Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 11:16 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry about Callie. Give her a hug and some pets for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 10:04 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Thanks everyone.

Last night I started to cry because I thought she was dying. She looked awful. But this morning she ate, she drank and actually looks okay again.

I guess this will be an up and down thing and I have to do my best to accept that. She is such a lady. She gets up in the middle of the night to use the litter box and get a drink. And she comes back to bed without waking me up. And if I turn on my side away from her, she comes over to my side to be close. Love that cat.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:52 AM

457 posts, read 497,015 times
My heart breaks for you and your baby. Enjoy every precious moment you have with her.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:59 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
PhxBarb, she sounds like such a sweet cat. Love your description of her as "such a lady."

They don't live nearly long enough. All we can do is love them with all our heart and soul.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:00 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
I would immediately fast the cat for a day or two on high calcium chicken broth and begin giving Slippery Elm syrup 3-4 times a day in between meals. I must have posted the recipe for the broth on this forum several times before.

Basically you roast a chicken; put it in a pot with juices; cover it with spring water and boil and then simmer for 4 hours adding more water to keep the chicken covered. Empty broth into a large container; when cool enough, squeeze remaining juice from the meat and add to the broth container. Discard the meat. (The original recipe dilutes it more by adding water to cover the cooling meat before squeezing it out but it doesn't taste as good to the cats. So I now omit this step. I might start out with extra water in step one to make a larger batch.) Move the bones to a smaller sauce pan, cover with spring water and a teaspoon or two of tomato juice so the acid from the tomato will help draw out the calcium from the bones. Simmer for 30 mins. Add to broth container. To make it more nutritious you could add parsley in with the chicken and a few cloves of garlic. My cats love this. Freeze unused broth for future use.

Slippery Elm absorbs toxins and soothes and heals the digestive tract. You can make it taking 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of the powdered herb mixed into a half cup of filtered water and simmer over low heat while stirring with a fork until it becomes a slippery syrup. Store unused portion in the fridge. Give it in half teaspoon amounts by squirting it with a plastic syringe into the cat's mouth a little at a time. It tastes like maple syrup. It is VERY healing - helps with vomiting, diarrhea, anything digestive tract related.... and cancer.

I would also get Una de Gato (Cat's Claw) which is also very good for the digestive tract and cancer. You can mix this into food. Start with 1/12 the amount recommended for humans and work up to 1/6.

I also would support the adrenals and kidneys with a glandular or herbs to support those organs ie sea vegetables, Siberian Ginseng for the adrenals and dandelion, parsley for the kidneys. You can make a tea and give it throughout the day and mix into the food.

After the fasting, I would switch to a bland home prepared diet of a teaspoon of well cooked millet mixed with 3-4 teaspoons of partially cooked ground chicken meat simmered in water. After a week, cook the chicken less and less working up to raw. Don't worry if the cat won't eat in the beginning. The herbs are loaded with nutrition and it is better to give the stomach a break when it is obviously protesting it is NOT happy with the status quo.

You will eventually want to put the cat on an extremely good quality canned food or one of the approved home prepared recipes which generally are comprised of 80 percent meat; 10 percent bones or bone meal; 5 percent liver and 5 percent other organ meat.

In the 80 percent meat portion I sometimes defrost frozen raw shrimp and give them 4 each which totals 2 ounces or so. I bone chicken drumsticks and cut the meat up and give it to them raw with the skin. I buy chicken wings for the bone and give them one each. So out of 10 meals; one of those will be a 2 oz chicken wing with bone or I will defrost and split a Cornish game hen that I get at an Asian market which is a little over 2 ounces. On liver days I give one ice cube size worth of liver and 1 oz of cat food and on other organ meat days I cut up 4 chicken hearts each and give them those mixed in with a 1/4 can of cat food -- usually Halo or Newman's organic. I usually sprinkle kelp or dulse flakes when I think of it and sometimes add water or chicken broth. Also in the 80 percent I may poach an egg and either give them one each or half of one mixed with 1/4 can cat food.

Last edited by emilybh; 02-05-2016 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats