Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 16,363 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I am very new to this but wanted to know whether anyone can help with a question regarding my "CoonCat" Shedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 11:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I assume you mean that the cat sheds all over the house. It helps a lot to use a wire brush on them. I got one at a cat show which has a wire brush on one side and a soft brush on the other, to remove the hair loosened by the wire. They help a lot, although you'll never get rid of all of it.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 AM

35 posts, read 195,296 times
I just found out recently what induces cats to shed....it's the sunlight! So of course, the little darlings shed more in the summer than in winter. When I pet my British Blue, every stroke gets a handful of fur! Should have saved it all (she's 15) and made myself a sweater....
I know this doesn't help answer your question, but I thought it was interesting...

gracemycat
(Linda)

Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 PM

25 posts, read 187,236 times
You've got to brush them all the time. It helps, trust me.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:43 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,150 times
Try the FURminator (furminator.com). It comes in different sizes and can be used on cats and dogs.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
gracemycat: My cats live strictly indoors, get negligible sunlight, yet still manage to shed copiously. I think they just shed more in summer because the temperature of the house is about six or eight degrees warmer, or possibly it's got something to do with their internal clocks or the length of the days...I really don't know. They never stop shedding.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 AM

39 posts, read 193,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
Try the FURminator (furminator.com). It comes in different sizes and can be used on cats and dogs.
Hi!

Just read about this furminator in the Consumer Reports and it rated well. With our Maine Coon, we gave him a lions clip this summer. (The motivator was that our air conditioning went out and the temps were well over 100 degrees.) It has worked so well!

The Maine Coon has hair and also a downlike fur underneath it that is much like Angora. You must bathe your cat regularly, rinse it with a mix of white vinegar and water and brush it daily to keep the fur under control unless you take it to a groomer.

Our Rocky looks adorable and much like a lion with his hair cut and it has been a real God send in controlling the loose hair.

Diana

Old 08-06-2007, 08:46 PM

35 posts, read 195,296 times
catman....I guess because I live further north, we do have way different daylight/ nighttime hours than you lucky folk down south....I don't have to vacuum nearly so much in the winter...The spot where Grace sleeps on the couch has a gray sheen every day right now. Next time, maybe I'll try one of those Sphynx kitties...probable have to make it a sweater, then....
Aren't cats wonderful?

gracemycat

Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 16,363 times
Hi guys,
Thank you your replies, but it doesnt look like the regular shedding. I do have to admit that it very hot here though ...Hight 80-90's right now.
At first i thought someone was being mean and shaved her but then it just got worst and now the furriest part of her is around the face.
I was also concerned since i had recently adopted a new cat, that she seem to absolutely hate..i wonder whether this was an effect of jealousy.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:34 PM

39 posts, read 193,713 times
If you are finding patches of fur, it may be a domination struggle. Our Maine Coon every once in a while gets a patch pulled still by one of the others. He is so mild mannered but when he wants to play he just doesn't know his own strength! In retaliation, the others will sometimes get ahold of a small patch of his fur and run.

I have heard of animals have fall out from heat, stress, and yes even jealousy.

Diana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats