Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:25 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
She'll be out, soon. Mine hid for several hours, and then when I was watching TV, she came out and lay on the back of the couch. After that, she no longer hid.

It's a big change for them.
I agree. Being in that cage at the SPCA 24/7 except for when someone wants to see her. I'm so glad I found her. She is a really beautiful cat (imo). Not the same color as Mimsy and I think that is a good thing.

Thank you for your comments.

Meemur: I have found if there is something I want badly and am being told no, I don't let it go. I make a lot of noise about it. I found out who the CEO is and emailed him and wrote him a letter giving him all the information. I also wrote on their FB page about how frustrating it was. I think we all have our "lines in the sand" so to speak and I think it's important to stand up for what you want, what you won't tolerate, you could very possibly get what you want.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by NYgal1542; 06-29-2015 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Added some text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:30 PM

733 posts, read 852,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I went to the shelter the other day to pick out a new cat. I filled out the application, supplied them with all the information they needed, and then went to look at 330 cats to see which one I wanted. Can only have one in my apartment according to the lease.

I picked out a sweetie. Held her and spent time with her. Knew I would have to do some waiting. Went back 2 more times to play with her and give her treats. Still cannot take her home. The reasons being that despite they have all the paperwork required from the landlord saying they gave their permission for me to adopt a cat, it is still NOT ENOUGH!! Now they require an actual conversation with the landlord, who at times is no where to be found. Good luck with the phone call.

I have had many cats before over the years. My last cat came from the SPCA and at that time I had to get permission from my landlord, which was given. (Different apartment, different landlord). When I moved in to my current apartment, they knew I had a cat and that was just fine. No problem.

So this little girl, one of 330 cats in cages, can't get out till all the hoops are jumped through.

Feeling angry, feeling frustrated.

In Arizona, the "Hermitage" cat shelter got so out of hand that the best vets stopped working with them. They just became (and maybe still are) totally off-the-wall with their hoops.

I see this in other "rescue groups" as well. It's especially jarring when it's a "pull group" that "pulls" animals from shelters. When they make it so difficult to place an animal, they get full and there is no room to pull any more animals in, so they are killed.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
In Arizona, the "Hermitage" cat shelter got so out of hand that the best vets stopped working with them. They just became (and maybe still are) totally off-the-wall with their hoops.

I see this in other "rescue groups" as well. It's especially jarring when it's a "pull group" that "pulls" animals from shelters. When they make it so difficult to place an animal, they get full and there is no room to pull any more animals in, so they are killed.
OMG, that is terrible. Refusing people who are sincere in their effort to adopt a pet and then having to kill them because there is too many of them is a sin, imo. In my older years I have become braver with confronting situations that are just wrong. I am not at all familiar with Arizona, but I believe I would start digging. Who do these people report to? No body? What part of govt might have some authority over them. Make a lot of noise. Make signs. Go on FB. Write letters. Send emails. Just don't let it disappear because people think they can't do anything about it because I am here to tell you something CAN be done. It just takes work.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:55 PM

733 posts, read 852,840 times
NYgal2NC, I believe SOME groups are SINCERE, but very mistaken. They run their little fiefdoms, take in donations, and...well, I'll just leave it at that. I don't think there's much to do with them, except be careful who gets your donations, and try to "wind down" the bad or ineffective groups. There are some local groups I donate to regularly, because they manage to walk that line between practically hoarding the rescues and giving them a chance. YES, you must be careful so your animals aren't gotten by evil persons, dog-baiting rings, etc. but you have to exercise some sense, too.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Mod note: This thread probably would have been more appropriate in the Pets forum. I've seen and participated in threads just like this on the Pets forum. But for now it can stay here--post a few pictures if you can and then we will close the thread as it is more about pets than pets in retirement. Some pictures in Chat would be okay too if this thread is closed too soon.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:41 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Nygal2NC, my cats hid in the basement for days when I moved into my new house and they knew us. Little by little they would venture up the stairs. I'm sure your cat is just overwhelmed right now. She'll come around when she's ready. Have any tuna fish? That's a great motivator.

to the poster who mentioned 'Pull rescues groups'.. they do that here at our local ASPCA. They take all the cute puppies and dogs and 'rescue' them. That leaves the aspca with older pitbulls which nobody wants. The trouble is their 'contract' is worded so much in their favor that people are afraid to deal with them. They have the right to take the animal back for whatever reason, and they don't have to tell you what the reason is.

Meemur, if you had adopted from that rescue group they might have taken the cat because you were moving out of state. I'm glad you didn't adopt from them.

I used to work for an animal rescue group, and after seeing some of the other members homes I think some of them use it as a handy excuse to hoard animals. One of the girls had 19 dogs. Cute and adoptable ones too, but that member told me that she'd had the dogs so long she was afraid they'd get upset if they were moved to another home. Another one had 24 dogs which she kept in the basement. What's the point of having companion animals if you're going to keep them in the basement like that? I know they wouldn't have approved an adoption if the person said they were going to keep the animal in the basement. And those were the ones who took the most advantage of the vet discounts. I don't believe they had any intention of adopting those animal's out.

I think most animal rescue groups have their hearts in the right place but they're just too strict with their adoption agreements and they're scaring away decent people who would provide good homes for their animals.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:14 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
You all have just warmed my heart more than you could ever know. I wish I could give hugs to all of you. Thank you for your support during my ordeal. I am still crying for Mimsy but so glad I have Wendy here, not to replace, but to continue my love for cats.

I know one thing in life is that if there is something you want and red tape or people are blocking you, you have to persistently make a LOT OF NOISE!! I sent emails, letters, FB messages. To think the CEO actually greeted me and shook my hand and told me how happy he was to meet me.

Overall it has been a great day. Just waiting for her to show her face. But there will be plenty of time for that!!

Luv you all!!
I am so glad to see that you now have the lovely Wendy at home where she belongs! Give her some time to get used to her new surroundings as this is a big change from the shelter. She is probably enjoying the quiet. It is definitely a great day and I applaud you for not giving up! Enjoy your life with Wendy.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:35 PM

in_newengland: She is a little scared tonight and not being too social. As soon as I can get a picture of her, I'll post it and yes, definitely in Chat.

Sorry for putting this in the wrong spot.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:46 PM

in_newengland: She is venturing out but doesn't stay in one place long enough to get a pic. I'm hoping by tomorrow she has everything figured out. I'm just glad she knows what the box is for!! LOL

Old 06-29-2015, 11:12 PM

720 posts, read 765,589 times
Good for you. Welcome to your forever home Wendy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats