U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,754 posts, read 33,978,074 times
Reputation: 6922

Advertisements

Whenever my daughter and I are out and we are in the area of one of these stores, we stop in not to buy another cat but to play with and talk to the kitties that they have there to adopt.

Today we went by and they had 5 kittens that were from the same litter but had been wild. They were really cute but not terribly tiny, I think they were about 5 months. I put Nick the grey tabby on my shoulder, I leaned my head over on him and he just purred and purred. I could have just stood there with him all day, he was so sweet.

In spite of these cats recently being taken in, they were so easy to handle. There were two witches kitties (black kitties), one of them was a little rolly polly, I held each one of the like a baby and talked to them, rubbed their round little bellys. They purred and enjoyed the attention but looked at me quizically as I jabbered away at them. I should imagine because they are not used to it. My cats are used to it and act as if they enjoy my jabbering at them.

When I was in England, one of the things I enjoyed doing was taking a walk with my daughter in her stroller and stopping by to talk with each of the kitties in the little front gardens. There was one very fat one, black and white who was probably the most friendly of the cats but always stayed just out of reach. It seemed that they were also not used to having a stranger jabbering away at them. Over the three months I was there, I broke down the barriers of my unfortunate birth in America rather then the UK and the neighborhood cats began to accept me as a native Brit.

There was one rather impressive Siamese that would go down to the neighborhood chip shop and they would feed him at the back door. It was clear this was not the ONLY place he was getting fed, he was in danger of outgrowing the pet door at home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2008, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
157 posts, read 544,216 times
Reputation: 154
A couple years ago we had gone into a Petsmart to pick up supplies. In one of the cages was a very timid long haired kitten who was terrified. I felt so bad for her, I just had to hold her. The woman was from a local rescue and their usual routine was the application, interview, check references and let you know. we lived over 2 hours away. After talking to her about our own animals for a while, she told me we could adopt her then if we wanted her. We took her home and didn't see much of her for a week. She hid under the bed for 3 days, coming out for food only after we had left the room. Day 5 she ventured out to the landing. Day 7, she came half way down the stairs. She was a tiny thing who would eat everything put down for her at once. She had been a feral they trapped, spayed and put up for adoption. It took a couple months for her to learn that food would always be there. She is still very shy, hides from just about everyone, and a 1 person cat but really loves me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,754 posts, read 33,978,074 times
Reputation: 6922
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
A couple years ago we had gone into a Petsmart to pick up supplies. In one of the cages was a very timid long haired kitten who was terrified. I felt so bad for her, I just had to hold her. The woman was from a local rescue and their usual routine was the application, interview, check references and let you know. we lived over 2 hours away. After talking to her about our own animals for a while, she told me we could adopt her then if we wanted her. We took her home and didn't see much of her for a week. She hid under the bed for 3 days, coming out for food only after we had left the room. Day 5 she ventured out to the landing. Day 7, she came half way down the stairs. She was a tiny thing who would eat everything put down for her at once. She had been a feral they trapped, spayed and put up for adoption. It took a couple months for her to learn that food would always be there. She is still very shy, hides from just about everyone, and a 1 person cat but really loves me.
Thats so sweet. I always feel so sorry for them when they are affraid like that. Cats may seem so hardy and I think they are physically but emotionally I think they are extremely sensetive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Loss Wages
1,310 posts, read 6,344,048 times
Reputation: 570
I'm sorry but what is the subject of this thread? Are we just telling stories about our experiences with Petco's cat adoptions, Lindsey? But, then you speak of the UK? Great stories, I just don't know where you were going with this. YOu might want to clarify. LOL THanks!

Cute stories though!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,754 posts, read 33,978,074 times
Reputation: 6922
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I'm sorry but what is the subject of this thread? Are we just telling stories about our experiences with Petco's cat adoptions, Lindsey? But, then you speak of the UK? Great stories, I just don't know where you were going with this. YOu might want to clarify. LOL THanks!

Cute stories though!
Just visiting and talking to cats is all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 01:57 PM
 
Location: in the southwest
13,394 posts, read 43,185,202 times
Reputation: 13513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Just visiting and talking to cats is all.
I do this a lot, because we have to be a one-cat family (that's all my husband can handle) but I do so love kitties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
10,754 posts, read 33,978,074 times
Reputation: 6922
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I do this a lot, because we have to be a one-cat family (that's all my husband can handle) but I do so love kitties.
My daughter loves to visit them and talk to them. I feel badly for them all caged up like that. We sit and play with them, they always have toys there for them.

Have you ever been there on Saturday when they have cages out in the middle of the store full of kitties? Its amazing. Thats when they bring out the babies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
38,859 posts, read 69,006,065 times
Reputation: 62707
We always stop to talk to the kitties (and to the volunteers) as well. Someone always tries to talk us into taking another cat home! Two is my limit!

And I always put a couple of bucks in the jar, or buy a couple of cans/bags of food and donate it back to the rescue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top