Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 06:12 PM

9 posts, read 18,223 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I adopted a cat four days ago from a shelter. I was given all of his vet info on vaccinations, deworming, rabies tag and microchip info. He is a 2 year old blue and white maine coon.

The first night he was very nervous but seemed to settle in. The next day all was fine until about 4:30 pm. He threw up twice. The second time a large roundworm came out. He has been vomiting ever since. I called the shelter immediately after the worm, they said the vet was not in but to come down and pick up two syringes of medicine.

We gave him the first dose, that was an adventure! He vomited two hours later. He refuses to eat, and has not eaten in 3 days. Today he refused water for the first time. He sleeps all day and night.

I am going to get him to a vet in the morning when one is available. I just hope this is not fatal or going to cost me a fortune. Poor little guy is very ill.

Can a shelter really adopt out sick animals? I find it ironic that upon us finalizing his adoption, the lady said "here is your vetting paper, he is fine, no need to take him to the vet right away."

Any experience with this sort of thing? Any advice is welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 06:38 PM

422 posts, read 574,378 times
Anyone who comments tonight will urge you to find a 24 hour vet right NOW. He may not make it til tomorrow. I'd call around until you find one. Shouldn't be too hard unless you live in the middle of nowhere. This is a life or death thing if he won't eat or drink.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:19 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Vet asap! No hesitate! He needs help--no matter cost. Lives cant be priced--ask Steve Jobs. Please get him now to doc, & get off internet & save his health.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:51 PM

Yeah well I live in the middle of nowhere. The only 24 hour vet is 75 miles from me.

He is at the vet and has been since this morning. They are going to keep him a few days, run tests, take xrays and observe him. He has a fluid drip.

Late last night he ate a few bites of canned food and drank water. He was up and running around this morning, until it was time to go to the doctor.

I am sorry if I appeared to not be in enough of a hurry for some people. But please try and grasp that I do live in bumpkinville and have a disabled child so packing up for a 75 mile journey is a bit tough.

He is in good hands now. Hopefully he feels better soon.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:53 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Sounds like you're doing right by your kitty, OP. Hopefully he'll soon be over this rough start, and the two of you will have many long, healthy, and enjoyable years together!

Old 12-14-2015, 01:37 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
OP, it sure sounds to me like you're doing what you can for your kitty.

In terms of shelters adopting out sick animals? The "pollyanna" part of me hopes that they would never knowingly do so (without at least letting the potential adopter know), but the reality is that it probably does happen. Perhaps people working there figuring that the animal would have a better chance that way than staying in the shelter.

Best of luck to you and your little furry boy. Paws crossed here for a speedy recovery.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:02 PM

318 posts, read 372,505 times
.The places I have seen don't do it knowingly, hopeful no shelter knowingly hides an ill animal, on that I concur with mishigas73.

but I've heard of it, bringing home a new friend and discovering they were sick. Sometimes the vet would truly need psychic abilities to catch everything, or running thousands of dollars in tests per animal to truly eliminate every potential problem. Shelters do run some tests before animals are adopted out. I hear of more cases though which involve very ill puppies/kittens purchased from pet shops, shelters are much better odds of getting a healthy friend.

That's good he's at a vet now and can start to improve. Here's hoping for an excellent outcome. Maine coons are such wonderful characters, so hopefully the rough patch will be over and you get to enjoy plenty of companionship and good health from here on out.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I am very worried and missing my new pal already. I feel so bad leaving him sick and scared at the vet after he was just rescued from the shelter.

I just hope he can make a full recovery.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:46 PM

2,026 posts, read 333,846 times
It is very commendable of you to take initiative for your little one. Let us know how he is holding out when you can! Tons of well wishes are being sent your way...

Old 12-15-2015, 03:31 PM

Today he ate a little. The vet wormed him, but is keeping him still to see if he poops or vomits what he has taken in so far. They say he is doing well so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats