Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 01:31 AM

10,102 posts, read 19,297,579 times

Advertisements

I have a voucher from the local Humane Society for low-cost spay/neuter for a stray cat, and/or a low-income owner. I recently found a little kitty, who was obviously in heat. We took her in, had her checked for a micro chip, none. The poor thing howled constantly, looking for her Prince Charming Finally, we decided to keep her. I applied to the local Humane Society for a low-cost voucher, the total for me would be $25, for an in-heat spay, rabies shot, microchip, license and tags.

Well, we gave it one last try to find the owner, posted it to FB, and found her! It was a college student living in an apartment right behind us. I offered her the voucher, but she didn't want it, said oh, she was going to give the cat to her sister.

Well, my dd now lives with her BF and they have a male cat, not neutered. I offered her the voucher, even offered to pay the $25 copay because I know she doesn't make much, she declined.

I'm simply shocked. I understand cost is a barrier for many pet owners to spay/neuter, but when people won't even do it for free? I'm especially upset with my daughter. She was raised to respect animals and give them proper care, including neutering. Obviously her values in regards to pets didn't come from me!

Maybe I will post it on Craig's List? Free to whoever wants it. Or return it to Humane Society as I know they can only issue a limited number. The services are performed by local vets at a loss, just to help keep the unwanted pet population down.

Its so hard to believe how people just don't care.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 02:34 AM

1,059 posts, read 824,439 times
How sad that some pet owners (versus pet guardians) do not take the responsibility of spaying and neutering, chipping, and getting shots for their charges.

I volunteer at the local humane society and also for a 50 feral cat colony on protected government property. It took four years to TNR the colony cats. I understand there are 70 million feral cats in the country, many of whom are actively reproducing at an astounding rate. There are at least 100 grown cats at the humane society looking for their forever homes... and those are the lucky ones.

I think in this case, youth is the overriding factor instead of not caring for the cats. Growing up in a veterinarian household, I felt cheated because Dad had the family cats "fixed" (as far back as the 1950s) so I was never around momma cats and their kittens. It wasn't until my twenties that I fully understood how important it was to spay and neuter, as well as get shots and check-ups and keep my kitties indoors.

ETA: I wish you had been able to keep the little kitty....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats