Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:33 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times

Advertisements

My boy cat, Penny passed away in March at the age of 20. When we first adopted him, the paperwork said, "long haired female," and because he was a beautiful copper color, "she" got the name Penny. Years later, a new vet informed us that he was in fact a neutered male! I'm talking 8 or 9 years later, so Penny had been my "Pretty little princess" and "sweet girl" for long, long time. He was pretty healthy right up until the last month of his life. I was devastated when he passed. I'm still mourning the loss.

Last August a little black kitten showed up on our deck. It was obviously feral, wouldn't allow us to get anywhere near him. I put food and shelter out for him and he found a place to sleep and got a fat little belly. In the winter, a beautiful tuxedo cat showed up on our deck (we're in the country where people just dump cats off when they no longer want them) and she was very friendly, so I started feeding her, too. She seemed to really help the little feral cat feel more comfortable and finally I was able to pet the feral cat. I named him Hoots because he had big, green eyes like an owl and he would sit on a table outside and peer in at me. Over the past several months, I've been able to bring both cats in the house and I got very attached to Hoots in particular. He allowed me to brush him and snuggle him, but he still refused to stay in the house full-time. He'd try to rip the screens out of the windows and pulled down the curtains! He was still a little on the feral-crazy side. We had our routine... I'd sit on a bench and he'd hop up onto my lap and demand head rubs. He never did get the hang of controlling his tongue and it would stick out like a sassypants.

On Saturday I couldn't find Hoots anywhere, which was very uncommon. I searched and searched for the little guy. Finally found him lying in the ditch. We believe he was hit by a car, which I know is a risk when a cat is outside. I swear, I WANTED him to stay in the house. He just wasn't at that point yet. And now I'm devastated yet again. Today's my 48th birthday and I've spent it heartbroken and bawling. I swore I wouldn't go through this again after Penny's passing. But here I am. I had assumed Hoots would become acclimated to being in the house and he'd have a long, happy life. But I was wrong. And it feels really bad. I just needed to talk about it. I'm sorry if I caused anyone else distress. I am truly heartbroken over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
I am so, so sorry for your loss of yet another friend. And even sadder it is on your birthday.
The fact that you had cultured a relationship with Hoots just goes to show that your heart is very large, and that is not a bad thing. You are a wonderful human being to be capable of feeling all that love. Please don't let that stop you from getting close to another animal.

There are plenty more out there that need the love and attention someone with a heart like yours can offer them.

Just know that Hoot had the best life possible for the situation he was born into, because he met you.
This is not your fault. He was loved, and that is the most important thing in the universe.

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-26-2016 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 AM

Thank you SO much for those kind words, TerraDown. You don't know how much I appreciate them.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:06 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
I lost my boy as well. Tai, or mr perfect, had just turned 14.

He was with me through marriage, through divorce, through 2 life threatening car accidents, the resulting depression, and my rebound and recovery.

Rip hoots
Rip penny
Rip my beloved Tai

Old 06-26-2016, 11:15 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, as well, Stymie. I hope you're doing better today.
It's amazing how much it hurts to lose our pets. I'm just truly heartbroken all the way through. I spent so much time worrying about Hoots' safety. Every single day I worried for him. And in the end, it didn't save him. I feel tremendously sad over this.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:32 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Please except my condolences. You did the best you could. IMO, the best way to heal that hole in your heart is to open it up to another who needs your love. There are so many more cats who need loving homes.

Cat

Old 06-26-2016, 02:55 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. Maybe Hoots and Penny are hanging out together now.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:44 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
I'm sorry this happened. Know that you gave him a much better life.

We can love cats we have barely touched. I had a feral female spayed a few years ago (via live trap), ear tipped, and returned her to the neighborhood. I got to touch her in the carrier when she was groggy, but would only get glimpses from a distance after that.

I have not seen "Bella" in more than a year, and know she most likely is no longer alive. It's heartbreaking, but I hope I improved her short life in some way.

When your heart has healed, I hope you consider adoption.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:11 PM

Thank you so much, everyone. Thank you for the kindness and for sharing your own stories with me. I really appreciate it.

The passing of little Hoots has really hit me hard. I guess it's probably because I'm still missing Penny so much and Hoots was a clown-cat and filled us all with so much happiness. I had an inflatable pool that he loved to run and slide across when it was upside down. I've never seen a cat so playful before. He truly had me laughing out loud with his antics. It felt like he showed up to help make things better after Penny passed. And now he's gone and it feels wrong. But I realize life is not fair and bad things happen all the time.

We have the other kitty here... her name is Shaky Boots because she shakes her back leg and "dances" around. My son loves her, but he's going back to Charleston,SC this week and cannot have pets in his place. I really have decided that I need a break from having a pet. I'm hoping to find a perfect forever home for Shaky Boots soon. She deserves a place where she can be loved and taken care of. She doesn't feel like "my" cat, if that makes sense. Hoots felt like he was mine, but Shaky feels like she belongs to someone else. I just need to find that "someone else" and hope that's it's a perfect match.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:15 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
We have the other kitty here... her name is Shaky Boots because she shakes her back leg and "dances" around. My son loves her, but he's going back to Charleston,SC this week and cannot have pets in his place. I really have decided that I need a break from having a pet. I'm hoping to find a perfect forever home for Shaky Boots soon. She deserves a place where she can be loved and taken care of. She doesn't feel like "my" cat, if that makes sense. Hoots felt like he was mine, but Shaky feels like she belongs to someone else. I just need to find that "someone else" and hope that's it's a perfect match.
Please reconsider keeping Shaky Boots. Perhaps there's a reason why she is in your hands now--she obviously needs a home.

Bonds take time to form. Spend time talking to her and using wand toys to play with her. That will help you bond. She'll soon feel like your cat, and maybe the next time your son visits she'll prefer you instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats