Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:49 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,324,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
yes, they are very sensitive! I am sooooo sorry your little guy was not well treated. I have a rescued kitty, Otis, that has been with us 3 years, and he is just now getting to the point where he will get on the bed with us, (cant keep the other 2 off!)but he is coming along. I do the same thing with his face as you, he has gotten to the point where he will start grooming my forehead if he is in the mood, its so true about the patience thing!
I find the MORE human contact you can give them, the better they are. My little white guy would LIKE to go off and hide on his own but we don't often let him do this. I think its imporant to make sure they don't continue in that anti-social way, I'm sure if they come from a bad situation, being anti-social was the only way to get through it.

Now I can kiss and love on my little white kitty and he just purrs and enjoys it. When I first brought him home he didn't know how to react at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I find the MORE human contact you can give them, the better they are.
That is soooo true, too! I am sitting on the sofa right now, and all three are either on the arms or back, grouped around me. I have found that they will gravitate to whatever room of the house I am in, whether I am asleep, or working, or just hanging out. I guess I am the "leader" of the pack, LOL!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
That is soooo true, too! I am sitting on the sofa right now, and all three are either on the arms or back, grouped around me. I have found that they will gravitate to whatever room of the house I am in, whether I am asleep, or working, or just hanging out. I guess I am the "leader" of the pack, LOL!
Mine are that way too. My little white cat just came running out of my room and got on the back of my daughters favorite chair.

When I go back to bed, they will all three end up in bed with me.

I read somewhere that when you pet your cat, it reminds them of when their Mother was bathing them. I'm not sure how they know that but my boys really get happy. My little white cat is kneading dough and rolling over on his side, purring and smiling in that funny way they do. Over the time we have had him, I have gotten him used to letting me scratch his belly, that was a completely NEW thing to him but now he spreads out for me, even just now bracing his paw against the screen of my laptop while I was rubbing him.

One of these days I am going to get one of those carriers where you carry your baby on the front of your body, the ones for the little babies. I think that would help cats who are not calm.

I used to have a cat that I got when he was about the size of a beany baby. I had been in an accident and was confined to the house and could move around very little. Because one of my arms was in a sling and I had several other injuries, I couldn't carry him with me from room to room and it was too far for him to keep up, I used to carry him in the pocket of my rob. When I was sitting, he would sit on my chest over my heart beat. He was insistent, nothing else would do. He and I were as close as an animal and a person could be.

Last edited by Lindsey_Mcfarren; 02-04-2008 at 02:18 AM..

Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,298,282 times
I've heard that cats also purr when they are in pain, for selfcomfort . It's highly possible because right before mine died, she was ill for quite some time and she purred a lot more often during that time. But they all have their personalities also and that must have something to do with purring and how they express themselves.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I've heard that cats also purr when they are in pain, for selfcomfort . It's highly possible because right before mine died, she was ill for quite some time and she purred a lot more often during that time. But they all have their personalities also and that must have something to do with purring and how they express themselves.
I have heard this also, sort of like how a dog can be wagging his tail when he could be very mad.

Cats are wonderful and mystical animals.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 AM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
My two cats have distinct purrs as well. GirlKitty sounds like a well-tuned Jaguar; she's very quiet and her rhythm never changes. If you start petting her, she first begins to purr, then she stretches out her left rear paw and begins to suck on her toes and knead whatever she's sitting on. Yikes if it's me! Ow!

BoyKitty, on the other hand, sounds like a louder-than-usual Mack truck desperately in need of a tuneup. Sometimes he gets so overjoyed in his purring that he forgets to breathe, and has to stop purring for a second to right himself. It's hilarious. Usually he starts purring the instant he sees you.

When we first brought them in from outside (they were abandoned and showed up in our backyard), they weren't letting us touch them, and they'd only purr when they were curled up together. BoyKitty allowed petting first, and when we'd pet him, GirlKitty would sit next to him and purr, but still not allow us to touch her. I guess eventually she wanted some of what her brother was getting!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My two cats have distinct purrs as well. GirlKitty sounds like a well-tuned Jaguar; she's very quiet and her rhythm never changes. If you start petting her, she first begins to purr, then she stretches out her left rear paw and begins to suck on her toes and knead whatever she's sitting on. Yikes if it's me! Ow!

BoyKitty, on the other hand, sounds like a louder-than-usual Mack truck desperately in need of a tuneup. Sometimes he gets so overjoyed in his purring that he forgets to breathe, and has to stop purring for a second to right himself. It's hilarious. Usually he starts purring the instant he sees you.

When we first brought them in from outside (they were abandoned and showed up in our backyard), they weren't letting us touch them, and they'd only purr when they were curled up together. BoyKitty allowed petting first, and when we'd pet him, GirlKitty would sit next to him and purr, but still not allow us to touch her. I guess eventually she wanted some of what her brother was getting!
That is so sweet, I am SO glad you took them in. I can just see two little kitties curled up together.

My little white cat purrs softly enough that you HAVE to put your head on him to hear it or place your hand on him to feel it. My other two cats, which are big cats, you can just be close to them and hear it.

Salem loves to lay over on his back, spread his legs for a full undercarriage rub, all the way from his front legs down to his lower belly and he purrs like crazy for this. He gets this look in his eye that is reminiscent of a drug induced haze. He had to stay overnight at the Vet one time, they told me he would do this to attract them to his cage for a belly rub, being that it was unusual to see a cat this relaxed at the Vet, it worked and they would stop and rub his belly for awile. He is a shameless little hussy.

This is why I laugh so much when people say they don't like cats because they are so aloof. Salem and my other two boys are alot of things but aloof is not one of them.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:02 PM

75 posts, read 272,303 times
i would be petting our cat more often if 1. She didn't live out in the garage. and 2. she wouldn't try to bite me, but whenever i feel she wants attention and she won't bite me i do scratch her and she likes it.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,818,072 times
dont get the aloof thing myself, my kitties have to know whats going on all the time, and have appointed themselves majordomos of the household, they just have to meet and greet everyone!

Old 02-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
dont get the aloof thing myself, my kitties have to know whats going on all the time, and have appointed themselves majordomos of the household, they just have to meet and greet everyone!
Mine are that way as well, I think the ATT guy was a little surprised when all three of them marched right up to him, my Salem stood up on his leg to get a closer look.

I had a man from Lowes in to install a new ceiling fan, all three ran up to him, I asked him if he had cats and he said he did. He was like the cat whisperer. I had to take the cats and put them away in my room because they were literally under foot. He had cat treats in his van that he brought back in for them. They acted as if he had a piece of mackerel hanging around his neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats