Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:31 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times

Advertisements

You are doing an awesome job with Einstein!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 01:16 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
Thanks for the update.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))

Cat

Old 09-09-2016, 07:10 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
Hoping he is feeling better!

Old 09-10-2016, 01:32 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
All, thank you so much for the incredibly kind and helpful replies. It helps to know how many of you COMPLETELY relate to my feelings about my sweet kitty and my frustration and sorrow at what he is going through!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Some cats are easier to treat with injections than oral meds. I had a diabetic cat, Mr. Biggs, I had a routine where I would give him a rubdown, some treats, then put him on his right side so his head was to my left, then "tent" his skin using my left hand, pinching the skin firmly but not too tight, then give him his insulin using the smallest possible needle, after having used a larger (to keep which one is which straight) needle to load the syringe - the small needle was used first and only time on the cat. He didn't object to this and I think he rather considered the overall routine more fun than not.

To me, having experience mainly with diabetes, I associate stumbling with low blood sugar. I'm sure your vet has checked for that and would have said something about it if that needed treatment.
M3 Mitch, thanks for the info! Eini didn't really struggle at all with the injections -- I think it's because they are over & done so quickly AND he doesn't have me trying to stick something in his mouth. I wish I had tried the injections first (instead of the liquids and pills), but the first vet (the one who messed up the dilution) didn't even suggest them.

I did have blood work done and the vet did not mention anything about low blood sugar, so I don't think that is his problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
As for the treats thing, since he's so congested he may not be able to smell them. But that wouldn't explain why his appetite seems ok, so don't know. He doesn't feel good, so I wouldn't worry too much about refusing his favorite treats unless it continues.
Catdad, that is a great point about him not smelling the food because of his horrible congestion ... duh, I should have realized that!!

The good news is that by the next morning, he was back to eating "normally," which means asking me for a treat (actually, DEMANDING a treat) whenever I walk into the kitchen. In fact, Thursday night I got up a couple of times to go to the bathroom (yeah, I'm at the age where that happens! ), and who comes up the stairs to see me both times? Eini! I have a small refrigerator upstairs so I gave him a treat (wet food mixed with water) out of there. Then I had to wait 10-15 minutes for him to finish eating so his siblings didn't steal his food ... but I didn't mind at all, I LOVE watching him eat!!!

He is still congested and I feel awful for him, but I hope it won't last much longer -- usually when I get congested it lasts a few days, so I HOPE it will be gone soon.

I will definitely be going to the appointment this Thursday -- will ask the vet (she's the one I like a lot) if we can give him 1 more 2-week injection before re-doing his blood work. We'll go from there.

Thanks again to everyone for your sweet words, and I will keep you posted.

Here's Eini at the vet on Thursday ...

He has the sweetest little face ...

Old 09-10-2016, 04:09 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,416,292 times
Yes he does! Love the orange tabbies. I'm so glad to hear he's coming along!

Old 09-10-2016, 04:46 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times
Karen, very gorgeous here, he is. He looks Apha Male Lion! He is really casual hangin' out here.

Ok, rare bld sugr alone is ever his issue. Also, seeing him alert & responsive at stairs has got to help you too. Our cat was same in that when she was sick w/ Hyperthyroid we though she was beyond lazy, & lethargic. Yet finding her thyroid level was v high we knew what it was. So finding a cause = best shot at treating symptoms -- as sure you know. I know docs/vets ALL treat symptomatically, but too, often no underlying cause is looked for b/c it takes too much. ;(

Ok, hope more good news & give him ALL food/treats he'll eat. Keep him as strong & fortified as you can.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:13 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
He looks like he is saying, "Open this door. Now". LOL

Old 09-11-2016, 11:09 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Eini is a very handsome fellow, and I can see why you are totally smitten with him.

Btw, it's a little known fact that most housecats anxiously look forward to their humans aging to the point of mid night trips to the bathroom. They consider those off-schedule snacks to be quite a perk.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:51 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Ahhhhh Muchos Gracious Karen for that wonderful picture

What a beautiful kitty

Old 09-13-2016, 11:24 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
Einstein's really lucky to have picked you for an owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats