hair. She was 17.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:36 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Lisa is my daughters cat. She's a white and black Tabby striped farm cat, 20 years old in June. Sleeps a lot and has few teeth left but she's still bright in the eyes and takes no crap from the neighbor cats when she's prowling around the house. Doesn't like the grandson, there was an incident with some chopsticks awhile ago. She gave him one of lifes lessons, it was the only time she ever drew blood on him. A stare of death or if needed a swift slap with a paw is all it takes to keep him in line now.

She's a beloved pet of the household and we will all miss her when she goes.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:32 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Off topic, but:

I kind of wish I were a cat. Those claws and fast reflexes would make substitute teaching a bit easier...

Old 05-03-2015, 08:38 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
My daughter's cat was a long-haired orange handsome boy. He lived to be 17 years old.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:09 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Little Guy (who arguably was never given a "permanent" name) died of distemper at only 4 months. He was a tuxedo.
Mame (greenish-brown tabby) and her son Fluffy (short-haired so don't ask), who was a "red" tabby, died of congenital CRF, she at approximately 9-10 years and he two years subsequently at almost ten. This was back in the '70s when treatments and diets weren't at nearly the stage of effectiveness they are now.

Fast-forward all too many years...Weasie (August 1992 - January 2012) was a white-chinned gray tabby.

The present feline owners of me are Blaliko (self-explanatory), whose age has been estimated at approximately five years, and her daughter Seteria (white short-hair with large gray patches) - born in March 2012. Long may they both live!

Thanks, OP, for dreaming up this interesting subject.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:31 AM

576 posts, read 421,982 times
CC he was a grey tabey lived for 21 years

Old 05-03-2015, 11:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
George was an apple-faced island Siamese (Heinz 57 variety) who I adopted when he was 16 (documented age, he'd been with his family since he was a baby) and he passed away quietly at home when he was 24.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:08 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
My oldest was Brandy who was a torti. She lived to be 18. At the end, she had thyroid problems, kidney problems, and probably a few other things. We were taking her to the vet every week to get fluids. I wonder how long she would have lived without it.

Next was Sheena who was mostly white but had some dark tiger markings. She lived to be 17. She was probably blind towards the end & senile. She couldn't back up and she got into a corner and couldn't get herself out again. She really was a pitiful sight towards the end. Going from a beautiful princess to someone who stopped grooming herself-she turned kind of gray. Grizabella from Cats always remind me of Sheena. I once was watching it with my step-daughter and told her that and half way through, she turned to me and said, "You are right. That IS Sheena."

My three black males all lived to be about 15.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats