Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 04:48 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

You CAN put shelves or a table for them in the kitchen as has already been suggested. There is no reason not to.
Actually, no we can't. There is no room in the kitchen for any perch specifically for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
But when you are not home, every surface is theirs.

As it should be.
Nope, I don't buy into that at all.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:02 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Actually, no we can't. There is no room in the kitchen for any perch specifically for them.
Be creative. A shelf on the wall won't detract. A counter height stool. You can figure something out.

Quote:

So you're going to stay home and squirt them off the counters every minute of the day?

There are so so many things more important.

You have cats, your home is not going to be perfect.

Last edited by catsmom21; 11-06-2015 at 07:10 PM..

Old 11-07-2015, 04:30 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
mishigas73 ... I agree that animals don't have the right to go wherever they please ... we teach our kids that standing on the kitchen table isn't the proper place to see what's going on, so it's no different with cats. Some cats will never abandon the desire to get on counters, and will always continue to do so, BUT in my 38 years of cat ownership I've never had a cat who didn't learn when it was allowed and when it was not.

Your "semi feral" kitty will be more of a challenge. Obviously he lived a life that when food was present he had to take immediate advantage of getting to it. Thus, he's been conditioned that food on the counter requires immediate action. It will just take some time for him to realize that he no longer has to worry about that.

Not knowing how your kitchen is set up other than there is no place for shelves nor a cat tree, is there a section of countertop that is away from the food prep/cooling area that he could sit on? Or is there a way he could sit on the top of the frig? Maybe he's a tree-dweller type and just really needs to see what's going on from above.

Another thought I had ... what is the feeding schedule for the cats? Does it coincide with your mealtimes? I was thinking that if you satisfy their hunger instinct as you are preparing your meals, perhaps your "problem child" may have less of a desire to get onto the counter?

How old is he by the way?

Rereading your original post - please don't use vinegar in a spray bottle - it will burn his eyes.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:52 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Another idea about behavior modification. I had forgotten about a study done on cougars. Because cougars can ravage stock (especially sheep), farmers were looking for other ways to keep them at bay since in certain parts of the US cougar populations are very low and killing them wasn't the best option. In a controlled setting (meaning cougars in captivity) different types of meats were given to the cougars. They were allowed to eat venison in peace. But when given lamb or mutton the researchers banged loudly on metal pans and created chaos. Through this aversion technique (negative reinforcement) the cougars learned quickly to avoid mutton - they wouldn't touch that meat.

I don't remember now how this was applied in real life to help farmers, but it was (if I recall there were motion sensors placed on fencing and loud noises sounded when the sensors were triggered ... something like that).

The more negative reinforcement techniques you use with your countertop kitty, the more he'll consider it a place to avoid.

Whenever you catch him getting ready to make the leap (which is sometimes hard to do since cats are sly and fast), maybe bang on something. That's the best time, when he's thinking about it.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:41 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
Yuck.
Try a Scat Mat. Gives the equivalent of a static electricity shock when stepped on. We had to use it to keep our dog from counter surfing. I like the sofa length size good for counters, furniture and even to use as a "Gate" If you don't want to use one I'd go with the water bottle.

Last edited by Prosze; 11-08-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 11-08-2015, 08:35 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
But does your CAT buy into that....? The cat is in charge.

Quote:
So you're going to stay home and squirt them off the counters every minute of the day?

There are so so many things more important.

You have cats, your home is not going to be perfect.
Yep, cats do things when you are not around......

I do disagree with catsmom last sentence, though.....I would amend it to say this:

Quote:
You have cats, your home is now perfect.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
But does your CAT buy into that....? The cat is in charge.
My goal is to make the counter as un-enticing as possible so that they don't want to hang out there, even when I'm not around.

How is this any different from say, not wanting a cat to scratch on furniture? The cat is in charge, no? So why not just let it scratch wherever it wants to?

The past couple of nights, we've taken turns monitoring the kitchen as we've been eating. My hope now is that the more we catch them and either spray them with the water gun or the nerf dart guns we just got, the less they'll think that the counter is a "good thing".

The ultimate fact is that we need to find some solution to keep the cats off the counter when food is being prepped or eaten. In this respect, no, I don't believe in shrugging my shoulders and saying "cats will do what they're going to do".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yep, cats do things when you are not around......
Of course they do. There is no need to monitor this 24/7, since the counters are really not all that enticing without the food around. They have way better places to be if all they want is a perch.

I certainly do not expect my house to be "perfect". I'd just like not to have to share my food with the kitties.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:19 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
O
Quote:
f course they do. There is no need to monitor this 24/7, since the counters are really not all that enticing without the food around. They have way better places to be if all they want is a perch.
If food is the motivation, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate their diet.

Quote:
How is this any different from say, not wanting a cat to scratch on furniture? The cat is in charge, no? So why not just let it scratch wherever it wants to?
Cats need to scratch and cats like to be elevated. Provide what they need, in adequate scratching surfaces other than human furniture and enough elevated spaces in the areas they want to be up high, teach them to use what you've provided, so it's not a problem. It's just that simple.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:

If food is the motivation, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate their diet.
They eat wet food, three to four times per day. I feed them prior to cooking our meals, so I don't think hunger is the issue.

Quote:
Cats need to scratch and cats like to be elevated. Provide what they need, in adequate scratching surfaces other than human furniture and enough elevated spaces in the areas they want to be up high, teach them to use what you've provided, so it's not a problem. It's just that simple.
So, you can teach cats?

Doesn't seem to be so "simple" though, considering some of the responses I've seen here to my initial query.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats