Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 489 times

Advertisements

HI I am new to the group but my Himalayan just was diagnosed with kidney issues and is now on fluids that are given 100cc twice a week.
I gave him the fluids today for the third time and my cat got very upset with the initial injection and was very hard to hold and eventually the line came out of the cat.
We tried again and the cat was more upset and growled cried squirmed until we finally had to let him go and never fully finished.
Does anyone have any suggestions for making it a better experience for the cat?? I'm at a loss....
I know I can warm the fluid bag so they wont feel cold to the cat but any other ideas??
I use the monoject 250 needles....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 07:25 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,267 times
My Himi also have CRF. He is not at the same stage as yours is. How old is your cat? I heard that the cat shouldn't feel any pain from the fluid injections. He may be sore or arthritic near his spine so that causes discomfort when touched. If he is arthritic, try giving him Cosequin supplement... it helps with the pain.

Sorry that I don't have much advice to offer.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:51 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Join the Facebook group for Feline Chronic Kidney Disease. They'll be able to help you with that, answer any questions that you may have about CKD.

My cat was diagnosed with CKD in January, and the group has been a great help to me, even though I don't have to give fluids to my cat.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:13 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
I've learned how to do this over the past three months in order to keep my elderly cat alive.

My cat is docile, so that may be a factor, but two ideas come to mind- first, are you making sure that you put the needle in the right spot in his back?

Second- can you put him in a cat carrier that opens on the top? This would give you access to his back, but not allow him to move around too much.

My cat starts to squirm a little, but as long as I just hold him in place and pet him, talking calmly, he can handle it.

I also give him a treat as soon as we are done to help create a positive association for him.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:09 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,870 times
I've had to do this to two of our cats that had CKD (both are gone now) and it can be a bit unnerving at first. I'm guessing your vet showed you the proper way to do this? It may take a second person to help you keep Kitty secure. I let them eat supper while they were getting "infused" and it kind of kept them occupied for a bit. If you have a small room you can use, with few distractions and really no place for him to run to that would be helpful.

Also, here is a website for feline CKF that has a LOT of info on it: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

Also, make sure that when you pinch the skin up that you get the needle firmly in place (must be sharp) and not just the very tip of it in. If kitty moves around a bit the tip will pop out and then you have to re-stick them. Having a second person helps because they can kind of hold onto the needle and tubing to make sure it doesn't come out while the other person talks to kitty and scritches and monitors the amount of solution dripping. If you get lucky - one person can easily do it, but if your kitty is squirmy and is resisting like yours - two people will probably be needed. Getting those fluids in is vital.

OH....I totally forgot to say HELLO and welcome to the group!!!!

If you aren't able to do it at home - you'll need to have your vet do it in the office. Good luck to you and your kitty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats