Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 07:41 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

i had skrappy ..... a little black girl kitty for 17+ years..... she and her brothers were found at about 7-8 weeks old sitting on an engine of a junked car in a junk yard after a flood in houston many years ago ...... the guy i was dating at the time rescued them and found homes for the boys..... he kept her and as she got a little older, i kept telling him to get her spayed because she was going to go into heat ..... well, he never did and when she did go into heat, she drove him so crazy that he told me to find a vet for her and have her spayed and i could have her for my own..... what a sweet girl she was..... lost her to hyperthyroidism and resultant kidney failure in late 1997......

during skrappy's tenure, i got hobbes from the humane society at about 1-1/2 years of age.... a BIG ol' sweet orange tabby boy..... his name at the time was caeser.... but he was such a lover boy, caeser just did NOT suit him..... so i renamed him after the tiger character in the old calvin and hobbes comic strip.......

and when i was a kid in about 1972, we got a balinese kitten from the humane society..... my dad christened him Phred after the vietnamese character in the doonesbury comic strip..... he lived to be just short of his 21st birthday.... another big ol' sweet lover kitty........ with the most brilliant blue eyes i have ever seen on an animal..... seal point siamese markings on the long, lean siamese body, but with beautiful, long, soft, flowing fur......

i now have charlie and max ...... my mom dated a man named charlie for several years after my dad's death...... was a very good man, who shared a birthdate with me..... he used to joke that when he died, he wanted to come back as one of my cats....... well, we lost him on easter sunday in 1992.... so, i now have a charlie-cat........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
I had a long-running disagreement with a friend over what kind of pet I should acquire. He said dog, I said cat. The joke developed that my compromise would be to adopt a cat but call it Puppy. On December 4th, 1992, the same guy brought a brother-and-sister pair of rescued adolescent kittens to me as a surprise early Christmas present. They even had red bows tied around their necks, LOL...It was a no-brainer to christen the stocky, faintly-marked gray tom "Puppy." But what would his motormouthed, skinny, hyperactive, runt-of-the-litter sister be known as? I pondered the question as Puppy settled himself on his new sofa and his sibling raced through the house, meowing non-stop and looking like she was ~95% legs and tail. Her white chin and tabby-patterned gray coat weren't lending inspiration. As she turned to run another lap through the kitchen, I conjured up images of wily and fleet-footed creatures: mongoose...weasel...yeah, weasel, I like it...and "The Jeffersons" is one of my all-time favorite TV shows...this cat's a girl...YES!!!!!!!!
"Weasie"

Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
I hadn't had a kitten in a long while, but rather had adopted older cats that came with names.

I took on a kitten and had to come up with a name from him. It took me three days to come up with a name. He was a wild child to say the least. He liked tom sneak around the corner and 'ninja' you. My mom wanted me to name him Ninja, as he is also black and while. I said no, not creative enough.

So three days go on and the name "Hackney" pops in my mind. I'd spent five weeks back on a summer vaction visting some family in London when I was in college. I happened to be in the borough of Hackney where it get a little wild up there to say the least. So since he was wild and still to this day acts like a 'yob' the name suits him.

My other kitten is named Amelie after tennis player Amelie Mauresmo. My cat and Amelie have a light running style on their feet.

My third cat his name is Jensen. He's named after the French Open Men's Doubles Champions Luke and Murphy Jensen and he happened to show up on a night I went to see them play a local charity match......

Old 09-05-2009, 08:36 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
When I was in college I had a cat named Libido. One time he ran away, so I placed an ad in the student newspaper that read, "Help, I lost my Libido." My cat was found and returned to me.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:41 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
Years ago, I had a cat named Bagger. The reason? He would often eat directly from a cat food bag. He also had a twin brother named Rags, simply to match Bags. (Sometimes we called Bagger, Bags.)

Old 09-06-2009, 06:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I have a fat orange tabby called Buster, b/c it seemed to fit him (adopted at about 5 yrs of age). It didn't take long to add "biggs" to it so now he is Buster Biggs. He knows that's his name and will frequently come when called (as do the others). Or if he's near me he will turn his head as if to see what I want! So funny to me, the expression is so haughty, like "you called me? why? I am perfectly fine here."

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:11 PM

259 posts, read 797,793 times
This is a great thread!

Well, the first two cats I had as an adult were gorgeous Siamese sisters who had pedigree names... BUT ended up being called by their personalities! This was mainly because my "friends" kept switching their collars so I couldn't tell them apart. They were really identical looking.

One of them could not get through her day unless I gave her 15 minutes of attention each morning! I nicknamed her "Neurotic"! Her sister seemed like a typical cat and I called her "Normal".

Picture how funny it was to stick my head out the back door to call them in! My neighbors got used to hearing me call for "Neurotic" and "Normal"!! That was 40 years ago and the memory of them still brings a smile to my face.

I have had many more cats since them and they mostly got names that matched their personalities.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Tabasco: my first cat, named by my parents, nicknamed "Rattie" and "the Rat" because she was a homely little thing
Kitty: (I know, SO original) neighbor's cat who adopted us and became ours
Smoky: stray cat found in our garage, named by my sister for his dark grey fur
Clementine: Smoky's daughter, I liked the name
Melpomene: Clemmie's son, named after the Greek muse of tragedy because of his mournful little face, known as Melpo
Clemmie's other kittens were Cleo (muse of history, liked the sound), Riker (the second born kitten, or #2 - Star Trek reference), and Betty (white face with a funny black cap) - these kittens were given to friends
Milo: from Phantom Tollbooth
Timmy: first named for Monty Python's line "They call me ... Tim?", morphed into TIMMMAY from South Park

Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times
Default kitty names

as a child, I was given a siamese kitten for a b-day present. We always had 'meesers" and my mom named this one Zed. the last cat we were going to get. HAHHAHAHAHHAHA.

In high school I had a cat named Thomas James, and he was Thomas, big black bad-ass of a cat. Was declawed, (I didn't know any better at the time) and had an attitude. Didn't like men, and would sink those teeth into what ever flesh was around. Jumped up on the back of the couch one night and chomped down on my boyfriend's arm, he probably still has the scars.... my bro-in-law was checking on him when we were on vacation and knew better, but picked up Thomas and he latched onto my B-I-L's thumb, bit clear through the flesh on top and bottom. Dumb B-I-L went back to work (construction) and didn't clean the wound, ended up with a raging infection and had to get a tetnus shot. He couldn't blame anyone but himself, knew not to touch the cat.
One day, my mom went out into the garage and hit the opener to take mail out to the box, didn't realize Thomas was out there. Usually he'd run over to the house door and either wait or demand to go in NOW. This day, a neighbors German Shepard was walking down the street.....off goes the 18 lb black streak after the Shepard. Had this dog cowering under a car 4 doors down the street, screaming like a wild animal. Turned around when my mom yelled at him and strolled back down the street and into the garage. For several years, the Shepard would walk down the street through the front yards, til he got near ours, he'd walk out in the street on the other side of the street and once he passed our house, he'd cross back into the other neighbors yard and go on down the street.

I got a kitten a few years later, and asked my 2 year old niece if she'd like to name him, she did "ROVER" she was trying to say Grover, from Sesame Street, but we all liked Rover better!!

Old 12-31-2009, 01:04 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Our Tumnus passed away so we have adopted a kitten from a litter we are fostering. We named him Charlie, somehow it just seems to fit.
I have a picture of him sitting in a wine glass when he was smaller. He is gray with long hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats