Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:56 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times

Advertisements

I have never met a cat with a poor memory. But, I an convinced they have very selective memories and only respond to what they like.

They can remember the sound of an electric can opener ther first time you use it to open a can of 'Fancy Feast" but they will never remember the word no, no matter how often they hear it.

Our cats travel with us often and look forward to seeing the cat carriers. Especially if we are going in the Motor Home.

As their "Good Trips" far out number vet trips, they show no anxiety over a carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:24 PM

289 posts, read 450,552 times
[quote=fluffythewondercat;39941768]She had a soft-sided carrier that I put on the passenger seat and left the top unzipped so I could keep a hand on her while driving one-handed. I would make up songs for her. She liked it. After the first time she never fought about getting into the carrier; sometimes at home she slept in it.
quote]

Yeah, I talk to my cat all the way to the store. Today she was the chattiest I've ever heard/seen. I'm pretty sure it was 'F U' over and over and over!

At home she sometimes hangs out near her carrier and just stares into it. So strange.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:31 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
At home she sometimes hangs out near her carrier and just stares into it. So strange.
That's funny. ^^^ Maybe if you put a blanket in it, she will make a little nest in there. I just moved to a new house. I brought the cats in the first day, set their carriers on the kitchen floor and opened the doors. They stayed in their crates for about 20 minutes! Then I went to check and the female was in the male's carrier and they were huddled together. lol Finally after about a half hour the female ventured out on her own. 10 minutes later I took the male out of his carrier. He might still be in it to this day. I don't know if they were hiding because they thought the vet was coming or what??

Old 06-08-2015, 10:44 PM

436 posts, read 579,268 times
All of my cats have less than fond memories of the cat carrier. I get the carrier down a few days before and sit it in the floor. Then when I am scooping the litter box, I snatch the audience member I need to take to the vet and put him/her in the carrier. The other cat then suddenly remembers carrier = evil and starts evasive action to try to avoid the carrier.

They do seem to remember negative things, like getting their bell rung when I shut a door too quick and they took one to the head, that memory would last a few weeks where they would cut a wide path around the door. I think when you haven't done something in a while the cat will still remember as cats seem to be very good at pattern recognition.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:10 AM

136 posts, read 210,976 times
Had a super friendly cat except that he hated Black men and would growel and hiss at them. We did not know why he behaved so badly until one day it occurred to us that he must have remembered getting fixed by our friend Earl who ran a low cost spade and neuter clinic. There could be no other explanation.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:40 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
Cats have good memories. When I was in college, one of my friends teased my cat. From then on, whenever he came over the cat would hiss at him. lol That cat never forgot.
They sure remember stuff like this! When our Tucker was young (around 1), my dad teased him. Tucker never liked him after that and would run away when dad visited. He didn't mind other men, just my dad.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:59 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
I had an elderly tabby cat who got out and tangled with a raccoon. I had to take him to the vet to get stitched up. Normally, he hated his carrier, but after the vet was through with him, he ran into the carrier without any coaxing. I could almost hear him saying, "Let's go home, NOW!"

Old 06-09-2015, 06:45 PM

426 posts, read 506,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
What I usually do is bring the carrier out 1-2 days before the vet visit and let it just sit around until they get over it. Then, when the time comes we scoop them up. The cats don't seem to remember this tactic.
I thought that would be a great idea before we moved out of state, because they would always run and hide whenever the boxes came out. However, it was a big mistake. They just ran and hid sooner and I think it traumatized them more. I had to really hunt them down. Then, they usually would be under the bed- but in the middle, where there was no way you could reach them. Had to use a broom to get them out and then the chase was on!

BTW, can't believe I just found this part of the forum! Very funny postings, of course!

Old 06-10-2015, 01:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycat View Post
I thought that would be a great idea before we moved out of state, because they would always run and hide whenever the boxes came out. However, it was a big mistake. They just ran and hid sooner and I think it traumatized them more. I had to really hunt them down. Then, they usually would be under the bed- but in the middle, where there was no way you could reach them. Had to use a broom to get them out and then the chase was on!

BTW, can't believe I just found this part of the forum! Very funny postings, of course!
That's because it's almost a requirement to have a sense of humor if you live with cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats