Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 02:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Regarding the phone call, they want the landlord to call them, tell them who they are and why they are calling, hang up, and then the SPCA will call them back to verify.

Yes, I agree that the SPCA had no doubt run into the worst of the worst people.

But I have adopted there before (11 yrs ago), that baby just died. Now trying to get another. Have all kinds of info for them, just can't get a phone call done. I am not a kid. I am 73 y/o woman. I go to the shelter and visit with the cat I want, give her treats, play with her, kiss her. They know how excited I get when I see her. I have also noticed when another person (older woman like me) who come in and are excited about an animal, the two young women behind the desk each give the other "that look". Like, oh brother. Those two women have one heck of a lot of power.

I have written on their FB page, sent an email to their CEO, have a typed letter to the CEO ready to go in the mail now.

Something has to give somewhere. With 330 cats, wouldn't you think somebody can make an intelligent decision?
When you say these women have a heck of a lot of power what does that mean exactly? Are you suggesting they should bend the rules for you? I'm sorry but I doubt if that is within their power to do so.

I understand your frustration but how many times has a shelter adopted out an animal to a renter only to have that animal returned because the landlord did not allow pets and the renter was trying to sneak the pet in only to have a neighbor snitch on them? This happens many more times than you would imagine according to my friend who volunteers at a shelter and says this is a big reason for returned animals there.

From the shelter's point of view, it might look as if your landlord might not be calling because pets aren't allowed. I'm sure that's not true in your case, if your landlord is anything like mine, he (mine is a she) is probably just not very good about doing those things but the shelter doesn't know that. Perhaps in your letter to the CEO you could suggest a compromise of showing them your lease that states it allows pets. That might satisfy them.

I just went through an adoption procedure to adopt a kitty from another state from a shelter that relays their cats from one nearby state to another. We did it all on the Internet by forms and a letter from my landlady. They vetted me like I was adopting a child. It was kind of frustrating but I understand why it is necessary. Even with all that investigation, the foster cat lady told me one of their adoptees, a purebred Siamese cat, was found wandering the streets half starved because the adopter let him go not wanting him any longer. The adopter had fulfilled all the criteria to adopt and looked good but obviously wasn't.

So it's understandable the shelters try to avoid these things happening at all costs even though sometimes even the strictest procedures just aren't enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 02:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When you say these women have a heck of a lot of power what does that mean exactly? Are you suggesting they should bend the rules for you? I'm sorry but I doubt if that is within their power to do so.

I understand your frustration but how many times has a shelter adopted out an animal to a renter only to have that animal returned because the landlord did not allow pets and the renter was trying to sneak the pet in only to have a neighbor snitch on them? This happens many more times than you would imagine according to my friend who volunteers at a shelter and says this is a big reason for returned animals there.

From the shelter's point of view, it might look as if your landlord might not be calling because pets aren't allowed. I'm sure that's not true in your case, if your landlord is anything like mine, he (mine is a she) is probably just not very good about doing those things but the shelter doesn't know that. Perhaps in your letter to the CEO you could suggest a compromise of showing them your lease that states it allows pets. That might satisfy them.

I just went through an adoption procedure to adopt a kitty from another state from a shelter that relays their cats from one nearby state to another. We did it all on the Internet by forms and a letter from my landlady. They vetted me like I was adopting a child. It was kind of frustrating but I understand why it is necessary. Even with all that investigation, the foster cat lady told me one of their adoptees, a purebred Siamese cat, was found wandering the streets half starved because the adopter let him go not wanting him any longer. The adopter had fulfilled all the criteria to adopt and looked good but obviously wasn't.

So it's understandable the shelters try to avoid these things happening at all costs even though sometimes even the strictest procedures just aren't enough.
I do comprehend the reason for rules. I am a law-abiding, respectful citizen. I am not asking for a special blessing.

I have a letter with the original signature from the regional manager on the company's letterhead. Yes, I am aware that can be faked, too.

I also just lost a cat that has lived in said apartment for the past 3-3/4 years after receiving permission from the same company. SPCA has my vet's name and number. He has been my cat's vet since I got her FROM THE SPCA 11 years ago. Mimsy had a bad heart and unfortunately had what the doctor (vet) said was a clot that went to the brain and he conferred with me and said she would not recover and best to put her down Tuesday. I have gone to the SPCA to visit new cat, played with her, took her treats, etc.

Yes, I'm just a horrible person. NOT.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,336,849 times
Thank you for going to a shelter to adopt a cat and sorry that it is taking so long. Sometimes the best intentions end up causing so much frustration. Like everyone else has said, the responsibility of the rescue is to make sure that the pets go into a safe and loving environment. Since you have a vet to verify that you are a responsible owner, this situation should have been over and done with.

As far as being in the Retirement thread, I think this is the perfect place for it. Many times people think that they are too old to have a pet, but pets keep us healthier in so many ways. I only foster and adopt senior pets and I think that there should be more encouragement from senior organizations for other senior citizens to do the same. Cats are perfect for those in apartments and those who don't feel that they could take on the responsibilities of a dog.

I teach a course at several assisted living facilities and wish that those residents could have some type of pet. Many miss the pets that they had to give up when they could no longer stay in their homes. Some of the residents are so negative and could really benefit from even a few cats or dogs that lived at the facilities instead of just the ones that come in through organizations.

I hope that in your next post that you have your new family member.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:51 PM

SXMGirl: You have written a beautiful post and I thank you for it. You are so compassionate. The idea of denying seniors the right to have their pets with them seems cruel to me. Here I am, very upset over a cat who doesn't live with me yet and I'm having a bit of a fit. I can't imagine having to move to a "safer" place but have to give up my beloved pet.

I question the rationalization that goes into these decisions. I am of the opinion there is little love in them.

Thank you again, SXMGirl. You are a wonderful person, IMO.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:44 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,092 times
Nygal2NC.. I'm a little confused.

Are you adopting your cat from your local state or city funded animal shelter or a privately funded rescue group/organization?

Old 06-28-2015, 06:56 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,269,198 times
I've seen episodes of "Locked Up" on cable where inmates on death row get cats!! This shelter is being ridiculous!

I mentioned having a friend call because when I first got my cat from the SPCA over 15 years ago, i was not "allowed" by my landlord to have a pet even though my neighbors below me did. I needed/wanted one so badly that I told SPCA I was allowed and was prepared to have a shill pretend to be my landlord.

To my surprise, they didn't call at all! And my landlord found out a year or so later but was fine with my cat since I was a very good tenant. We now are living "happily ever after" in a different apartment 15 years later. >^..^<

My SPCA was an urban one and very busy so maybe that makes a difference in the attitudes.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Nygal2NC.. I'm a little confused.

Are you adopting your cat from your local state or city funded animal shelter or a privately funded rescue group/organization?
I am trying to adopt a cat from the local SPCA in Syracuse, NY.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
I do comprehend the reason for rules. I am a law-abiding, respectful citizen. I am not asking for a special blessing.

I have a letter with the original signature from the regional manager on the company's letterhead. Yes, I am aware that can be faked, too.

I also just lost a cat that has lived in said apartment for the past 3-3/4 years after receiving permission from the same company. SPCA has my vet's name and number. He has been my cat's vet since I got her FROM THE SPCA 11 years ago. Mimsy had a bad heart and unfortunately had what the doctor (vet) said was a clot that went to the brain and he conferred with me and said she would not recover and best to put her down Tuesday. I have gone to the SPCA to visit new cat, played with her, took her treats, etc.

Yes, I'm just a horrible person. NOT.
I am not saying you are a horrible person. Please do not read something into my post that is not there. I know what it is like to lose a beloved pet since I have lost my share over the years.

Just before I made the moved cross country from Portland to Cleveland last June, my beloved cat of 15 years, Gracie, died suddenly of congestive heart failure the previous February. I had planned to take her with me to share in my new life but it wasn't meant to be.

All I am telling you is that even though the shelter is being tough, and I agree some of the rules seem very harsh, those are the rules and the best thing to do is just badger your landlord to death and do whatever it takes to get your new kitty.

I am trying to be of assistance here. I suggested inquiring as to whether or not showing the shelter your lease showing pets were allowed would be acceptable. A signed lease is a legal document. I didn't suggest you send a letter to the shelter from your regional manager but since you brought it up, you could look into getting one notarized to verify it's legitimacy. Ask the shelter if these would be acceptable. Keep badgering your landlord to make the phone call.

Use your energy in every way possible to get your kitty. I'm sorry but just going to the shelter and loving your cat although it is more than likely proving to the shelter workers your sincerity in how good a pet owner you are it unfortunately cannot allow them to bend the rules for you. I sincerely wish it could but it's just not within their power to do so.

I hope you get your cat, I had to go through months of red tape to get my new kitty because of the unusual circumstances that she was in another state but I devoted all my effort to getting her and not dwelling on what was fair and what was not but just tackling every hurdle along the way.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I've seen episodes of "Locked Up" on cable where inmates on death row get cats!! This shelter is being ridiculous!

I mentioned having a friend call because when I first got my cat from the SPCA over 15 years ago, i was not "allowed" by my landlord to have a pet even though my neighbors below me did. I needed/wanted one so badly that I told SPCA I was allowed and was prepared to have a shill pretend to be my landlord.

To my surprise, they didn't call at all! And my landlord found out a year or so later but was fine with my cat since I was a very good tenant. We now are living "happily ever after" in a different apartment 15 years later. >^..^<

My SPCA was an urban one and very busy so maybe that makes a difference in the attitudes.

The SPCA I am dealing with wants my landlord to call them, identify themselves and why they are calling, hang up the phone, and then the SPCA will call the number to verify they are the "real" thing.

There are 330 cats in this place. I hate to think of them all in tiny cages, no exercise, no "good" food. Yes they get cat food, but I feed my cat more expensive stuff and they have beautiful coats from it. I also combed my cat a lot. This little girl I want clearly likes me and I know we will get along fine.

When I go in to visit hopefully my kitty, the ones who are stuck in cages sure do not look happy to me.

Someone hear said something about it not being so bad in a cage. Well, I beg to differ. My cat had free run of my apartment and slept wherever she wanted.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:30 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
I believe you are correct. Please feel free to move it. Thank you.
If our pets don't belong here then neither do children, grandchildren, or any other relatives. I have a cat and a dog; my life revolves around them. My cat, a formal feral, is at least ten and seems lively enough. My dog is eleven and slowing down. She's the first dog I got as a puppy in years. I never planned on a puppy, but it was a case of her needing help immediately. Her emotions are just as sensitive as any human's.

My goal is to live as long as my pets. My cat could probably adjust to a new home, but my dog has problems as she was obviouy abused before I got her. She's never been the same since her pal and glorious pack leader died in April, 2014 at the age of 15.. I've thought of getting another dog, but she's become fearful of other dogs.

Older people have different concerns regarding pets than do younger people. At thirty we think we're immortal. At 70+ we're concerned with living long enough to take care of them.

Now, I'll put it on topic firmly. People who have pets live on average six to eight years older than those who don't. It's probably because we know both how to give love and how to receive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats