Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:24 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am not trying to nit pick but a signed letter on letter head is not a legal document. A signed lease and a signednotarized letter is. But I never said they were guaranteed they would work because that is not what the shelter is asking for.

You see maybe that is why you are having difficulties with the shelter. They are being real sticklers to their rules and you are trying to circumvent them by what you think should be right but what is not what they are demanding. I don't think being a PITA with the shelter is a good idea. I would be a PITA with your landlord to give the shelter what they demand.

Believe it or not, I agree with you and I think they should accept your proof but they are not and you are not going to change their minds.

You just have to face facts, they have the cat in their possession so it's their game. That's all there is to it.

I don't know what you are think I am inferring because I mean exactly what I am saying so I won't post or return to your thread any longer because I don't want to get you any more upset than you already are. I would suggest one more thing though. In addition to posting here that you also post on the pets forum because it is possible someone there will be able to give you more advice as to how to handle your situation since there are many people on that forum who may have had experience in this situation. This is just a suggestion that might help you get your cat.

Again, I wish you good luck.
I picked Wendy up today. I was greeted by the CEO who I had emailed and sent letter to. He said I never should have had to do anymore than show that signed letter on letterhead. He is going to correct that.

So apparently notarized would have been above and beyond but the fact was the people on the front desk were not informed. So now something will change there.

I see you have a true need to be "right." Good luck with that. I'm sure that has gotten you far.

And while we are facing FACTS, it might be time for you to face a few. You don't always have to accept what is being said as truth. Sometimes you have to FIGHT for what you want. I have done that before, not with SPCA, but with other things. If you don't make noise, they do not know you are there. I've never been a namby-pamby.

Think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 11:47 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Congratulations on your adoption of Wendy! I hope you have many happy years together - I know I would be bereft without my furbabies, all of which cames from shelters or rescues. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Now we need some pics!

Old 06-29-2015, 11:53 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Now we need some pics!
I agree!!

Congratulations and enjoy your new bundle of fur.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Hooray! You got her. Congratulations. Now please post a picture.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:30 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
You are a very compassionate person, to realize how much your cat and dog loved each other. So sweet to put their needs before your own.

I really enjoyed what you wrote about the cat you adopted afterward. Recognizing what had happened to him, how he needed time to be able to "believe" you were a safe person to let himself open up to you.

When I have been at the SPCA they have several cages with senior cats in the receptionist room where when there is a group of people with kids and the noise is loud, they look so miserable. I've read that cats do not like loud noise (such acute hearing) and I worry that their ears are hurting from all the racket. But nobody wants to adopt the 10 year old or 12 year old. I am guilty. I wanted a younger cat (not a kitten) because I had just put my little love down due to a bad heart and thought adopting an older cat I'd have to go through that again soon. As I write this I realize how selfish I am. I could give an older cat a nice place to spend their golden years.
I've always let the animal choose me rather than me choose them. My older cat was insistent. But so was the one I had to leave with my brother. That one just came up to me & meowed to be picked up. He is such a snuggler. Happy that my nephew loves him as much as I do. If I ever do move to a place where I can keep him, he'll be with me in a minute.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:56 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Congrats, OP! That's excellent. I'll keep your story in mind the next time I have to deal with idiots at a cat rescue.

I ended up not being able to adopt from a local rescue in the state where I formerly lived. I'm older, had cats all of my life, homeowner, employed. But they wanted a pre-adoption inspection and to drop in any time.

NO. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. That's my line in the sand. They could've looked up my house online if they wanted to verify that I owned it. They could've driven by. But I'm not letting in strangers to determine whether or not I'm "worthy." That's just garbage.

I ended up with an adult rescue from out-of-state, which they let me have after two emails and filling out a short form. I was able to go get her three days later. End of problem, for now. She moved with me to Iowa, and is sitting in the window chattering at the birds as I type this. Happy cat! (:

Old 06-29-2015, 01:09 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
I picked Wendy up today. I was greeted by the CEO who I had emailed and sent letter to. He said I never should have had to do anymore than show that signed letter on letterhead. He is going to correct that.

So apparently notarized would have been above and beyond but the fact was the people on the front desk were not informed. So now something will change there.

I see you have a true need to be "right." Good luck with that. I'm sure that has gotten you far.

And while we are facing FACTS, it might be time for you to face a few. You don't always have to accept what is being said as truth. Sometimes you have to FIGHT for what you want. I have done that before, not with SPCA, but with other things. If you don't make noise, they do not know you are there. I've never been a namby-pamby.

Think about that.
I hear stories like yours frequently and wonder what the H is wrong with these people. I hope that CEO lets those 2 have it. So many times people are put in a position of authority that have never had any authority over anything and they are just bad at it. These 2 ladies seem to enjoy making it tough on older ladies - time for a swift kick in the hiney.

Glad you finally have your new kitty - the hiding thing - I think they all do that initially - after that cage your apt. is a huge world.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:01 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
You all have just warmed my heart more than you could ever know. I wish I could give hugs to all of you. Thank you for your support during my ordeal. I am still crying for Mimsy but so glad I have Wendy here, not to replace, but to continue my love for cats.

I know one thing in life is that if there is something you want and red tape or people are blocking you, you have to persistently make a LOT OF NOISE!! I sent emails, letters, FB messages. To think the CEO actually greeted me and shook my hand and told me how happy he was to meet me.

Overall it has been a great day. Just waiting for her to show her face. But there will be plenty of time for that!!

Luv you all!!

Old 06-29-2015, 02:17 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Just waiting for her to show her face.
She'll be out, soon. Mine hid for several hours, and then when I was watching TV, she came out and lay on the back of the couch. After that, she no longer hid.

It's a big change for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats