Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 PM

15,836 posts, read 21,369,827 times

Advertisements

Puck developed a UTI and I got him into the vet's office within 2 hours of spotting the first symptoms (peeing a few little drops on hard surfaces, straining in the litter box). He's on antibiotics and painkillers until we can do the urinalysis, which I'll drop off on Saturday (the vet is closed early today and will be closed tomorrow).

Things are pretty stressful in the house - one of my roommates is moving out (taking with him all of our furniture, including the chair Puck likes to sleep on) and with him goes the cat that has been like a brother to Puck for the past 4 years. Puck got a UTI a few years ago under similar circumstances, so I'd guess it's probably stress.

I know antibiotics can take a few days to kick in. Any ideas of keeping him comfy (and not peeing on everything?) in the next few days? I try to nail the areas he dribbles on with Nature's Miracle, but it's less him thinking it's OK to pee there as it is him being in pain so it's not so helpful. I'm mixing water in with his canned food. Unfortunately, we don't really have a spare room to keep him in other than a tiny bathroom and I'm pretty sure that will just stress him out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:25 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,786,235 times
I don't have any suggestions, but I'm very sorry to hear about poor Puck. That sucks about the roommate taking everything.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:17 PM

To be fair, it was all his furniture but because it took up all our common space we never augmented with our own stuff. Having everything in disarray and losing his best buddy probably isn't helping bladder matters, though! Puck doesn't like change.

Right now he seems to be concentrating his urination in a paper bag in the kitchen, a corner of my room on a big plastic tote bag, under my bed on a bag filled with scarves, and on the bathroom floor - though I just caught him squeezing out a few drops on top of my bed. The antibiotics can't work soon enough!!!

Old 12-31-2015, 03:35 PM

11,246 posts, read 19,463,824 times
A UTI is extremely painful and the potential to block in a male is very real. The pain causes stress with increases the inflammation. The pain medication should be helping him.

It's the pain that makes him keep trying to pee everywhere.

NO DRY FOOD. Feed wet low carb foods only.

Most urinary tract disorders are not actually bacterial infections. The symptoms stem from inflammation due to stress and/or crystals in the urine.

Here's some good reading for you,.

Feline Urinary Tract Health: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat urinary tract health

Sorry about all the stress. Get some Rescue Remedy, and maybe a feliway plug in diffuser. These may help him cope.

I'd also recommend getting him on d-mannose right away. The relief is almost instantaneous. D-mannose pure powder, 1/8 teaspoon mixed in his wet food twice a day.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:41 PM

1,038 posts, read 899,916 times
Needs to drink more water

cats get most of it from their food so I would only feed wet and water it down besides

poor kitty x

Old 12-31-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
A UTI is extremely painful and the potential to block in a male is very real. The pain causes stress with increases the inflammation. The pain medication should be helping him.

It's the pain that makes him keep trying to pee everywhere.

NO DRY FOOD. Feed wet low carb foods only.

Most urinary tract disorders are not actually bacterial infections. The symptoms stem from inflammation due to stress and/or crystals in the urine.

Here's some good reading for you,.

Feline Urinary Tract Health: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat urinary tract health

Sorry about all the stress. Get some Rescue Remedy, and maybe a feliway plug in diffuser. These may help him cope.

I'd also recommend getting him on d-mannose right away. The relief is almost instantaneous. D-mannose pure powder, 1/8 teaspoon mixed in his wet food twice a day.

Thanks! Where can I get d-mannose?

He's on wet-only food, but I'm heading out to the store now to try an alternative protein since I'm seeing lots of sites say that even chicken is a no-no (I avoid fish for him to avoid these situations!). I *really* watered down his food this afternoon and he drank every last drop, which is a good thing!

I also am going to try dosing him with a little apple cider vinegar in his food.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:07 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,272,174 times
I had a male cat with the same symptoms and he was blocked due to stress. While we waited for the urinalysis, the vet prescribed royal canin SO urinary food, plus antibiotics. The food supposedly is formulated to have a PH level that prevents or breaks down current crystals in his urine. Did the vet at least prescribe for this food? My cat was on it and didn't have another problem since.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:25 AM

The vet told me that he couldn't prescribe food until he knew what kind of crystals Puck has, so that has to wait until the office opens up tomorrow to bring in the urinalysis.

I got him some new toys and better food, but he's picky about his food and seems to want to stick with the same stuff (cheapish wet food). That said, he's been very good about at least drinking all the water out of the food mixes I make for him.

There was a big puddle of pee in his litter box this morning, so I don't think he's blocked, but he's still walking around and squatting in corners. He also now smells like urine, but I don't want to give him a bath and stress him out further. I'm trying to hit him with a waterless shampoo while I'm brushing him, because he loves being brushed.

This whole process is horrible. He refused food completely when I put a little apple cider vinegar in, so I might try to give him some diluted with water through the syringe. At least he's really good about taking the syringe!

Old 01-01-2016, 08:26 AM

3,963 posts, read 4,222,748 times
He is probably squatting in corners because his urethra is spasming and it's painful and he constantly feels like he has to pee. I so sympathize with you. BTDT, more times than I care to think about. My worst cases ended up with urethrostomies, which solved the problem nicely, but wasn't fun for the cat to go through. Good luck with Puck! It sounds like you are keeping a very close eye on him.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:54 AM

Like mommy like kitty - I have chronic UTIs myself so I know that feeling. But I'm a human who knows what's going on. I'm sure it's super painful for a cat who has no idea why it hurts to pee. It's breaking my heart.

Luckily, I'm home alone today to try to keep things calm and comfy for him. Normally he'd spend most of the day asleep up on my bed, but the pain has him pretty agitated. He'll lay down on the floor for about half an hour but not sleep, then go through his rounds of peeing on things including making passes at the litter box (I follow him down to monitor - it looks like he gets more out in the box and I praise him like crazy every time he goes). At least he's getting urine out, which is of course my biggest worry. Every few hours, I pick him up and feel his bladder. It doesn't feel any different than when the vet examined him and the vet didn't seem too concerned.

The antibiotics seem to be messing with his tummy, now, because his poop is super stinky and sticking to the long fur by his bum. It happens every once in awhile on its own but feels so unfair to be happening now. I tried to wipe his tush with an organic baby wipe to get the dingleberry out, but his hind end still reeks. I think that's what I smelled earlier when I thought he smelled of urine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats