Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 12:08 PM

914 posts, read 737,927 times

Advertisements

How big a difference is there between kitten and adult food?

Got a 1yr old cat and a 5 month old kitten. I feed them pouch food 2-3 times a day. The kitten is a cheeky bugger and will always steal the older cat's food. It doesn't matter what food I'm feeding them, as soon as he sees the bigger one eating, he will want her bowl. She just lets him and either waits her turn or she swaps bowls and eats the kitten's food. Every time I move him back to his bowl, he just goes right back to the other one He will eat his own once the adult food is gone.

Does it really matter? Pretty sure that they didn't have specific kitten food last time I had kittens, but that was probably about 15 years ago. I might have to start feeding them separately. Just want to make sure the kitten gets enough nutrients and that the adult cat isn't getting fat

For anyone who free-feeds dry food to both adult cats and kittens - how do you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:26 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Someone once told me that there's no such thing as a "kitten mouse." With our youngest cat (now 2), I learned that kitten food is really now a marketing thing, and we just fed regular canned food.

You'll probably need to feed them separately. We separate the slowest eater in another room, so the food hog doesn't bother him. It's become a normal routine, and he'll often sit in the room waiting while i prepare the bowls.

I would skip dry food, personally.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:40 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Feed them both high quality canned food with lots of meat content. The kitten can be taught where his meal spot is and to wait there.

I would use more canned, especially pate, and fewer pouches, especially for the kitten. The pouches and chunks in gravy type foods are, generally speaking, very high in carbohydrates. Many pates have less carbs, more meat.

The kitten sounds hungry and probably needs to be fed more often than the adult until he is at least a year old. Feed him pate canned foods instead of pouches, for the reasons I just stated.

Feed him a couple extra meals throughout the day, in the same spot all the time. Make his meal spot in a different place from the adult cat's spot. The adult cat already has her spot, so find a spot on the other side of the room, or up on a shelf. or a bench, maybe, for the kitten, and feed him there.

When both are being fed at the same time, first prepare the dishes. Then put the kitten at his spot with a little serving of food to keep him busy, keeping back the bulk of his meal, then give the adult her meal.

When the kitten finishes his small amount and jumps down to barge in on the adult, pick him up, put him in his spot and put a little more food in his dish. Keep doing this until adult kitty has finished, pick up her dish, then give him the rest of his. When he finishes and goes to her place he will find it empty of food or food smells, that will help break that habit.

I advise against feeding any dry at all. Keep them on a healthy species appropriate diet.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Old 06-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Feed them both high quality canned food with lots of meat content. The kitten can be taught where his meal spot is and to wait there.

I would use more canned, especially pate, and fewer pouches, especially for the kitten. The pouches and chunks in gravy type foods are, generally speaking, very high in carbohydrates. Many pates have less carbs, more meat.

The kitten sounds hungry and probably needs to be fed more often than the adult until he is at least a year old. Feed him pate canned foods instead of pouches, for the reasons I just stated.

Feed him a couple extra meals throughout the day, in the same spot all the time. Make his meal spot in a different place from the adult cat's spot. The adult cat already has her spot, so find a spot on the other side of the room, or up on a shelf. or a bench, maybe, for the kitten, and feed him there.

When both are being fed at the same time, first prepare the dishes. Then put the kitten at his spot with a little serving of food to keep him busy, keeping back the bulk of his meal, then give the adult her meal.

When the kitten finishes his small amount and jumps down to barge in on the adult, pick him up, put him in his spot and put a little more food in his dish. Keep doing this until adult kitty has finished, pick up her dish, then give him the rest of his. When he finishes and goes to her place he will find it empty of food or food smells, that will help break that habit.

I advise against feeding any dry at all. Keep them on a healthy species appropriate diet.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
PS when you are doing all this training, talk to him. use his name and telling him what you are doing and why. As you pick him up say something like " (Name), here, this is your spot and I will feed you here. All your meals will be given to you here" and praise him up and down for eating there. Especially when he starts going there on his own!

PS Distracting him with a Game with you will also help divert him from older kitty when needed. A five month old kitten will always be ready to play!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
PS when you are doing all this training, talk to him. use his name and telling him what you are doing and why. As you pick him up say something like " (Name), here, this is your spot and I will feed you here. All your meals will be given to you here" and praise him up and down for eating there. Especially when he starts going there on his own!

PS Distracting him with a Game with you will also help divert him from older kitty when needed. A five month old kitten will always be ready to play!
Aww thanks for all your tips (and Rene S.!). I will definitely try the approach you suggested,

I'm not too worried that either of them is going hungry - they usually have food left in both bowls. Was just a bit concerned because I was told that kitten food contains extra calories and nutrients that they need whilst growing. And that adult cats would get overweight from kitten food (unless they are nursing mother cats and need the extra calories).
I suppose if it doesn't really matter, I could just feed them both the same food?

I live in the UK, are you guys based in the US? I've found it really difficult to find good quality food for cats over here (spent many few hours researching - used to live in a different part of Europe and it was way easier there) but think I've finally found a good quality canned food. But it's in jelly... Is that any good? The pate food is only available in pouches unfortunately.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
Aww thanks for all your tips (and Rene S.!). I will definitely try the approach you suggested,

I'm not too worried that either of them is going hungry - they usually have food left in both bowls. Was just a bit concerned because I was told that kitten food contains extra calories and nutrients that they need whilst growing. And that adult cats would get overweight from kitten food (unless they are nursing mother cats and need the extra calories).
I suppose if it doesn't really matter, I could just feed them both the same food?

I live in the UK, are you guys based in the US? I've found it really difficult to find good quality food for cats over here (spent many few hours researching - used to live in a different part of Europe and it was way easier there) but think I've finally found a good quality canned food. But it's in jelly... Is that any good? The pate food is only available in pouches unfortunately.
The people I know in the UK recommend ZooPlus and HappyKittyCompany for cat food.

I didn't know pate came in pouches. Boy, that sounds messy! Pate is usually the best for lower carbs higher in meat.

I thought pouches always had those chunks in gravy types which are so high in carbs. Not sure about the jelly types, what do the ingredients say?

You could feed wet kitten foods for a few more months if you were really worried you were shorting him out. There's no point in causing yourself unnecessary stress. I never did, but I find plenty of other things to worry about haha!

The best way to ensure a well rounded balance for any age cat is to feed a variety of brands and proteins in rotation.

You might add in some raw meals too if you were feeling adventurous.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
The people I know in the UK recommend ZooPlus and HappyKittyCompany for cat food.

I didn't know pate came in pouches. Boy, that sounds messy! Pate is usually the best for lower carbs higher in meat.

I thought pouches always had those chunks in gravy types which are so high in carbs. Not sure about the jelly types, what do the ingredients say?

You could feed wet kitten foods for a few more months if you were really worried you were shorting him out. There's no point in causing yourself unnecessary stress. I never did, but I find plenty of other things to worry about haha!

The best way to ensure a well rounded balance for any age cat is to feed a variety of brands and proteins in rotation.

You might add in some raw meals too if you were feeling adventurous.
It never occurred to me to do online shopping for cat food but I'll be sure to check the websites out that you mentioned!

I think jelly tends to be lower in carbs than gravy food. Most of the food I see around here is in jelly!

After reading your post this morning I decided to go out and buy some raw chicken wings. They both loved them, especially the kitten! I was less impressed when he decided to drag his wing through the house though... but couldn't be mad as he was so adorable, walking around with the chicken wing in his mouth, looking all proud of himself

Old 06-11-2016, 02:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Quote:
....After reading your post this morning I decided to go out and buy some raw chicken wings. They both loved them, especially the kitten! ...
Just keep in mind a chicken wing is not a balanced diet.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Just keep in mind a chicken wing is not a balanced diet.
I know, they'll be getting them as a treat every now and again Heard they are good for their teeth!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:
I know, they'll be getting them as a treat every now and again Heard they are good for their teeth!
Yes, raw chicken wings as "treats" is a great idea! And now is the time to expose your kitten to raw food, when they are still deciding what is acceptable as "food." You can try other things like chicken hearts too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats