Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 05:07 PM

152 posts, read 184,823 times

Advertisements

like in NYC.
I sometimes feed the cats, they don't seem malnourished or skinny but worries that they will die in winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 06:43 PM

80 posts, read 72,092 times
During heavy snows or severely cold days, they tend to sneak into small holes or find shelters under the car.
I think they are exposed to more danger under the car than on the street because sometimes the driver doesn't notice
their presence. I rescued a little kitten about a month ago worrying that she might not survive. - it was a bit cold back then -
I, too, am very worried that street cats won't survive the winter, but at the same time, I think that's how nature works.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:17 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,567,168 times
You can help by making shelters for them:

Building Winter Shelters for Community Cats - Alley Cat Advocates | Trap-Neuter-Release and Volunteer Services for Greater Louisville, KY

Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 PM

396 posts, read 418,225 times
Bless your heart for thinking of them. So many people don't.

This is a bit pricey but we purchased this for two strays who live in our complex. We have this in the yard and they love it! They have two options and we bought the one for ferals. It comes with a big batch of straw to put inside since straw (not hay) is great for keeping them warm. It dries out a lot faster than hay. Towels get damp and stay damp.

Amazon.com : The NEW IMPROVED Kitty Tube-GENERATION 2. Outdoor Insulated Cat House - Feral Option with Straw. : Cat Houses And Condos : Pet Supplies

Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 PM

3,963 posts, read 4,213,879 times
I worry about the ferals in this weather, too. Although I have some older ones now (12-13 years) that have survived some miserable winters. 2 of them slept in one of my window wells in a bed for quite a few winters (window wells have a clear plastic bubble over them). I also have "igloo" style dog houses with beds and fleece blankets. I heat up Snuggle Safe warming disks in the microwave and place them under the beds (never allow a cat to lay directly on top of them, as they get pretty hot).

I am sure some homeless kitties die during the winter and especially during storms, and it makes me so sad. The ones around here tend to hunker down under my shed during a storm, if they're not in the window well or the igloo.

Spay and neuter! (Yes, my ferals have been spayed and neutered. Otherwise, we would have a lot more feral cats than we already have!)

Old 01-04-2016, 11:46 PM

396 posts, read 418,225 times
I was just coming back to post about the Snuggle Safe disks but LoriNJ beat me to it!

Amazon.com : Snuggle Safe Pet Bed Microwave Heating Pad : Pet Supplies

I just ordered one of these and I'm soooo excited about it! I'm going to put it in the kitties' little shelter that we have for them and they will really be nice and warm. It says it stays warm for 12 hours but heck even less than that is fantastic!

Old 01-05-2016, 02:27 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,310,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
I was just coming back to post about the Snuggle Safe disks but LoriNJ beat me to it!

Amazon.com : Snuggle Safe Pet Bed Microwave Heating Pad : Pet Supplies

I just ordered one of these and I'm soooo excited about it! I'm going to put it in the kitties' little shelter that we have for them and they will really be nice and warm. It says it stays warm for 12 hours but heck even less than that is fantastic!
I have 3 of them and they are GREAT! I use them in my outdoor shelter cat house and they do maintain heat for a LONG time. They are very HARD though so do use with the fuzzy cover. I've never used them without the cover, and with the cover cats can sleep right on them without danger due to overheating/etc.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:50 PM

2,975 posts, read 3,890,477 times
Cats are pretty resourceful. We had a neighbor who was an alcoholic and OD'd and went into detox. During (I assume) a drunken rage, he let his three cats outdoors. I helped the neighbors return one cat to his friend, but the other two scattered to the winds. This was in October.

A few days ago, I saw one of them a few blocks from our house.

However, as others have said, food/water/shelter increases their chances of survival. And if possible, spaying/neutering will help too--they won't be reproducing.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:56 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,764,867 times
I have a little black and gray stray who took up residence on my deck right now. I'm in WI and it's getting pretty chilly. I used a Rubbermaid container, styrofoam cooler, and straw and towels to make a shelter for it. I placed it on top of a tarp under my patio table and then put a heavy tarp over the whole thing. I also have a wooden box that I covered with a heavy blanket and placed a heating pad in. The cat likes to sit on the heating pad almost all day.

Because I can't stand the thought of this cat being cold, I just built yet another shelter... just in case. Our deck is starting to look like a shanty town for cats, but that's just how it's gonna be, I guess!

Old 01-05-2016, 04:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,556,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
Bless your heart for thinking of them. So many people don't.

This is a bit pricey but we purchased this for two strays who live in our complex. We have this in the yard and they love it! They have two options and we bought the one for ferals. It comes with a big batch of straw to put inside since straw (not hay) is great for keeping them warm. It dries out a lot faster than hay. Towels get damp and stay damp.

Amazon.com : The NEW IMPROVED Kitty Tube-GENERATION 2. Outdoor Insulated Cat House - Feral Option with Straw. : Cat Houses And Condos : Pet Supplies

My hubby and I bought one of these about 3 years ago and put it on our deck for several strays who "adopted" us when we moved into this house. We later sprung for the heated pad to go into it, and we also put fresh straw into it throughout the winter. It does a great job - keeps 3 full grown brothers safe and warm, out of the wind, and we also have a heated food/water bowl right beside it. It was a little pricy but the old dog house we had before was not windproof, and they seemed to not want to use it. They're happy and we're happy that they're safe and warm. We really like the Kitty Tube a LOT!!!!! We also belong to Alley Cat Allies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats