Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:49 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

One of my cats is really sick. About two weeks ago, she started licking the cinderblock wall in my basement. She started to act more and more lethargic, so we finally decided to take her to the vet. At the vet, she had a 103 degree fever, was anemic, and has low white and red blood cell count. The vet thinks she has some sort of autoimmune disorder/disease, but doesn't know the cause.

We have taken her to the vet four times over the past week and a half to get blood tests to check the cell count and for health rechecks. We have seen very little to any improvement.

She sits around all day not doing anything. She won't eat or drink, so we are forced to feed her with a syringe through the mouth. She is on daily steroids and antibiotics. She has another vet appointment tomorrow morning to get another blood check.

My wife and I discussed that if there is no improvement in the blood work, we are just going to keep her at home, finish up her meds and let her be. The constant vet trips cannot continue #1 because of the cat's stress and mental health, #2 because they really don't seem to be helping (our vet is awesome though!) and, #3 because it's very expensive (each trip is at least $120).

We have discussed having her put to sleep if things don't clear up, but are hesitant to do so because she is not in any pain. However, she does not have good quality of life right now and will not even eat or drink on her own. She's only 6.5yr old.

Any advice on how you would handle this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 03:57 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Petcare is expensive, innit?

Having recently spent a ridiculous amount on our 12-year old cat after she got deathly ill, I'm in no position to judge or advise someone else as to their pet's worth. I'll admit that had I been the sole decisionmaker I'd have had her put down.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Petcare is expensive, innit?

Having recently spent a ridiculous amount on our 12-year old cat after she got deathly ill, I'm in no position to judge or advise someone else as to their pet's worth. I'll admit that had I been the sole decisionmaker I'd have had her put down.
It's not really the money. We do have the money, it's just that we aren't seeing improvement, so I feel like the money is a waste.

When someone gets treatment for an illness at a hospital, there is usually sign of improvement. We aren't seeing any improvement here, so I feel like it's harmful to her mentally to keep taking her back to the vet.

The vet wants to do more tests, but even the vet is pretty sure that the tests will come up negative based on her symptoms.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:33 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It's not really the money. We do have the money, it's just that we aren't seeing improvement, so I feel like the money is a waste.

When someone gets treatment for an illness at a hospital, there is usually sign of improvement. We aren't seeing any improvement here, so I feel like it's harmful to her mentally to keep taking her back to the vet.

The vet wants to do more tests, but even the vet is pretty sure that the tests will come up negative based on her symptoms.
Well, you did initially list 'expense' as #3.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:18 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Looking at your very first sentence, lepoisson, I'm curious what the cinderblock wall's attraction was? Did your cat start licking it after she was showing illness or before? What's on that cement, any paint? Or is it raw? Any chance of some kind of poisoning?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Looking at your very first sentence, lepoisson, I'm curious what the cinderblock wall's attraction was? Did your cat start licking it after she was showing illness or before? What's on that cement, any paint? Or is it raw? Any chance of some kind of poisoning?
We asked the vet about it. The cinderblocks are only in our laundry room and are not painted, so there shouldn't be anything poisonous. The vet said that animals will commonly lick stone or eat dirt when they are anemic. Apparently humans eat dirt or clay when they are suffering from anemia.

The cat has been near the cinderblock wall for years and never licked them, so we can only assume that the illness started, then the block licking, then her energy started declining.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,908 times
I would go for a second opinion. Bring all the records with you for the 2nd vet to review. If the 2nd vet couldn't help her, then put her down. If it was my cat, that's what I would. I had a less dire situation with him where I took him to 6 different vets in the past 5 years to find out the cause of his drastic weight loss - Renal Failure. He had anemia too but no infection, and eats and drinks. To me, if I know my only other option is euthanasia, I want to make sure I did the best I could for him.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:46 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
I would go for a second opinion. Bring all the records with you for the 2nd vet to review. If the 2nd vet couldn't help her, then put her down. If it was my cat, that's what I would. I had a less dire situation with him where I took him to 6 different vets in the past 5 years to find out the cause of his drastic weight loss - Renal Failure. He had anemia too but no infection, and eats and drinks. To me, if I know my only other option is euthanasia, I want to make sure I did the best I could for him.
ITA with this. At least if you get a second opinion and there's nothing else to be done, you'll know you did all you could.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:23 AM

Bad news. She went back to the vet this morning. She has leukemia. No idea how she got it unless she just randomly developed it. Both of our cats were tested right after we got them and they have been indoors.

They said blood transfusions were an option, but will only buy her a little time.

I guess we know what we have to do now... :-(

Old 09-28-2015, 10:30 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
(((hugs)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats