Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 9,589 times

Advertisements

A few months back, I got my first kitten, his name is Leo, and he is now about three months old, my boyfriend and I are out most of the day and so often feel we do not get enough time to spend with Leo - he's a very playful kitten and we hated the thought of him being lonely. So last night, I brought home a new kitten - milo - who is 8 weeks old, very small and also very playful, however Leo now hisses and swipes at milo whenever he sees him and I am unsure how to help the two of them get along as one of the reasons that milo is here is to be Leo's friend and to stop him getting lonely. It looks like Leo (my older cat) is just curious and milo also seems to want to play with Leo, however the two of them hiss and swipe at each other. What can I do to remedy this? It's absolutely knackering as I was up all night trying to get the two to get on with each other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 07:36 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,719,250 times
First, 8 weeks is VERY young. Second, when introducing a new cat to a household, you can't just bring in a new one and expect instant nirvana! The newcomer should be in room that can be closed off. They should be able to smell each other, then eventually see each other through a door, but still no contact. Eventually, they actually meet each other.

https://www.petfinder.com/cats/bring...introductions/
Introducing Your New Cat to Other Pets : The Humane Society of the United States

Will they definitely get along? Maybe, maybe not! You cannot force them to get along. But you can introduce them properly, and this will take TIME, as in DAYS.

Oh, forgot to add: Make sure you have 3 litter boxes now - one for each cat, plus one extra. You should also be feeding a quality wet food or balanced raw food- NO KIBBLE! Being young kittens is the PURRfect time for them to get used to the wet food; then will not have the problem some do later when they try to get them off of the dry to wet. Being young kittens, you will have to somehow arrange for someone to feed them the wet food while you are not home.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,589 times
Thank you PeachSalsa, I'm keeping them apart and gradually getting there, I've always fed my older kitten wet food and the same for my new one! It's so much better for them - although very expensive haha x

Old 11-24-2015, 12:18 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,719,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucyp_ View Post
Thank you PeachSalsa, I'm keeping them apart and gradually getting there, I've always fed my older kitten wet food and the same for my new one! It's so much better for them - although very expensive haha x
Yes, it is expensive, but so, so much better, and you will have a few benefits! One, your kitties will be healthier and happier because they will feel so much better. Second, you will save many dollars on vet bills.

Enjoy your little balls of fun energy!

Old 11-24-2015, 01:59 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,238,856 times
Don't worry too much about the hissing & swatting. That's normal behavior as they are actually communicating with each other. As others have said, just keep an eye on them when they're together so nothing gets out of hand, and do the gradual introduction. It may take several days, but they should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats