Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:46 AM

324 posts, read 836,768 times

Advertisements

A few days ago we adopted a kitten from our local shelter. He's about 3-4 months old and such a sweetheart. I'm really wondering about his personality and whether it will change or not. Right now he is sooo mellow and happy. He will play some and likes to bat at the kitten lure thingie, but mostly he likes to sleep and snuggle. He loves to be held and to sit with you and purrs constantly. So far he hasn't had any kitten crazies, has never tried to scratch or bite, and really just seems so calm for a kitten. I'm wondering if we hit the kitty lottery, or if I can expect demon cat to emerge at any time. I haven't owned a cat in almost 20 years so I've forgotten how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:53 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
It has been my personal experience with two kittens born in my house.........they are born with their personalities.

Bennie... at just mere hours old didn't want to stay in the bed......and would attempt to crawl out...........while Smudge wouldn't leave his Momma kitty's side.

Bennie was the first to do everything.......with Smudge carefully pondering his options.

Today Bennie is the risk-taker......Smudge - the wise old owl......er.. cat.

Neither boys are particularly snuggly with me. Bennie will tolerate me holding him as along as I walk around the house holding him. Smudge would rather snuggle with his big brother, Charcoal.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM

Thank you for the response. It's good to hear your experience with your kittens. I'm so hopeful our little guy keeps his loving mellow attitude. We've only had him for four days, so it's really hard to know at this point. We visited the shelter three times and spent a good hour each time with the two groups of kittens. This little guy passed what I dubbed "the snuggle test" each time, so we ended up choosing him. It would have been my preference to adopt one of the older cats, but the adoption counselor advised against it because she thought a kitten would do better with my two young children. So far it's been the best of both worlds--he likes to play with the kids for a bit, but is happy to conk out on the rug (or better yet my lap) for hours too!

Old 08-11-2015, 03:28 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
It could be that the kitten has a laid-back type personality, which could change over time. But I wouldn't read too much into his behavior yet. He's in a completely new environment & his world has been turned upside down, and it's normal for a cat to hang back a bit & not be quite so outgoing until he's more accustomed to his new digs. You haven't described anything out of the ordinary IMO. He may truly be a people cat & snuggle bunny (), but may also become more active/playful once he's more sure of his surroundings.
Congrats on your new furkid. I'm sure things will work out just fine.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:39 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
I've always found that most male cats seem to be more of the snuggling type. I don't know if it's just the cats we've met and made family members, or it's just true to cat kind.
Our current male is so snuggly, he won't hardly leave DW's lap, follows her everywhere, and is otherwise attached to her hip. A real little loverboy.
And like other Poster said, was like this from day he was born. He was from a feral litter born on our property, and even as a young kitten he followed her throughout the yard, where the other kittens were sweet, but not like him.
She eventually brought him into the house, to be introduced as new family member. Our female didn't like it too much, but has since adapted. She is not near as friendly, but also had a bad beginning, so maybe that's it with her.
Good luck with your newest family member

Old 08-11-2015, 07:42 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. I know we are going to love him no matter what--that's already a given--but I do hope he stays cuddly. Our adoption counselor also seemed to think male cats were more the snuggly type, and recommended a male kitten to us. It was kind of funny really, we walked in wanting an adult female and walked out with a male kitten!

He seems to already have settled in quite well. We kept him in our partially finished basement for the first night so he could adjust, but since then he's had the run of the house and seems quite confident with himself. Even when the kids get noisy and crazy, he pretty much just sits and watches it all happen. Most often he hangs out on the kitchen rug in a sunbeam (if he's not in someone's lap).

I have to admit, historically I have not been a cat person. In fact, I have made some rather derogatory comments about cats. I have always had dogs. We had planned on a puppy, but with two young kids, realized it was just too much to take on and got a cat instead. Maybe that's where the disconnect comes in for me. I'm shocked that the cat isn't chewing things to bits and actually sleeps much of the day. Also, cats have a bit of an aloof stereotype, so I'm pleased he seems to enjoy humane interaction!

Whatever the case, I could not love him more and now I totally understand how you become a "crazy cat person."

Old 08-11-2015, 08:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
A few days ago we adopted a kitten from our local shelter. He's about 3-4 months old and such a sweetheart. I'm really wondering about his personality and whether it will change or not. Right now he is sooo mellow and happy. He will play some and likes to bat at the kitten lure thingie, but mostly he likes to sleep and snuggle. He loves to be held and to sit with you and purrs constantly. So far he hasn't had any kitten crazies, has never tried to scratch or bite, and really just seems so calm for a kitten. I'm wondering if we hit the kitty lottery, or if I can expect demon cat to emerge at any time. I haven't owned a cat in almost 20 years so I've forgotten how it goes.
The underlying disposition and also the way you raise the kitten will insure a well adjusted adult. I'd say you're doing fine. Just don't try to clip the nails, and get a good post (or two) for him to claw. Make sure to get him fixed (if he isn't already) before his hormones kick in, and you and he will be fine.

Congratualtions on hitting the lottery!

BTW, my home is a magnet for females (have no clue why) and they've been quite cuddly themselves.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The underlying disposition and also the way you raise the kitten will insure a well adjusted adult. I'd say you're doing fine. Just don't try to clip the nails, and get a good post (or two) for him to claw. Make sure to get him fixed (if he isn't already) before his hormones kick in, and you and he will be fine.
Why don't clip his nails? I know not to declaw, but the adoption center said to start clipping early on so he gets used to it. I clipped them before letting him have run of the house. He wasn't thrilled about it, but other than trying to squirm away a couple of times, didn't seem to mind much either. He's already neutered, chipped, and has all his shots so we are good to go there.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:53 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
Why don't clip his nails? I know not to declaw, but the adoption center said to start clipping early on so he gets used to it. I clipped them before letting him have run of the house. He wasn't thrilled about it, but other than trying to squirm away a couple of times, didn't seem to mind much either. He's already neutered, chipped, and has all his shots so we are good to go there.
That's the main issue when clipping their nails. Most always it's the cat that pushes their claw in right when you clip.

The problem is that clipping nails you run the risk of hitting the veins (quick) which run into the claws. The solution is to get a claw sander which is much safer than clipping.

The Andis is probably the best on the market, at a reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/Andis-Grinder-...t+Nail+Grinder

complete pedi kit
http://www.amazon.com/Andis-EasyClip...t+Nail+Grinder

Once you start using this the kitten will adapt very quickly to routine nail pedicures, and this particular one is very quiet unlike most on the market. Avoid the cheaper pedipet type grinders, as they are more trouble than good.

Hope this helps
Cheers

P.S. It's a wives tale that a cat can bleed to death if the quick is cut, however, if you choose to continue clipping, make sure you have styptic powder on hand just in case.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-12-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
P.S. It's a wives tale that a cat can bleed to death if the quick is cut, however, if you choose to continue clipping, make sure you have styptic powder on hand just in case.
Haha! Yeah, not too worried about that. I spent 15 years clipping/grinding my dogs' nails and though there were a few times I got too carried away, nobody ever bled to death. To be honest, I'm not very keen on grinding anymore. See, I was once grinding the nails on one of my dogs and managed to get some of the nail dust in my eye. I don't know how, as I was wearing goggles, but I did. I had a massive allergic reaction and (not to be graphic) my eyeball basically turned into a giant water blister. It was crazy and an experience I do not wish to repeat. I do prefer the finish that grinding gives, but for kitty I'm going to stick with clipping. His nails are all white/transparent so it's easy to see the quick.

So far he's been very good about scratching, so I'm honestly not too worried. He hasn't messed with the furniture at all and focuses mostly on a scrap of utility carpet we have in the basement. As far as I'm concerned, he can go nuts with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats