Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Haha! Yeah, not too worried about that. I spent 15 years clipping/grinding my dogs' nails and though there were a few times I got too carried away, nobody ever bled to death. To be honest, I'm not very keen on grinding anymore. See, I was once grinding the nails on one of my dogs and managed to get some of the nail dust in my eye. I don't know how, as I was wearing goggles, but I did. I had a massive allergic reaction and (not to be graphic) my eyeball basically turned into a giant water blister. It was crazy and an experience I do not wish to repeat. I do prefer the finish that grinding gives, but for kitty I'm going to stick with clipping. His nails are all white/transparent so it's easy to see the quick.

So far he's been very good about scratching, so I'm honestly not too worried. He hasn't messed with the furniture at all and focuses mostly on a scrap of utility carpet we have in the basement. As far as I'm concerned, he can go nuts with that!
Awesome!

To be honest myself, I don;t even bother with the nails with two of our cats. They seem to do just fine on the scratch post... so, maintenance free! Erm... yea right!

Let's face the facts; we do not own pets, they own us!

BTW, being a retired contractor, I actually use my commercial multi-speed Dremel tool (very quiet) with a soft stone

Works like a charm, and no dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 04:14 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
It's perfectly fine and advisable to trim his little claws. Start now so he gets used to it. Just snip the tips once a week, as he gets older you may snip a bit more, I'm sure you will learn to avoid the nail quick.

Do get him his own scratching furniture though. Cats need to scratch and they will. He needs things that are just his. Tall sturdy posts, that he can stretch his full length against (when an adult) Something to climb and jump on. A flat on the floor one, and something curved. A variety of surfaces.

The best way to ensure good health and behavior is to feed a species appropriate diet. Avoid dry food and free feeding. Feed him a variety of good quality canned foods on a schedule. This will keep him properly hydrated and getting the correct nutrition. Diet affects behavior way more than people realize.

Here's a good website to start with on feline nutrition Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Old 08-13-2015, 05:56 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
I read an article a few years back that said clipping a cat's nails is useless. All it makes the do is want to sharpen them back up to a point. Getting a scratch post is best bet.
In the article, it mentioned that the cat is trying to remove the sheath-an underlying layer that is just a bit smaller than the nail itself-when they scratch. We have quit cutting their nails and it works out just fine with only having the scratch posts.
At first we had to 'tell' them not to poke the leather furniture, but after they learned that they were just fine.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:00 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
When cats scratch they aren't "sharpening" their claws. They are marking territory (leaving scent), expressing themselves, stretching and exercising many crucial muscles and joints, relieving stress, and helping the old dead sheathes to come off.

I trim nails about once every two months. Their claws do get long and sharp in between trimmings. I often do find shed nail sheathes also, especially around the many scratchers they own.

Trimming the claws protects the cats when they play with each other, prevents them from getting nails caught on something causing pain, or even having a nail torn out, keeps them comfortable when they walk, and keeps my skin whole, when they knead on me.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:07 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
When cats scratch they aren't "sharpening" their claws. They are marking territory (leaving scent), expressing themselves, stretching and exercising many crucial muscles and joints, relieving stress, and helping the old dead sheathes to come off.

I trim nails about once every two months. Their claws do get long and sharp in between trimmings. I often do find shed nail sheathes also, especially around the many scratchers they own.

Trimming the claws protects the cats when they play with each other, prevents them from getting nails caught on something causing pain, or even having a nail torn out, keeps them comfortable when they walk, and keeps my skin whole, when they knead on me.
I completely agree with you. I just sand the tips of the nails round, and boy what a difference on my arms when they get fiesty... you know... those times the look in their eyes glaze over when they are about to teach your arms and legs a lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I read an article a few years back that said clipping a cat's nails is useless. All it makes the do is want to sharpen them back up to a point.
I'm not sure it's useless, but I do know that clipping can sometimes leave the claws even sharper. Much the same as when we clip our nails, and then follow with a file to remove burrs and cracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats