Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:35 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times

Advertisements

He sure is a gorgeous man cat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 03:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Ahhh....I'm late to the party again. Glad to hear that Eini was able to snarf down some treats and food finally ( I agree with CatDad - if he can't smell them he won't be interested much. He may even have had a bit of a sore throat if he had any drainage going on (?). I have LOTS of paws crossed that all goes well on Thursday. I would love to know what has happened to the little guy - but since he seems to have adjusted - as long as he doesn't get any worse, I guess that's acceptable, maybe.....
He is really, really handsome! OMG, those eyes!!! We should look half that good when we're feeling so bad!!! Eini must certainly be aware of what a lucky guy he is - to have such a doting mama and so many strangers who wish him well and are sending him healing thoughts!!
(((((((HUGS)))))))

Old 09-15-2016, 04:12 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Default update: Eini's kidneys appear to be failing

Went back to the vet today. Eini lost another POUND in less than a month -- is now <6 lbs. despite all the extra treats I have been feeding him. I saw what the scale was registering and totally lost it.

Repeated the blood work -- his infection numbers are better, but his kidney numbers are worse. His kidneys appear to be failing.

Looks like all we can try is to give him more fluids to get more circulating through his kidneys to "clear out" whatever is in there. I'm going back to the vet at 7 p.m. (when they are about to close -- Thursdays are their "late day") to try IV fluids again. Eini was NOT a happy camper at the vet today, and he did not want his treats when we got home. They gave him a shot of penicillin so that may be contributing to his lack of interest in food, which I hope is temporary.

The vet said we could possibly get an ultrasound, which would tell us more about what's going on, BUT there is no vet with one locally -- the closest one is more than an hour and a half drive each way. Given that Eini doesn't like the 3-minute drive to the vet, I am not willing to put him through that for the POSSIBILITY of getting more info. (The vet said she did not feel any kind of mass on/near his kidneys, but of course that is not foolproof.)

Eini is also still a bit congested. I bought a vaporizer today and will put it in the guest room tonight with Eini isolated in there; I am hoping that makes him more comfortable. His pulse ox was 91, which isn't horrible, but isn't great either.

I feel blindsided and of course heartbroken by all this. Two months ago in early July he appeared TOTALLY normal. Now he is still doing a lot of things "normally," but he has lost so much weight and is weak on his feet (not surprising, given how tiny he is now). I will do whatever I can to keep him comfortable and happy as long as I can, but it is starting to hit me that he is more sick than I realized.

I will write more updates when I can. Don't feel like you have to respond to anything or everything I write -- you have all been terrific and I just want to let you know what is going on, but don't expect a response every time.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:44 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm so sorry Einstein isn't well. I'll be hoping for the best for him.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:20 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Hi Karen, as you know we all here are really feeling this w/ you.

I know about this & kidneys from our boy in '08. I won't relive it here again. But here's the thing, if you can get him fluids & give him Friskies canned that is their "Special Diet" (& get NO fish flavors as it isn't kidney-safe for cats -- I think you know of this, so not sure if so) & this Special Diet has very low ash & helps lessen the burden on him.

The worry is, as a male cat, his ureter is the problem & length (& narrowness) of it causes much more male than female cat kidney probs. I'll try to pm more info to you.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:43 PM

457 posts, read 497,160 times
I am so sorry to hear that Eini is still feeling bad. I feel your pain as what seemed like a simple issue with my Momo has turned into so much more. I truly hope Eini gets on the mend soon and I will keep him in my thoughts.

Last edited by tla921; 09-15-2016 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 06:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
So sorry to hear this. Hope you can help him turn around a bit and make him more comfortable.

I know what you're feeling, and my heart goes out to you. Sending positive thought your way.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:46 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
I am so sorry Karen

Old 09-15-2016, 07:42 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
I'm sorry you are going through this. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:19 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Oh Karen, this is so sad and disappointing. I feel a bit blindsided myself. I totally agree with not putting him through a long, stressful car ride. I hope you can get him comfortable, and perhaps get some more answers, to ease your mind if nothing else. Hugs to you, and scritches to poor Einie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats