Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 07:13 PM

7,057 posts, read 12,565,197 times

Advertisements

I'm doing kitty care at s neighbor's for her three cats. Her elderly cat was dying, has cancer...so I'm doing hospice care.

This morning the ill cat was not doing well, labored breathing, drank a bit of water, didn't want me to pester her...just wanted to be left alone.

During this evening's visit, the cat was not in her usual spot, checked her other two places..not to be found. Did a pretty thorough search, under furniture, behind furniture, in closets, on shelves...nope couldn't find her. Their house is large with lots of nooks and crannies.

Heard about animals seeking solitude in which to transition and I suspect this is what's happened. Tomorrow I'll try again...very upset about this..yet I respect her final wishes to meet death on her own terms....

Any thoughts or ideas?

She couldn't have gotten outside...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 07:19 PM

4,929 posts, read 10,598,074 times
She most likely has sought a spot in which to sequester herself. If you don't think that there would be anything to do for her if you found her, I would leave her be and look again tomorrow (although you will have to find her at some point; if she does die, you can't leave a dead body to rot).

If you think that taking her to the vet is warranted, then I would try to find her.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:21 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,513,899 times
We had a beloved cat that did that too. He wanted to be alone, even though we were the only family he'd ever known, and he was a very friendly cat. We found him on the floor (not in his bed) in a corner under the drapes. We had also noticed he was going to die soon, you can see that look in their eyes.
I hope you find the cat.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:17 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,266,516 times
Having to watch 2 of my recent fosters die in my arms, please do not hesitate to take that cat in to the vet for euthanasia. Death doesn't always come quick and easy. The first signs are lethargy, hiding and non-responsive. They have no appetite and won't move much. Once they are 'gone', they would defecate on themselves, deep breathes that cries, pupils dilate, etc. It's not a romantic death if it's not quick. I was able to put the first kitten to sleep before she suffered any further. The second one was after hours where he was picked up by the Warden. I hope he was euthanized on the way. They both passed from Fading Kitten Syndrome.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:47 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,889,217 times
I would let the owner know and seek their opinion and advice before doing anything further - that is if you can reach them.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:51 PM

7,057 posts, read 12,565,197 times
Update..we found the cat this morning @ 9 AM..she was under the guest bedroom bed which had a dust ruffle.

When we walked into the room kitty gave a little meow and I knelt down and told her it was okay to go...all was good,.. I stroked her a few times. Could tell from her breathing..shallow and rapid, that she was close. Her eyes was distant and hollow. I put her water dish under there with her. Just in case she got thirsty.

Brought her litter pan and put it close st hand just in case. But as she hadn't eaten in four days, didn't think she'd need it.

Her owners came home at 5 PM and found her where I let them know where she was likely to be....they called me--she had passed on.

A very sweet Snowshoe Siamese has gone to the next plane.

So hard losing a loving pet companion, isn't it? I'd only known her for several months, but she was a dear, dear kitty.

Her owners have closure and she left them while at home in a peaceful setting.

A strange thing..for the last week, whenever I stepped foot outside, there were/are butterflies. Of many varieties and colors. Was it a message from <wherever> that change was afoot?

I don't know, but it's been very comforting..

Old 08-23-2015, 09:16 PM

4,929 posts, read 10,598,074 times
I am glad that the story had a somewhat happy outcome. It seems as if she went peacefully, knowing that she was loved.

Butterflies supposedly represent the soul, a life passing on, transformation, metamorphosis and rebirth [after death]. I don't think that it was a coincidence that you saw them as she was passing.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:53 PM

436 posts, read 572,509 times
I hope the beloved cat passed peacefully. It makes me sad when people lose their beloved fur babies.

I have had many cats, Tabbies, Calicos, Russian Blues, Black Cats, Himalyan, Blue Seal Siamese, Tortie and Snowshoe Siamese. I have two Snowshoes right now. They are the most loving sweet cats, I love them. Our rescue organization doesn't keep them long. They get adopted quickly. Mine will retrieve things, drink water from a fountain, sit on their haunches. Being Snowshoes they don't yowl like a typical Siamese.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:04 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,261,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
A strange thing..for the last week, whenever I stepped foot outside, there were/are butterflies. Of many varieties and colors. Was it a message from <wherever> that change was afoot?

I don't know, but it's been very comforting..
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I am glad that the story had a somewhat happy outcome. It seems as if she went peacefully, knowing that she was loved.

Butterflies supposedly represent the soul, a life passing on, transformation, metamorphosis and rebirth [after death]. I don't think that it was a coincidence that you saw them as she was passing.
"Mom I send you images of cats and also movement in the garden. I try and move things I also send you heart shaped images and sometimes I brush up against you and get you to feel me. I have tried to breathe on you so that you see my breathe is even now and my being is steady. the clouds are fun to shift and often I try to get them to smile at my mom. the garden I wanted to send a hummingbird on a big flower so mom look for that and butterflies too.

Mom, I want you to know that I love you more than the universe itself and that everything happened the way it should and at night time or anytime throughout the day when you talk to me I will hear you and I will talk back. we still have that close relationship and it will only get stronger."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have pictures of the hearts, where I found them, in Sabers' garden, the hearts are now next to his ashes.

When I learn how to get pictures off the camera to my computer, and then to CD, I'll post them.~~~~~~~

VISITATIONS and SIGNS, from deceased felines ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

For months after Saber died, I had a white butterfly that would follow me, when I was outside, and also when I would drive my car.

As I would approach my car in my driveway, a white butterfly would flit around my car and then follow/lead my car for 2 or 3 blocks before disappearing.

Last edited by leanansidhex; 08-26-2015 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-26-2015, 08:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,207,402 times
They do crawl away and disappear...shame your neighbor wasn't responsible and humane > euthanize BEFORE you take off for vacation.

As it is, introducing a virtual stranger to watch her while she dies - you wouldn't do that to a human let alone an animal.

Sorry but having a pet suffer is a topic I feel very strongly about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats