Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 04:25 AM

20 posts, read 21,790 times

Advertisements

Admittedly this is a nit pick, but I am still curious why my cat does this. Despite nothing being in his way, very often when he goes to eat from his food bowl instead of eating in front of it, he'll eat it from a 90' angle. I really don' understand why. I have also noticed he will go up to his bowl, kind of rub his right paw against the carpet and then eat. I actually put a few things beside it so that he had no choice but to eat from the front, which I removed shortly later, but I still don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 05:16 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
It may have something to do with perception of safety, being able to see around him to keep watch for dangers, and knowing he has an escape route. The odd thing about this kind of behavior is that it's an instinctive thing and not necessarily because there are any dangers nor any need to watch for safety. If he goes straight up to his bowl, then the entire world is behind him out-of-sight, and maybe his inner wild cat instincts just kick in.

Perhaps he's just a curious cat and wants to know at all times what's going on, so he eats with one eye on the world. Is he a curious cat? Is he always investigating things, poking his nose into cracks and crevices, bags and boxes? Or is he the type of cat who explores something new with his eyes only and from afar before approaching anything new? Knowing his personality type might help explain if he's wary or curious when he's eating.

Or if it's a behavior he's picked up rather than something he always did, maybe unbeknownst to you something happened while he was eating, and now the sideways approach lets him feel more secure. For example, one of my cats has to eat from behind her plate so that she can see the world in full view. I'm guessing it has something to do from the days she lived outside (a lost or abandoned stray that we took in) - who knows what kinds of things she saw or heard in those days while she was vulnerable having a meal.

So many eating and litterbox issues are purely because a cat has experienced something "scary" (an unexpected sound, smell, or sight) when they've been the most vulnerable (when they've been eating or depositing). They easily associate what they are doing or where they are with the "scary" thing. A loud sound, like a dropped pot or pan or a slammed door or a fluffed plastic bag (or even a sudden loud laugh in another room), while they're eating can immediately change a behavior since they think the sound and eating are connected (they don't have the ability to always know that one is not connected to the other).

Like my cat who eats from behind her plate, if your eat-from-the-side kitty is eating well (and not making a mess), then I kind of ask why not just let him do it. I know it doesn't answer the question why, but I think it's a question with no answer unless all of a sudden your cat begins to speak English and tells you :-)

P.S. Questions are never nit-pick-like! The smallest behaviors are still fascinating to ponder!

Old 07-03-2016, 07:30 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Why does a cat do anything she wants to do? My cat used to eat like this.

I have another cat who insists on eating all her meals in the bathroom, with the door shut. She knocks when she's ready to come out.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:44 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
I needed a great chuckle catsmom21! Thank you!!

Old 07-03-2016, 10:38 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
My ladycat Angel seems to have very high standards when it comes to food service. She will sit in her favorite spot in the kitchen while I prepare her bowl. Then I must place the bowl directly in front of her so the edge of the bowl is almost touching her front toes. If it's too far out, or off to one side or the other, she will not eat it. Only after proper adjustments are made will she go ahead and eat.
Sometimes, if she's had a particularly tiring day she'll lay down in the loaf position, and I have to gently lift her chin and slide the bowl under it (I'm seriously not kidding about that). I really don't know if it's feline weirdness, or just her being too lazy and overly spoiled by yours truly. But I suspect it's probably the latter.

As to the OP's question, I agree with Catsmom. After all, we're talking cats here, so who knows?

Last edited by catdad7x; 07-03-2016 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
My ladycat Angel seems to have very high standards when it comes to food service. She will sit in her favorite spot in the kitchen while I prepare her bowl. Then I must place the bowl directly in front of her so the edge of the bowl is almost touching her front toes. If it's too far out, or off to one side or the other, she will not eat it. Only after proper adjustments are made will she go ahead and eat.
Sometimes, if she's had a particularly tiring day she'll lay down in the loaf position, and I have to gently lift her chin and slide the bowl under it (I'm seriously not kidding about that). I really don't know if it's feline weirdness, or just her being too lazy and overly spoiled by yours truly. But I suspect it's probably the latter.

As to the OP's question, I agree with Catsmom. After all, we're talking cats here, so who knows?
No, no she is not being lazy! She is being...Herself. That you know she requires this special treatment only illustrates that you know how to understand when she communicates her preferences to you. That shows a real bond.

She has trained you just the way she wants you. My cats are good trainers too. Sometimes they may find me a slow student, but usually I catch on pretty quickly. Why not? It's a nice way to live, I think.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
No, no she is not being lazy! She is being...Herself. That you know she requires this special treatment only illustrates that you know how to understand when she communicates her preferences to you. That shows a real bond.

She has trained you just the way she wants you. My cats are good trainers too. Sometimes they may find me a slow student, but usually I catch on pretty quickly. Why not? It's a nice way to live, I think.
You're right about that of course. I've been in training for 28 years, and I'm still learning.

I can only vaguely remember my aimless and unfulfilled life before cats. I'm a happier person now that I've discovered my true calling as a cat staff.
(Actually, there's a bit of truth in that, I think.)

Old 07-03-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You're right about that of course. I've been in training for 28 years, and I'm still learning.

I can only vaguely remember my aimless and unfulfilled life before cats. I'm a happier person now that I've discovered my true calling as a cat staff.
(Actually, there's a bit of truth in that, I think.)
I was being completely sincere in my comments, no tongue-in-cheeck at all.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I was being completely sincere in my comments, no tongue-in-cheeck at all.
I know you were, and I wasn't making fun of your comment.... just poking a little fun at myself. I truly do have a special bond with my cats, and I don't know what I would do without them. I'm sure most of us here feel the same way.

Have a Happy 4th Catsmom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats