Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times

Advertisements

Phew! good to know! I was concerned for ya! I know my boykitty would do the same! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Gracie eats three of those little 1/2 sized little canned portions a day. She also has access to dry food all of the time. She's pretty healthy and ever since that terrible episode last summer where she stayed under the bed for two months, has been more affectionate and alert than ever. She has still never mentioned what it was that so disturbed her last summer .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-18-2013, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,685 times
This is what I feed my 2 beautiful babies...named Joey (2yrs 6mths) and Sammy (3 yrs 6 mths). I leave dry food, Purina Naturals or Purina One, out for them all the time and they split a can of Friskies for dinner. Of course, fresh water all the time. They both have VERY VERY SOFT, shiny beautiful coats !!! Neither one of them are overweight.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:12 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Because dry cat food has been proven a very unhealthy choice for cats. It is found that dry food creates many diseases in cats. See the thread and following links:

//www.city-data.com/forum/rainb...-my-cat-2.html
I'm sorry, but it has to be said... if I remember correctly, that poster's cat was EIGHTEEN years old when he died. So how on earth did dry food "kill him?" I know it's tough to lose a beloved pet, and sometimes we search for an outside source to blame - but most cat owners would consider that a long life. My oldest cat is almost 16, and I'll feel blessed to get another 2 years with her.

My family combined has raised probably 15-20 cats in the last 30 years, and all of them have eaten a combination of dry & wet. Most have lived long & healthy lives, unless they were killed by something unnatural (i.e. hit by a car). So while I understand your desire to do what's best for the kitty, I also think you need to take these "new revelations" with a grain of salt. Talk to your vet, multiple vets if you wish, and let THEM advise you on the best diet for your cat - not a grieving pet owner on the internet, or some isolated study that doesn't even seem conclusive.

That is a big difference cost-wise, and as a not-wealthy person myself, completely understand how that could put a strain on your finances. My basic rule of thumb (since I have a lot of pets) is "give them the best I can comfortably afford on a regular basis." I have emergency money if a real crisis arises, but in terms of food, I cannot justify spending THAT much on something they don't entirely need. Heck, I already spend more on their food than my own!

Just my two cents, take 'em or leave 'em.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:16 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
Our cats get their kibble mixed with water. Supposedly it can cause bacteria to grow but I am not concerned since they finish their meals in under 5 minutes (yes, our cats are pigs). They also get canned food, although not every day, and I occasionally give one cat small bits of raw food as a treat.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 AM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
My cat only eats one specific cat food (I forgot the same, but I have to keep a receipt so I know what to get).

Otherwise she won't eat. Period. I mixed in a little bit of the food my parents get their cats and she wouldn't eat. I tried giving her canned food and she wouldn't touch it.

Eggs, on the other hand ...

Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
May wish to bear in mind that wet & dry digest at totally different rates.

Quote:
I also think you need to take these "new revelations" with a grain of salt. Talk to your vet, multiple vets if you wish, and let THEM advise you on the best diet for your cat - not a grieving pet owner on the internet, or some isolated study that doesn't even seem conclusive.
Don't know what is meant by "new revelations". That cats are obligate (strict) carnivores?

You are confused, as are many pet owners. http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/dat...Patrick06.html

It wasn't until the '80s that Colgate Palmolive bought Hill's, and the CEO realised that their toothpaste was very successful with the Dentists' endorsements, and proceeded to buy the "Veterinary Community".

Any veterinarian telling a client to feed a strict carnivore cereal should be talked to about common sense, and ethics.

Don't know what "isolated study" you're referring to. You can look in a dictionary or encyclopedia, and look up "cat", to see what the pet food industry (and vets in their pocket$) have been so successful at suppressing:

Cats are strict carnivores.

For even further reference, check the "PU Surgery" thread right here, or visit Diabetic cat forums where hundreds + are successfully getting their felines into REMISSION -- yes, REMISSION -- by ditching popular brands' species-INappropriate foods -- and "special diets" normally "prescribed" by mainstream veterinarians, whose poor patients keep getting jacked up with Insulin shots because the vets won't tell their clients that cats are obligate carnivores which can't process the CARB overload, and push junk food *with jacked-up salt content* on them instead.

Agian, an encyclopedia will tell you that cats lack thirst drive. (You can look up "carnivore, obligate/strict" for the facts on this). So they jack up salt in those "special foods" to make it drink more. Nice.

Sorry but all those cats going into remission (just one example) are not an "isolated" study.

Last edited by Pamina333; 05-20-2013 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Old thread, revived...

I'm very pleased that I was able to get Nimbus on all wet canned food, what I have read is that dry slows digestion, which can cause more absorbtion of problem elements in any food (bacteria, etc--given more time in the gut it can cause damage.) Also some cats get bowel problems from dry food, even if it's only part of the diet. Again, so I have read.

All I know is that I wanted to give my cat a small snacky portion of dry food during the days while we're not home...but I wanted it to be good stuff. I got Wellness Core, which had a high protein on the label, seemed good. But he didn't like it. Stopped eating a noticeable amount, if any, of what I gave him. I was throwing it out and replacing it for a few days, and finally I decided...why bother? He's eating his wet food. Let's just stick with that. And he seems to be thriving. He is getting big...and he's only 9 months old...I'm very interested in how big he will get before he's done growing. I guess cats can keep growing until they are over a year old, longer for some breeds...?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post

Would it be ok for me to feed them alittle bit less wet food and leave out alittle bit of dry food to get them through the day????
Yes, but why the $1 a can stuff? I'm feeding mine canned cat food that runs .46 to .48 a can and they're thriving. They also get raw meat a few times a week mixed with their canned food. For a midnight snack, rather then open another can, they get what they really love - an expensive high protein kibble. Each cat gets about a tablespoons worth.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Yes, but why the $1 a can stuff? I'm feeding mine canned cat food that runs .46 to .48 a can and they're thriving. They also get raw meat a few times a week mixed with their canned food. For a midnight snack, rather then open another can, they get what they really love - an expensive high protein kibble. Each cat gets about a tablespoons worth.
Same here - I feed about 12 outdoor/feral cats as well as two indoors and while I'd love to, I can't afford the $1 per can cat food! Actually the whole-ground raw is cheaper than that, and IMHO better.

They get 9 Lives or Friskies (on the premise that cheap wet is better than expensive dry) and often raw, even sometimes whole-ground pre-made raw, along with whatever dry they will eat. I try to get something decent - TOTW or Felidae - but the bottom line is they get the best I can afford at any given time.

The "digesting at a different rate" thing is a myth. Let me know if you need links to back that statement up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats