Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 07:08 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,053 times

Advertisements

I don't watch a lot of tv so maybe I'm behind the times. I recently saw a commercial for Friskies' newest treat offering - Pull 'n Play Purina® Friskies® Pull 'n Play Cat Treat Play Pack | Crunchy Treats | PetSmart

My first reaction was......Wow, what a bad idea! A treat that encourages cats to eat string. What the heck were they thinking? String, ribbons, elastic, who knows why long stringy things look appetizing to our feline friends but they can pose big problems in the digestive tract.

I sincerely hope this stuff dies quickly on the shelves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post

It's all about money! Profit.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:03 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
I don't watch a lot of tv so maybe I'm behind the times. I recently saw a commercial for Friskies' newest treat offering - Pull 'n Play Purina® Friskies® Pull 'n Play Cat Treat Play Pack | Crunchy Treats | PetSmart

My first reaction was......Wow, what a bad idea! A treat that encourages cats to eat string. What the heck were they thinking? String, ribbons, elastic, who knows why long stringy things look appetizing to our feline friends but they can pose big problems in the digestive tract.

Not to mention what the treat is actually made of food-wise. But you have a point about the string thing. I can certainly see some unintended negative consequences from something like this. My question is, why risk it when there are much healthier treats, and better ways to entertain a cat than this.
Corporate brainstorming and marketing focus groups aren't necessarily a good thing.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:15 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
Quote:

I thought the same thing when I first saw it, too. I'll just stick to the "expensive" toys that my cats like to play with, like a candy wrapper, a paper bag, and the ever popular cardboard box.

Cat

Old 11-13-2015, 03:05 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
I had a cat once who ate a ribbon when we were out for the morning--he whole thing--he started eating and obviously had to continue. Only way I know is it came out in his poo poo that week. It was so scary seeing that. My God, he could have choked or got an intestinal obstruction. I was always a safe cat parent, overprotective if anything, but the little rascal got it.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:02 AM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I had a cat once who ate a ribbon when we were out for the morning--he whole thing--he started eating and obviously had to continue. Only way I know is it came out in his poo poo that week. It was so scary seeing that. My God, he could have choked or got an intestinal obstruction. I was always a safe cat parent, overprotective if anything, but the little rascal got it.

I also had a cat who ate a WHOLE ribbon/bow. He up-chucked it. When I saw it, I was like, "How the hell did he get that thing down?"

Cat

Old 11-14-2015, 07:54 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
My sister bought one for her cat, who didn't care for it. So she sent it to me, and my 4 cats didn't care for it either. It's just sitting in the middle of the living room floor. You can leave the "strings" off and still put regular treats inside the roly-poly part so that they have to "fish" for them. I'll try that, but mine are LAZY.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:52 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,922,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Years ago I came into our bedroom and our Tucker had eaten nearly the entire string from my pajama pants! It was a string covered by silky fabric.

I panicked and pulled it from his mouth (thankfully, since it was silky it slid out easily). He must have swallowed two feet of it! I was so lucky I saw him when I did. I keep all things string like out of sight now.

I would never have this toy, or its "treat strings" in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats