Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,133 times

Advertisements

I have an Ocicat experience & actually just found out from my vet & catster.com that I have an Ocicat. I had no idea what they were last week & now I know that I own one!

My 5 month old kitty Deeno, I've been describing him as a leopard print tabby & others on this cat forum know that my kitty LOVES water! He will waddle in the tub with water up to his neck & just purr. I'm always in the tub with him & he just cannot get enough! He looks forward to when I get the towel, though, b'c he likes to be dried off.

Deeno also fetches. He has a little teddy bear, that I need to sew up! & he will fetch it as long as you keep on throwing it. He brings it right back to my feet & anticipates which way I will toss it next.

He is also VERY good at coming when his name is called. I can say his name once & here he comes!

High energy is an understatement!!! Deeno is into everything!! He listens well, though. If you tell him to stop he will. He chews on everything, including my hands & toes.

Such a beautiful animal! His leopard coat, his tail is slightly mohawked where the thick stripes come together at the end. His big ears & big paws.
I knew something was different about him once he started growing up a little. And trust me, I've had my share of cats since I was a little girl!! I rescued him & his 2 brothers & sister this past summer not knowing that they were any different from any other litter of kitties I could have taken in.

I won't be trading him in any time soon!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 02:51 PM

This isn't the best photo, it doesn't do his leopard print any justice.
But I just NEEDED to show my little Deeno off!
Isn't he such a little man?!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,555,813 times
Wow, I never knew all those things about the breed. Maybe I'll get one too! LOL Share some more pictures. I know we all would love to see them! Were they a dump litter?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:42 AM

305 posts, read 1,609,615 times
Deeno is beautiful! Makes me want one even more.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Wow, I never knew all those things about the breed. Maybe I'll get one too! LOL Share some more pictures. I know we all would love to see them! Were they a dump litter?
I'm not sure if they were a dump litter or not. A grandma cat that hangs around our house had a litter spring '07 & they all grew up. I think she was stealing them from somewhere in our neighborhood & dropping them off on my doorstep!
I wasn't about to go knocking door to door to see if anyone was missing kittens & I kept an eye out for posters on lightposts & the local paper's Lost & Found section. Nothing.
So, I found homes for the other 3 & kept the one. I'm SO glad we didn't find a home for Deeno, we just fell in love with him! Here's a pic from last night!

We are moving, so there are boxes all over the house. Deeno is having a blast! So much to climb on, jump in & all kinds of places to hide so that he can jump out when we least expect it. But what he does't realize is that I'm just as good at hiding & jumping out at him! It's hilarious when I catch him off guard, he arches his back & walks all funny sideways!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,483 times
Have you found a cat yet?

Old 06-04-2008, 06:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKnox View Post
Hello Feline Friends!

My fiance and I are thinking that we'll be needing a cat once we get married and merge households. We've done some preliminary research, and while I'm totally cool with getting a cute kitten from the Humane Society, he wants something "cool."

Cool means something that looks kind of wild, but is friendly and sweet in temperament. We think Ocicats may fit the bill, but the price tag is kind of steep, and we're finding it hard to locate breeders.

Anyone have an Ocicat? Know of breeders in the Pacific North West? What is their temperment really like? Also, we've read they're clever and get into things, is this troublesome and pesky (will I need to "catproof" my home)? Are they worth the money, or will the cute cinnnamon tabby at the HS do just as well?

Thanks!
You can ggole occicat rescue and find one near you. You might prefer to get a slightly older cat to avoid all the kitten-hell of a younger one. That way, you can also do good for an animal in need!

Old 10-09-2008, 02:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,145,991 times
Default Oci-cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKnox View Post
Hello Feline Friends!

Anyone have an Ocicat? Know of breeders in the Pacific North West? What is their temperment really like? Also, we've read they're clever and get into things, is this troublesome and pesky (will I need to "catproof" my home)? Are they worth the money, or will the cute cinnnamon tabby at the HS do just as well? Thanks!
Hi Foxyknox,

We are the proud owners of a pure bred 7 year old Oci-cat and all I can say is once you have had one you will be addicted! We didn't pay a great deal of money for him as he was an ex stud cat and about 2 years old when we adopted him, he is incredible in nature, so affectionate like a baby, the only thing I would say is don't get one if he is going to be on his own a lot as they crave human company he also adores our 3 year Irish Wolfhound who he frequently talks to (the dog just looks at him like his is crazy!) . Don't know any breeders as we live in the UK. Yes there are hundreds of kitties wanting loving homes but sadly there always will be so do what you feel comfortable with, if you want a specific breed then do it, we have had pure bred cats and rescues but I have to say by far he has been one of the most gorgeous cats we have ever had. The only downside is of his character is that he is completely (& I mean completely) fearless of anything or anyone, he seems to think he is invincible and I have to watch him with dogs as he will just go straight up to them which can put me on edge a bit! If you want anymore info on them please feel free to PM us . In the meantime, here are some photos of him, he is a big boy weighing in at probably around 16 lbs:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/Mellonz/IMG_2579.jpg (broken link)

ps. this brede is 100% domestic, there is no Ocelot in them, just the name was taken from the Ocelot as they resemble them with their spots, they were orginally bred with a Siamese and Abysinnian cat, hence the great character

Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,392 times
Thumbs down I Have An Ocicat

Hello! I have an Ocicat, actually two, but one has been lost for months, I'm still trying to find him. I got two boys, one named Beethoven (on my lap) and Chopin (the one who's lost). I just love these little Ocicats! After losing Chopin I wouldn't recommend letting them go outdoors. I've been worried that Chopin may have been stolen for his beauty. Or maybe that the first three months of his life spent in a cage at a cattery may have made him less domesticated and prepared for the world. I don't know, I just don't know what happened to him. But they are both just a joy! They each have different personalities, but are full of personality! They seem to be very smart too. They're meows are hilarious. Beethoven makes tweety noises and has his own little language of noises. Chopin has a deeper voice similar to a siamese and speaks in "Rrr" noises. They are very rambuncious and like to run 80 mph when not sleeping. I've found that a large selection of toys keeps them busy and gives them something to destroy other than the whole house. Beethoven has an outgoing personality and is very nosey. Chopin is more careful and less trusting of strangers but Beethoven instigates lots of messes for the two of them to get into. I'll never forget the time they broke into the cabinet and mixed country gravy mix with maple syrup into a huge mess all over the floor. Beethoven removes items from cabinets still, good luck finding stuff! Chopin is a serious feather killer. When he gets the feather toy he means business. Beethoven is more dog like, he will fetch small tennis balls and bring them back. These ocicats demand interactive play! They will mope around waiting for our next game I play with them. It's nice that all those people are encouraging people to adopt pets from shelters so the sweet things won't be put to sleep. But get whatever cat you want! Ocicats need homes too!
Melissa
Kansas City, MO
cookies@ix.netcom.com

Old 01-11-2015, 12:14 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
Default I *think* I have an Oci

I got a rescue that sent me on a search and along the way I found this great thread. It's been a while since anyone posted to it, but I thought I'd add my photos - and questions for those who know the Oci well.

The reason I say "I think" I have one is that the shelter had it listed as an ocelot.
Now I know that they don't always know their breeds unless it's a purebred that comes in as a surrendered or found pet. Sometimes one can guess pretty closely at the mix, but not always. So when this young one was called an ocelot, I figured I'd better look into it.

What I came up with is the "classic patterned" Oci -- not as common as the spotted; the patterns of the markings are pretty much what is described: butterfly pattern on the shoulders, stripes lenghtwise down the back, circle on each side of the torso, lighter spotted tummy, etc. Lots of ticking. Someone told me that this is just a tabby, not even a mix. Now I'm wondering, because the personality and characteristics are as described for the Oci, the body is lanky (as the Aby) and hairs are ticked, sparkling in the light.

I once lucked out and got a purebred Abyssinian from rescue, so I'm thinking "why not an Oci?" Even an Oci mix would be great. After all, the breed comes from the Aby and Siamese.

By the way, for those looking for a special breed of cat (or dog), or even just a domestic shorthair, a good site is ̢ۥ Rescue Me! ̢ۥ Adopt Dogs, Cats & More ̢ۥ Sometimes private people, along with shelters from all over, list their pets when they need to rehome for some reason. Good site, and you can specify your geographical area.

So, here are two shots of my Oci. She's 9 months old, and not really gray as she looks in the one photo. She's darker, sometimes almost black striped with the shades of tan, depending on how the light hits her.
On the one shot you can clearly see the circle/hoop pattern on her side. She has one on the other side too.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Ocicats-rescued-oci.jpg   Ocicats-classic-pattern-oci.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats