Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:11 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times

Advertisements

Snickers was diagnosed with the very early stages of chronic kidney failure (CKF.) No more Fancy Feast for him, he has to eat Royal Canin Renal Support E, which he likes, luckily, and three capsules of Azodyl per day.

The Azodyl was $75 for 90 capsules at the vet, and that's a month's supply. I haven't had a chance to look online to find it for less, but it has to be refrigerated, which means it has to be shipped cooled. Any suggestions?

Azodyl & CKF-azodyl-1.jpg

Azodyl & CKF-royal_canin-2.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:15 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

....The Azodyl was $75 for 90 capsules at the vet, and that's a month's supply. I haven't had a chance to look online to find it for less, but it has to be refrigerated, which means it has to be shipped cooled. Any suggestions?....
Check all the pharmacies - Walmart's pharmacy is the cheapest were we live. Ask your vet for a prescription for the drug. Our vet is happy to give us a prescription so we can find the best prices.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 PM

It's not carried in the pharmacies. Costco has a list of pet medications, this isn't on the list, and I also checked with Walgreens. They carry antibiotics and flea medication. I'm going to have a friend check to see if I can get it in Mexico for less.

He's decided he doesn't like the Royal Canin, so 1/2 can went into the trash, and the other two will get returned to the vet.

Last edited by moved; 01-20-2016 at 11:33 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 11:54 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It's not carried in the pharmacies. Costco has a list of pet medications, this isn't on the list, and I also checked with Walgreens. They carry antibiotics and flea medication. I'm going to have a friend check to see if I can get it in Mexico for less.

He's decided he doesn't like the Royal Canin, so 1/2 can went into the trash, and the other two will get returned to the vet.
And check the Canadian pharmacies also.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:56 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
If you decide to use the Azodyl, I would follow the blood work to see if it has any effect. the research seems dubious.

Azodyl for Kidney Failure in Cats: An Update on the Evidence | The SkeptVet

Old 01-21-2016, 02:35 AM

188 posts, read 662,747 times
check on tanya's CRF page @ felinecrf.org or the related facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/felinecrf/). Tanya's page appears to be down for me at the moment, but hopefully it's back up soon.

You may not need to feed that renal food either and depending on the flavor your kitty could stay on fancy feast (with a binder if needed) . Azodyl as I recall is just a fancy probiotic and it's iffy if it actually does anything. You can order it online probably cheaper than the vet.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:19 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
The diet is important. It needs to be high quality protein and low in phosphorous.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:39 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,567,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The diet is important. It needs to be high quality protein and low in phosphorous.
Yes. None of that "kidney diet" food. Horrible stuff, low protein and even poorer quality. The canned fancy feast Classics are fine for him.

Hope he tolerates the azodyl. I've read that some cats have vomiting issues with it.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you decide to use the Azodyl, I would follow the blood work to see if it has any effect. the research seems dubious.

Azodyl for Kidney Failure in Cats: An Update on the Evidence | The SkeptVet
He goes back in two months for more bloodwork. He already had a senior panel and urinalysis done.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz View Post
check on tanya's CRF page @ felinecrf.org or the related facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/felinecrf/). Tanya's page appears to be down for me at the moment, but hopefully it's back up soon.

You may not need to feed that renal food either and depending on the flavor your kitty could stay on fancy feast (with a binder if needed) . Azodyl as I recall is just a fancy probiotic and it's iffy if it actually does anything. You can order it online probably cheaper than the vet.
The renal food looks and smells disgusting. I found the Azodyl online for less than the vet sells it for, and I have a friend that lives in Tijuana that's checking on the prices there for me. I got the first bottle at the vet, because I wanted to get him started on it right away, but I won't buy it there again. I mix the Azodyl with a tablespoon of food, and when he eats all of it, he gets more food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats