Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Years ago I came up with a solution to the problem of the cats being in a 'forbidden place'. I simply eliminated the off limits rule for everything in the house, and let them go wherever they want. It's just easier & less stressful.
And yes... all breakables have either been disposed of, in a drawer, or display cases.

Can't recommend it for everyone, of course, but it works for me.
Works for us, too. It's a philosophy I began to use when our daughter was a toddler and with curiosity started exploring everything. My mantra: It's just stuff. Anything that was not "just stuff" was put away (and that really wasn't very much). I've extended that philosophy to the cats. For the safety of our toddler daughter we made certain places/things inaccessible (outlet covers, gated stairways), and with the cats certain doors are kept closed. I even live with a giant cardboard barricade to keep the cats out of the living room just so that there's one place in the house with no cat hair. If they get past it (and the clever kitties do), oh well. Pull out the vacuum. Computer-related, I'm vigilant about backing up and saving, so if one of them starts typing on my keyboard and filling an open document with q's, k's, blank lines, I can easily go back to a previous save and all is well. I always presume a cat has been on a kitchen counter, so before food prep I always give it a cleaning. Life is good :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 08:21 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Just went through and rep'd everyone! Thanks for posting in my thread. I was posting in a different Cats thread that made me pretty sad so it was nice to come over here and read the fun and funny replies!

Moggie continues to enjoy the top of the armoire. The lamp continues to be knocked over every few days. Oh, well, I just pick it up and put it back, LOL! Will have to replace the lampshade at some point. Good thing it wasn't expensive!

I have officially adopted Catdad's rule that nowhere is off limits for kitties. (We already have the "Annie rule," which says that everyone including all other kitties must be nice to Annie. She's my princess kitty. )

Gotta love kitties!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:46 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Thank you, Karen, for starting the thread! We really do need something to laugh at sometimes.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:05 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
That's a nice thought, but I think Prof. Einstein would tell you that's not possible.... due to the space-time continuum thingy.
Bah, what did he know. LOL As much as I understand the metaphysical difficulties, I still want to be one of my own cats.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Checkers walked across the TV remote the other day, and now the picture is stretched out horizontally and about 1/4 of the picture is missing on either side. I tried switching the TV back to the factory settings, to no avail. I can't figure out for the life of me which key he stepped on!
I have had cats change computer settings (usually by stepping repeatedly on a key). Then I have to call my husband to figure out what they did, so he can undo it.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We are almost there Catdad7x. Someone has decided that my hip is the best place to take a nap on in the early morning hours. My job description has been broadened to furniture for a 15 pounder.
All is well right now. One is on a poof covered with sheepskin and roasting in front of the fire place. The other one is in her cat tree overlooking the living room enjoying the heat and the view. I plan to sport whiskers and a tail in my next life
We lost 2 of our girls during 2015 (both quite elderly). They both adored my husband. I can't tell you how many times I woke up to find them both sitting on his chest while he slept! I could not understand how he was able to breathe while he was using his chest muscles to lift at least 15 extra pounds up with each breath! He said he loved when they did that.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Years ago I came up with a solution to the problem of the cats being in a 'forbidden place'. I simply eliminated the off limits rule for everything in the house, and let them go wherever they want. It's just easier & less stressful.
And yes... all breakables have either been disposed of, in a drawer, or display cases.

Yep, love this philosophy. For years, we tried to figure out how to stop the cats from chewing on lamp cords (and any other electrical cord they could find). We would keep the lamps unplugged when the cats were unsupervised, but we still had to constantly replace cords. We finally had the "ah hah!". We stopped using lamps and now use only overhead lighting. Problem solved. And there are no other electrical cords available in the rooms where we have cats. If a cat is in the kitchen with me and the laptop, he or she is supervised. Except, apparently, for that nanosecond when I had my back turned and the Apple iPad charger cord got chewed up.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:43 AM

1,038 posts, read 902,199 times
Quote:

I have kittens and the girl kitten kept climbing on the table

I wont have them on the table nor the benches

She's learnt already - 3 scolds and she's stopped

You can also place special cat pads around the walls so they each have Their Own Perch which is what they want.

Im planning Kitty Palace here...its going to be a Cat Backyard

Old 01-09-2016, 12:29 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
My sweet little orange boy might have a future with Microsoft.

I stepped away from my laptop for a couple of minutes, and when I came back, the display was rotated 90 degrees. The bugger figured out the keyboard shortcut to do it.

Once I got the issue straightened out (pun intended), I was going to give him a stern talking to- and found this:
Yep, have had that happen a few times. Serenity was the main culprit. She could not stay off of my keyboard if I dared get up for a minute to tend to something. The first time she did it, years ago, I had no choice but to learn how to fix that 90 degree turn. It's a lot of fun looking up info on the internet sideways.

She has sent unfinished emails, with her own statement or two before doing so.

She has done the same with messages/chat - but it's apparently such a common thing now that when it happens, you usually get the reply: "Cat jumped on your keyboard?" after they received something like this:

"fdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddsaswdawdfasdd fdfsdsaddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd "

And she has somehow pulled up programs while I was sleeping. The one time she made me think that maybe ghosts really were real was when she managed to click the 'up' arrow and then some other key. This resulted in a video I had fallen asleep to being turned up full volume, and played again. I woke up right away, but by the time I figured out that the video was playing, she had already jumped off the table next to the couch I was sleeping on...and being in a groggy state...well, the imagination went wild until I was fully awake and put two and two together.

I think they do it on purpose, just for the entertainment value.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:42 PM

Years ago, we had a home-based business. We had a dedicated fax machine. One of our cats slept in that room (fortunately, she wasn't a wire-chewer). She loved to send faxes in the middle of the night. There was a button where the fax machine would automatically resend the last fax. She loved to step on that button. So at 1, 2, 3 AM we would hear that familiar fax sound. No one ever said anything about getting a repeat fax in the middle of the night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats