Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times

Advertisements

Cats can scare the hell out of us. I came home one day and Scooter, who would always greet me like a dog would, was under a table and looking not good. She had no energy and just laid there. I said "Oh, Scooter, don't die on me !" and I rushed her to an emergency clinic that was open at night.

They found nothing specific, and a couple of days later Scooter was back to normal. Never knew what was wrong, but she was definitely sick.

I wish the best for Jonas, and it sounds like there is a little improvement today. We are right there with you.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 AM

351 posts, read 587,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
That's actually an interesting idea! Jonas doesn't have eyes, so I can't see if they get glassy or glazed over. But I have witnessed the lethargy that follows seizures in many animals. It could possibly explain when he seems to phase in and out of the lethargic phase throughout the day. I think this is probably a long shot as far as an explanation, but certainly something to bring up with his doctors!

Can you tell me if Angel had any other symptoms post-seizure other than the lethargy? Did she drool, perhaps, seem disorientated, urinate outside the box, etc? Most of the animals I witnessed post-seizure had grand mals (as that type of seizure will get most owners to rush them to the vet.) It would be interesting to hear about post-seizure behavior in an animal with an absence or petit mal seizure.
He didn't have a petit mal seizure. I did notice on 2 occasions when I was observing him just before he had those seizures that he sneezed twice just before it started. He didn't drool, or have any of the other symptoms you mentioned. Just like people, every cat is different. I'm just glad he hasn't had a seizure for a little over a year now. I believe the coconut oil which I give to him with a teaspoon about once to twice a month has helped since this type of oil is suppose to be good fot cognitive function.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:39 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,891 times
I'm sorry. I know how you feel and have been there with my cats. It is agonizing not knowing. I hope you get some answers and that Jonas keeps improving. I am glad to hear he is eating. I'll be sending positive thoughts and prayers his way.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:08 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm sorry Jonas isn't doing well. All the best to you both.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:19 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Hugs and good thoughts to you and Jonas!

Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
So very sorry to hear you're going through this. The worst part is not knowing what you're dealing with. I hope you can find some answers, and that whatever is going on is treatable. Wishing the best for you & JJ.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:20 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Keep us updated. I hope they can somehow find the problem.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:25 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That is for the OP to decide, NO ONE ELSE, and the OP should not be bullied in to that decision.

Parallel, have you gone to any other vets for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions? You know your cat better than anyone, so if you think something is being missed, you're probably right.

I asked a simple reasonable for the situation question and I see no one bullying anyone except for you attempting to make me look like a bully.

It is a fact of life that animals die as well as humans, it is also a fact of life that humans will do whatever they think is right to keep an animal or a human alive without giving thought to the quality of that animal or human's life.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:04 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
I didn't say anything, but you were assuming a lot, and not being very tactful toward someone in a painful situation. If you read all the post objectively you'd see it wasn't time yet to decide JJ is beyond help. Cats can seem critically ill from a relatively simple problem-or even be critically ill, but with a relatively simple fix once the problem is discovered. She needs more information before reaching that decision. If she gets information that's not good, or this goes on too long, I know she will do what needs to be done, no matter how much it hurts, as she said she would.
I've seen people try to keep animals alive far too long, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Even in other cases when it is, a little kindness in suggesting that it's time is the least people can do for someone facing such a loss.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:56 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Hope things are going better for you and your boy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats