Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I would put Wellness on the same level with Fancy Feast Classics. Maybe slightly better because it contains no dyes or artificial flavorings. But not much other difference between the two other than that.Well, of course there's the fact that Fancy Feast is a Purina product. But at least they are wet foods. No grains either, another plus.
Yes, and the only reason the vet acquiesced was because I wasn't ready to go the home made route. I did try them with a few items -- pieces of sardine, for example, but they turned up their noses at any real food.
So we settled on Fancy Feast Classic seafood varieties for the time being. They do get real tuna now and then which they love.

I don't use poultry at all because it's has a high inflammatory rating, and we try to stick to anti-inflammatory foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:07 PM

422 posts, read 574,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Yes, and the only reason the vet acquiesced was because I wasn't ready to go the home made route. I did try them with a few items -- pieces of sardine, for example, but they turned up their noses at any real food.
So we settled on Fancy Feast Classic seafood varieties for the time being. They do get real tuna now and then which they love.

I don't use poultry at all because it's has a high inflammatory rating, and we try to stick to anti-inflammatory foods.
Fancy feast seafood classic is what we feed our cat. Because he's a male I'm worried about it. I am not sure if it's bad for females, though.

I will be completely restocking his food this weekend. I have like 30 cans of seafood I will be throwing out. Oh well

Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
Fancy feast seafood classic is what we feed our cat. Because he's a male I'm worried about it. I am not sure if it's bad for females, though.

I will be completely restocking his food this weekend. I have like 30 cans of seafood I will be throwing out. Oh well
Oh, don't toss them. Donate to your local shelter! They'll be so glad to have it.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:49 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:

As the other poster suggested you can donate them, or if you want to still use them, just use them sparingly. Once can a week until gone.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:32 AM

Quote:
As the other poster suggested you can donate them, or if you want to still use them, just use them sparingly. Once can a week until gone.
Yeah I guess I could do that. It's too bad that he can't just keep having them every day and still be safe.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Maybe this fish addiction thing is true. My cat will eat chicken flavored treats, but as for food he seems to only like the fish flavored ones. I got him some new flavors and it hasn't gone well.

Chicken - lapped it up for a few seconds, then backed away and went downstairs. I left it out for 2 hours and he wouldn't touch it. He does like real chicken, though.

Turkey - ate a small amount of it. Kept coming back to smell it but wouldn't eat more

Beef - same as turkey

What do I do here? Force him to eat these new flavors? Try more flavors? Just let him have his fish flavored?

Old 01-24-2016, 08:31 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
One of the foods I cycle in with my two cats is Hound & Gatos Lamb Chicken and Salmon formula. It has salmon but it's not a huge part of the formula. It might be good to get a blend like that if he isn't eating purely poultry or beef. It may help him transition.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:44 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Maybe this fish addiction thing is true. My cat will eat chicken flavored treats, but as for food he seems to only like the fish flavored ones. I got him some new flavors and it hasn't gone well.

Chicken - lapped it up for a few seconds, then backed away and went downstairs. I left it out for 2 hours and he wouldn't touch it. He does like real chicken, though.

Turkey - ate a small amount of it. Kept coming back to smell it but wouldn't eat more

Beef - same as turkey

What do I do here? Force him to eat these new flavors? Try more flavors? Just let him have his fish flavored?
How about mixing one of these half and half with the fish? See if he eats that, then very slowly back off on the fish you mix in.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
We've completely eliminated dry food from our cat's diet. I assumed that was all I needed to worry about, but I recently read that fish flavored foods are bad and should rarely or never be given. That's pretty much all he eats. He likes chicken and beef flavored food but loves fish flavored. Should I get rid of all of it and only buy beef/chicken/turkey flavored? I don't ever feed him people food, but are cat specific fish flavored foods still bad for him?

Thanks
Who says fish is bad? Beef, chicken and turkey can be worse. They are highly inflammatory and over time can weaken cells leading to disease.

Also, you refer to 'fish flavored'. How about trying real fish, as in tuna, small amounts mixed with whatever you want him to eat if you're trying to transition.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:02 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Who says fish is bad? Beef, chicken and turkey can be worse. They are highly inflammatory and over time can weaken cells leading to disease.

Also, you refer to 'fish flavored'. How about trying real fish, as in tuna, small amounts mixed with whatever you want him to eat if you're trying to transition.

I stated the reasons fish (including and especially tuna) is bad in my first post in this thread:

Quote:
I feed no fish, ever. Aside from the possible hyperthyroid connection (which isn't a new discovery, it's been tossed around for a number of years now) fish is high in histamines, making an allergic reaction more likely.

Fish is also high in phosphorous and magnesium which can lead to urinary tract problems.

The fish used in pet foods is generally very poor quality, and the more the fish is degraded, the higher the histamines.

The fish in pet foods is preserved during manufacturing using ethoxyquin, which is known to be a cancer-causing agent. Ethoxyquin is banned from use in human food (with the exception of spices)

Too much tuna can lead to thiamine deficiency.

Fish is highly addictive, which can lead to some cats refusing to eat anything else.

Cats may seem "fine" on a diet high in fishy cat foods, but as you may or may not know, seeming fine does not always mean fine. Cats often seem to suddenly become ill, when, what has actually happened is the illness has been building up for a long time, years even.

Since diet is so important, I commend you tonybarnaby for learning all you can about what to feed and what not to feed. Longevity is desirable, but so is the best quality of life we can give kitty. And the better the diet, the better kitty feels, both physically and mentally.

I used to have some links about fish in cat food, but I have changed computers a time or two since I last used them and will have to spend some time looking for them again. Maybe over the weekend.

One more thing. If you want to avoid all fish (as I do) you have to read labels very carefully. Fish is added to many cat foods, even if the food isn't named as fish. I mean it may say "beef cat food" but in the ingredients you will see things like "fish" "fish meal" "ocean fish"

Fish oil, used as a supplement is a different thing, but even then I would not recommend "fish oil" I would suggest pure salmon oil or krill oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats