Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 09:27 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,040 times

Advertisements

Howdy, Cat Owners.

I have a situation that requires the help of cat experts. I'll try to explain it the best I can.

We have several indoor cats at our house. These are my wife's pets from before we got together. Because I'm allergic to them they are not allowed in the main part of the house. We have an enclosed garage so we built kind of a "kitty apartment" in there and they seem to enjoy it. They feel safe and secure.

We have plenty of litter boxes for them, and the litter boxes get cleaned twice a day. We reuse plastic grocery shopping bags for holding one "cleanings" worth of litter. Then the plastic bag gets tied up and placed into an empty plastic kitty litter container. Once the kitty litter container (we have two such containers) is full it gets emptied into a larger plastic bag, sealed, and placed in the outside trash bin for pickup on trash day.

The empty plastic kitty litter containers have a pretty good lid on them that contains the odors. With two such containers, combined with our twice a day cleaning schedule, we only have to make one trip to the outside trash bin on the night prior to trash pickup day.

Here's the problem. We no longer purchase kitty litter in those large plastic containers. We buy it in cardboard containers now. And, the lids on the current plastic containers are starting to crack from age and use. They aren't containing the odors as well anymore.

I've been researching some odor containing trash cans, in the 4-10 gallon range, that might work as replacements. But, the ones I'm finding, that have good sealing lids, are in the $80-$100 range or more.

Any suggestions on types/brands of litter containers that will contain odors?

Last edited by ron1999; 05-13-2015 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 09:51 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
I use a Litter Genie and it works well to control odors. However, you do need to buy bag refills. You might be able to stick a plastic shopping bag in there instead--I haven't tried this but it could be worth trying. The good news is that they aren't that expensive, especially if you search for a coupon. The bad news is that you'll probably need at least two if you have more than two cats, because the capacity isn't that huge.

I often see empty plastic litter containers tossed to the curb or put out for the trash. Perhaps you could find a few that way--or ask friends or co-workers if they can save their empties.

You could also buy a couple of new ones just to save the container.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:58 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I use a Litter Genie and it works well to control odors. However, you do need to buy bag refills. You might be able to stick a plastic shopping bag in there instead--I haven't tried this but it could be worth trying. The good news is that they aren't that expensive, especially if you search for a coupon. The bad news is that you'll probably need at least two if you have more than two cats, because the capacity isn't that huge.

I often see empty plastic litter containers tossed to the curb or put out for the trash. Perhaps you could find a few that way--or ask friends or co-workers if they can save their empties.

You could also buy a couple of new ones just to save the container.

I saw those Litter Genie's, but I'd rather use the plastic bags we already have instead of having to purchase even more plastic bags for the Genie.

We thought about buying litter, in the plastic containers, to have new ones to use. But, I was thinking a couple of odor control trash cans might work better.

If I can't find one then we'll fall back on buying a couple of plastic litter containers and reusing them like we have been.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
I take the trash out in the morning and at night.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 AM

125 posts, read 128,003 times
Buy some empty five gallon paint buckets. They work and are cheap. They are sold at Home Depot, Most major paint stores have them also.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:35 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillinout123 View Post
Buy some empty five gallon paint buckets. They work and are cheap. They are sold at Home Depot, Most major paint stores have them also.
Oh that's a great idea! I also wonder if you couldn't find something at a thrift store, either a small waste can or other container.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:27 AM

125 posts, read 128,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Oh that's a great idea! I also wonder if you couldn't find something at a thrift store, either a small waste can or other container.
You probably could, but while trying to find something that might work, this is a cheap alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats