Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times

Advertisements

OP, I want to give you a huge thumbs up for caring about this cat! It has to be painful to have all those matts tugging against your skin. She'll feel so much better when they are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Hope all goes well at the vet, please give us an update when she gets back.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:40 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Update on our vet trip. He charmed all of the vet techs by being very sweet , at least while in the carrier.

Looks kind or funny now that he is done, big bare spots on his sides. The vet, of course, had recommendations (a bath and a dental check up) but I had to pass. Let his furever people take are of that for him.

He did recognize me when he came out from the back room at the vets, he loudly called my name and vocally told me all about his experience but settled right down when released from the carrier.

All in all, not a bad trip.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:22 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
Glad it came out OK. Hopefully his new owners will follow up on the dental and bath.

Thank you for helping him.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:41 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Try not to do it yourself - my husband would do that and occasionally cut the cat's skin, which is awful. Best bet is a groomer or see if your vet can do it.

We have had two long-haired cats in our householder for years, and they do a surprisingly good job at getting them out themselves - it does take a while though. But starting "fresh" with a lion's cut will allow you to begin grooming the cat regularly without having to work out the dreads.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:57 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Update on our vet trip. He charmed all of the vet techs by being very sweet , at least while in the carrier.

Looks kind or funny now that he is done, big bare spots on his sides. The vet, of course, had recommendations (a bath and a dental check up) but I had to pass. Let his furever people take are of that for him.

He did recognize me when he came out from the back room at the vets, he loudly called my name and vocally told me all about his experience but settled right down when released from the carrier.

My sweet old senior cat Stormy (RB Jan this year) had a luxurious, long black coat and never had much trouble with mats. What I didn't realize was that was because my wife spent so much time brushing him when I wasn't around. Shortly after she passed away Stormy became terribly matted because I hadn't been brushing him (adding to the long list of new things I had to start doing that she had always done). Luckily I had a local dog groomer available that was very good with cats (and Stormy was a pretty laid-back guy), so I had her give him the infamous 'Lion Cut'. I know he felt better afterwards, but I think the whole affair was a blow to his dignity. He looked cute in a ridiculous sort of way, but I did my best not to laugh in his presence. It took a few months, but his coat grew back out as good as new. He got groomed religiously after that.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:48 PM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post

Why did the vet suggest a dental check-up?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:18 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I had her give him the infamous 'Lion Cut'. I know he felt better afterwards, but I think the whole affair was a blow to his dignity. He looked cute in a ridiculous sort of way, but I did my best not to laugh in his presence. .
My elderly long-haired cat got a Lion haircut for summer - I call him "chemo kitty" when he has one. Poor guy- he looks kinda ugly, but it means I can shampoo him during the summer much easier, and save money on trips to the groomer. Now that he is so old (19yo), his fur gets greasy really fast. He needs a shampoo at least once every three weeks.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Why did the vet suggest a dental check-up?
On whatever scale that they use (apparently an arbitrary of 1-4) the vet said hw registered between .5 and 1.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:01 AM

I want to thank you all for the suggestions and good wishes for the cat during his days of matting.

It is very much appreciated.

And it is over! WHOOPEE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats