Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 12:30 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
They RV and MH industries are getting away from Formaldehyde. I am deathly allergic if Formaldehyde and chlorine. I will have something like an asthma attack. Horrible and frightening. I can't stay more than a few minutes in some Home Depots and Lowe's stores. This RV is 15 yrs old and I have not reacted even when it's closed up with the A/C on. Or hot and humid with the windows open. I cannot swim in pools with chlorine, only salt water pools. We're thinking it may be something else like some vibration or sound we cannot hear. But the other 3 cats are not bothered.

Wow! If you reacted like that I would have had an asthma-like attack, became dizzy and disoriented and I would be unable to open my burning running eyes.

Thanks.. poor kitty, I hope we find a solution.
Yes, I understand completely. You happen to be one of those unfortunate folks who are severely allergic to a lot of common building materials. The fact that your rv is relatively newer, & you can tolerate it, makes me doubt that air quality is Callie's problem.

There's not a lot of difference (noise wise) between a Class C & Class A motorhome. Both have engine noise to some degree. Having said that, a noise or vibration that only she can sense might be a factor. Would it be possible to take her for a ride in a different motorhome as a test? If so & she doesn't freak out as bad, that might tell you if it's your rv or something else.

It didn't last long after I aired out the trailer. Spent the last 19 years doing rv repair & rebuild and those occurrences didn't happen often, and were mostly older models from the 80's & 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
catdad7x beat me to it ... my thought is that there is a new sound that is sending Callie into a tizzy. Friends had a dog that was obsessed about napping in the back seats of any parked cars - if there was an open window, in he'd jump. However, once an engine was turned on he'd start to howl and fret and not stop. I had the "pleasure" of riding with him on a 3-hour journey, and he never calmed down the entire time UNTIL at the end of the trip when the engine was shut off. He'd lay down and go to sleep.

I was also going to suggest taking Callie for rides in other vehicles and see what her reactions might be.

What about spending a large amount of time with her and the others in the new motorhome without the engine running? I'm thinking something like a stay-cation right in your driveway where you could eat, sleep, read, what-have-you. However, if it is a sound that's bothering her, it may not be coming from the engine or the open road, but from some appliance or other electrical item.

Are there any favorite items in your house that Callie adores that you could put in the motorhome for her comfort and sense of security? A litterbox, scatter rug, bedspread?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Yes, I understand completely. You happen to be one of those unfortunate folks who are severely allergic to a lot of common building materials. The fact that your rv is relatively newer, & you can tolerate it, makes me doubt that air quality is Callie's problem.

There's not a lot of difference (noise wise) between a Class C & Class A motorhome. Both have engine noise to some degree. Having said that, a noise or vibration that only she can sense might be a factor. Would it be possible to take her for a ride in a different motorhome as a test? If so & she doesn't freak out as bad, that might tell you if it's your rv or something else.
She was much better in our Class-C. No, we don't know anyone else with a motorhome to see.

Quote:
It didn't last long after I aired out the trailer. Spent the last 19 years doing rv repair & rebuild and those occurrences didn't happen often, and were mostly older models from the 80's & 90's.
I'm sure you heard about all those cheap FEMA MH/RVs they were putting people in after Katrina. The formaldehyde was so bad even people not allergic to it were made sick. Headaches, burning eyes and sore throats and all kinds of ills. They couldn't stay in them. These MH/RVs were auctioned off by the Gov and resold on places like Craigslist for $3000 to $5000. Heaven help those people who unknowingly bought one.

The Class-A we have now was built in 1999 and I can't detect any formaldehyde.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
catdad7x beat me to it ... my thought is that there is a new sound that is sending Callie into a tizzy. Friends had a dog that was obsessed about napping in the back seats of any parked cars - if there was an open window, in he'd jump. However, once an engine was turned on he'd start to howl and fret and not stop. I had the "pleasure" of riding with him on a 3-hour journey, and he never calmed down the entire time UNTIL at the end of the trip when the engine was shut off. He'd lay down and go to sleep.

I was also going to suggest taking Callie for rides in other vehicles and see what her reactions might be.
She doesn't do well in our minivan either. She cries all the way to the vet and back. I hold the carrier on my lap and try to comfort her but it doesn't seem to help much.

Quote:
What about spending a large amount of time with her and the others in the new motorhome without the engine running? I'm thinking something like a stay-cation right in your driveway where you could eat, sleep, read, what-have-you. However, if it is a sound that's bothering her, it may not be coming from the engine or the open road, but from some appliance or other electrical item.
Exactly. The converter turns on when the RV is plugged into power. It has a slight hum. Right now I don't want to do anything to stress her. She's still on the medication and sees the vet in a few days. I did find she started urinating on the litter mat under the litter tote in the back bathroom. She had to have just started urinating there as I checked it every day. The mat stuck out about 18" around the tote and she used one section to pee on. I tossed the mat out the door for now. I still have all the throw rugs taken up and stored. I am afraid she will start peeing on the wall-to-wall in the other rooms.

Quote:
Are there any favorite items in your house that Callie adores that you could put in the motorhome for her comfort and sense of security? A litterbox, scatter rug, bedspread?
Actually - no. She abandoned her favorite mouse on an elastic cord a long time ago. She will not play anymore and has no favorite anything.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
Before going on your next trip why not try parking the motor home in the driveway? You and Callie can sleep in there for a few nights. Maybe she will calm down if it is just parked and nothing else is going on.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:56 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
She was much better in our Class-C. No, we don't know anyone else with a motorhome to see.

I'm sure you heard about all those cheap FEMA MH/RVs they were putting people in after Katrina. The formaldehyde was so bad even people not allergic to it were made sick. Headaches, burning eyes and sore throats and all kinds of ills. They couldn't stay in them. These MH/RVs were auctioned off by the Gov and resold on places like Craigslist for $3000 to $5000. Heaven help those people who unknowingly bought one.

The Class-A we have now was built in 1999 and I can't detect any formaldehyde.
Probably no way for you to know, but I wonder if the rv's previous owners had any pets that spent time in it. Rv's can hold smells for a long time, even after being thoroughly cleaned, and perhaps Callie is picking up something that you can't. I feel for your dilemma, and hope you can find the cause of her stress. It's the old problem of them not being able to tell you what's wrong that's frustrating.

Yeah, I remember that. I can guarantee you the big manufacturers that contracted those units bought the cheapest materials they could find to maximize their profits. Most reputable dealers wouldn't have touched them with a 10 foot pole.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:02 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
I really don't know but before spending money on something that doesn't work I'd like to hear from people who tried it.
I have a friend that used it on her Husky, and said that it worked. They don't make them for cats, but they come in different sizes for dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats