Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,267,348 times

Advertisements

Fishermen

And this story has a happy ending too. The two little kittens' bravery paid off and they found a home with a family with two little girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:26 AM

7,215 posts, read 4,901,808 times
Pretty adorable. Smart kitties!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,583,671 times
Very nice story! Brave little kittens to be sure.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,955,076 times
Latest news is that "River" and "Warrior" have been to the vet for check-ups, first kitten shots, meds for minor tummy upsets, and scheduled for neutering when old enough.

Typically, orangies are great cats, smart, friendly, sociable and gentle. and from the looks of this little pair, River and Warrior are no exceptions. So glad their story has a happy ending, and I hope whoever abandoned them is found and brought to justice.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,201,647 times
So, what I don't get is this...

Where they in the river swimming for an unknown length of time and then vectored toward the people to be rescued when they saw the boat? Why wouldn't they have swam to the banks in the first place?

If instead, they came from that landmass that appears to have been directly behind them, I guess they just wanted human company and jumped in to swim to the people?

Either way, cute story.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:37 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,580,956 times
We all know cats don't like water, but I have a feeling someone dumped them there on land and when the kittens heard humans, they decided to swim for it. They were probably half starved to death. It's a good thing those two guys just happened to be there or who knows if those poor kittens would have survived. Some people are just idiots to do that to helpless animals.

It sounds like they are being well taken care of now. Happy endings! yay!

Old 09-02-2015, 07:31 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,955,076 times
I have read that the kittens were on an island in the middle of the river, which explains their swimming to their rescuers.

Obviously, the kittens were socialized, which makes their abandonment all the more puzzling. Cute, friendly little guys like these should have found homes with only a little effort on the part of whoever ditched them. They also appeared to be around eight to ten weeks old, not newborns at all. So someone had kept them for a good while and had not previously been harsh with them, or they would have been fearful and hidden from people.

I also wonder about mama cat and any possible littermates.

Unless - they belonged to someone with a bad-news boyfriend or other significant other, who was jealous and abusive. Trying to think of other feasible scenarios.

So while it's a happy ending - or beginning - for this little pair, there are still lots of unanswered questions. The kittens' rescuers said they were going to return to the area and check out the island for any other cats or kittens who might have been left there, I was glad to learn.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,577,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Where they in the river swimming for an unknown length of time and then vectored toward the people to be rescued when they saw the boat? Why wouldn't they have swam to the banks in the first place?

If instead, they came from that landmass that appears to have been directly behind them, I guess they just wanted human company and jumped in to swim to the people?

Either way, cute story.
When some one can figure out the way cats think they will win the Nobel prize.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,440,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Either way, cute story.
I think the report said the fishermen heard a splash and then saw the kittens swimming towards them, so they were already (trapped) on the land mass & heard/saw the people and swam to them for help. The kitties had to be pretty desperate to take the plunge like they did. Just glad everything turned out well for them.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:36 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,201,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I think the report said the fishermen heard a splash and then saw the kittens swimming towards them, so they were already (trapped) on the land mass & heard/saw the people and swam to them for help. The kitties had to be pretty desperate to take the plunge like they did. Just glad everything turned out well for them.
Thanks, I guess I missed that part.

Not to take from this story, or hijack the thread, but...

...It does remind me of this other story of a fox that needed help and chose to trust a human...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj6quKEn3dw

and I found these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlwxLtFQcrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpvB5qouSMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcXU7G6zhjU

These stories are interesting in a couple of ways... It tells me that animals really do understand the skills and abilities of people (good and bad). Also, if animals recognize that people can rescue or help them and they can put aside their fear or distrust, then maybe there is hope for people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats