Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times

Advertisements

I've been wondering this for a long time.

If people can miniaturize dogs, which I know they can because I own a 3 pound yorkiepoo, why hasn't someone developed a tiny cat? It seems like such a no-brainer. A 2- 3 pound cat would be the perfect pet for apartment dwellers, people with arthritis and rheumatoid diseases who can't lift much, elderly people, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 06:06 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
That is a very good question. It also goes with : why there is such a wide variety of dogs , from Great Danes to Chihuahuas & why cats are pretty much more closely related to each other. I do not know the answer . Anyone ????

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
I believe they are called teacup cats.....

Old 02-10-2008, 06:32 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
I don't know of 2-3 lb cats, but there are some breeds that are 4-6 lbs.

The Singapura is very small, I think they average about 4lbs.

The Abyssinian is about 5-6 lbs.

I myself have a Lynxpoint Siamese that is a tiny 5 lbs . She's not a miniature anything, it's just her normal breed size (though you can find Siamese in many size ranges).

She's been very healthy and will turn 16 this year.

I really like the small size.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:43 PM

60 posts, read 222,532 times
The last time I had a two-pound cat was when I brought home my adopted 8-week old kitten. She is now nearly 3 years old and a healthy 12 lbs. We also have another cat, almost 2 yrs. old, who is longer and thinner than the others. All our cats vary in size, weight, personality, and looks. I do not agree with people who try to develop new breeds of animals; this is best left to nature. It has taken many, many years to develop all the different breeds of dogs and, most times, they are prone to health and personality problems not present in the original strains. In general, I believe that seniors (and people of all ages, really) and animals are good company for one another. They just need to sensible when choosing a pet, knowing what type and size (calm or very active) they can handle. I'm glad people don't try to interfere with breeding smaller cats; after all, the domestic cat is already a much smaller version of its larger cousins (lions, tigers, etc).

Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRA View Post
I do not agree with people who try to develop new breeds of animals; this is best left to nature.
Some of the purebreds - like the ones I mentioned above - are naturally small.

Often, they are from the Far East. When you travel there, you can see that the street cats are very small - not like our typical American cat. It might be something to do with the climate.

The Singapura, for example, is from the streets of Singapore. Nobody "shrunk" the cat down, they are naturally very small.

The Abyssinian (from Ethiopia) and the Siamese (from Thailand) are very old breeds that are also naturally small, though the Siamese has been bred so many different ways that larger cats became the norm at some point.

I also have concerns with breeding animals down in size because it can lead to health problems, but naturally occurring small animals are usually as healthy as their bigger counterparts.......and they're cute!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 AM

60 posts, read 222,532 times
Riveree:
I wasn't aware of the naturally smaller breeds; all my cats have always been adopted in one way or another. Two were in our backyard, eating bread we had put out in the winter for the birds and squirrels (and we had 3 dogs when they both wandered into the yard). Others were adopted through local humane agencies. I haven't done the research about all the purebreds out there like you have but at least we agree about the problems associated with humans inteferring with the natural process of breeding.
And you're right about the cats being smaller in the Far East. The few we saw in Japan were smaller, maybe ours here are just better fed. We saw way more dogs on leashes there; I think the Japanese prefer dogs as pets and really pamper them.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
The Devon Rex tends to be a very small cat. Some, not all, are under 4 pounds. Our was until she ate herself a massive belly. Now she is on a diet.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:57 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That is a very good question. It also goes with : why there is such a wide variety of dogs , from Great Danes to Chihuahuas & why cats are pretty much more closely related to each other. I do not know the answer . Anyone ????
dogs come in so many different sizes and breeds because they were all breed for different purposes. larger dogs were mainly working dogs (hunting, livestock guards, war dogs, guarding). really small toy breeds came about to keep royalty/noblewomen company (and I think to provide heat). there are exceptions of course, both most of the small dogs were bred to do nothing but lay around on laps.

cats back then only had one true purpose: catch vermin. so it didn't matter what size or color they were, so long as they could catch mice and rats. breeding cats for color/size only started recently, and I think it takes a while to miniaturize them down to a breed as small as a chihuahua. not sure if anyone has even attempted it (Munchkins are short, but I don't believe they're smaller), but I know there are a few huge hybrid cats (saw an article about a 20-30lb wild cat hybrid!).

I don't think a smaller breed is necessary. it's not like cats are going to be carried around in fancy purses like small dogs are. I'd be too worried about health concerns. personally I would find it creepy to own a cat no bigger than the average 2lb+ rat!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRA View Post
Riveree:
I wasn't aware of the naturally smaller breeds; all my cats have always been adopted in one way or another. Two were in our backyard, eating bread we had put out in the winter for the birds and squirrels (and we had 3 dogs when they both wandered into the yard). Others were adopted through local humane agencies. I haven't done the research about all the purebreds out there like you have but at least we agree about the problems associated with humans inteferring with the natural process of breeding.
And you're right about the cats being smaller in the Far East. The few we saw in Japan were smaller, maybe ours here are just better fed. We saw way more dogs on leashes there; I think the Japanese prefer dogs as pets and really pamper them.
Ours too . We have this one purebred cat, but the others my husband has had were all feral (the last one passed just a while back at 16 yrs ). We have 3 dogs that are all rescues as well - 2 right off the street. We have a parrot that's a rescue, etc., etc. I'm all for the rescues, but I like to research the breeds out there too....I'm a geek like that!

One thing I've noticed since I moved to The South (NYC to Jax, FL) is that the wildlife is smaller here - the squirrels, the mice and rats, the feral cats are smaller......so I figure it must have something to do with the heat?? Not sure. Maybe someone else knows why some of the cat breeds are significantly smaller?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats