Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 59,921 times

Advertisements

Hi, my cat has had 3 UTIs since Nov. she has been on a course of Baytril 22.7mgs for 10 days and then 14 days respectively. It clears up then comes back. They said she had high amount of crystals in her urine, once she had blood in her urine. Help! We feed her Purina Indoor Cat formula. Since the second recurrance I added some wet cat food to her diet once daily. The vet didn't recommend any changes, but I thought it'd be better for her based on his statement that cats can use more moisture.

Now they want to do an ultrasound at $350.00!!! Xrays have already been inconclusive.

Now I'm seeing 411 on Wellness and Newman's Own brands and am wondering if I should change her food.

I can't tell if it's the Baytril not working, the Vet not doing a good job or if she's just going to be a sickly cat?

Any advise? please help. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 02:31 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
How do you feel about your vet??

From reading your words, it sounds like your vet isn't doing a good job of anything except taking your money. If your vet hasn't really given you any suggestions as to food, or given you information on how to try to prevent these issues, I would suggest finding another one.

I'm sure others will have some good suggestions as to what to try, but obviously, your first line should be a vet whom you trust and that imparts knowledge to you, because they know your cat's individual case.

It may be a case where your cat has some underlying issue....but, honestly, you shouldn't be having these questions if your vet was actually doing their job.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 PM

3 posts, read 59,921 times
Thanks for the confirmation. I've scheduled an appt with my previous vet, whom we trusted with our Siamese cat that lived for 22 years. We moved and tried this new vet because they came recommended and they were much closer. It's worth the travel now that it appears the new vet isn't curing my cat!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:34 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestye View Post
It's worth the travel now that it appears the new vet isn't curing my cat!
Or at least giving you the basic information that they should be giving you. I'm glad you can get to someone you trust with this. Again, wishing you the best.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times
My recommendation is put the cat on an all wet food diet. Don't use Purina, it's like junk food for cats. Too much by-products, grains, and glutens that are bad for kitties. Links for your education:

Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php - broken link)
Feeding Your Cat** Know the Basi

All The Best Pet Care (http://www.allthebestpetcare.com/handouts/raw_bones.html - broken link)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
One thing we always did when our kitty had UTI is add a half teaspoon lemon juice to her food. Seemed to change the ph and stop the UTI within a day. If she will not eat it in her food then put it in a dropper with some water and give it to her. I am wondering if all the antibiotics might not be adding to the problem. I also agree on the wet food and getting her off Purina. We alwyas had trouble with Purina. The lemon juice works for humans too.

Chris

Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,065 times
Try changing the litter. My cat had the same problem when I changed her litter she didn't have the problem anymore. I buy the plain Tidy Cats clay litter. When she had the problem she was using the clumping litter with the blue crystals.

I hope you get it resolved very soon! I know what a drag it can be!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:07 AM

8 posts, read 45,733 times
I just took my cat into emergency today for a bladder problem. They diagnosed her with having Feline Idiopathic Cystitis. They found blood, red and white blood cells, and a small amount of bacteria in her urine. She's been straining to urinate, soiling outside the litter box, and meowing more than usual. She is now on antibiotics and pain meds poor girl. The Dr. recommends I put her on a wet food diet (Iams, Eukanuba, or Science Diet is best), keep plenty of fresh water available at all times (she suggested I might invest in a flowing fountain water dish which constantly circulates the water), reduce as much stress in her home environment as possible (not too many other cats, low traffic, don't change litter brands, add another litter box, keep litter boxes clean, providing toys, etc.), and to possibly start her on Cosequin for Cats which contains glucosamine, which has shown to be helpful. I know she doesn't have FIC, but maybe some of these ideas will help your poor kitty. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:05 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,117 times
Most cats don't truly have an infection anyway, have the vet do a culture (with a sterile sample) to see if there really is one!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 AM

233 posts, read 720,816 times
Default Glucosamine

Both of my female kitties (mother and daughter) had major problems with UTIs. Finally last year, the vet had me put them both on Science Diet CD (dry only) and had me add glucosamine to the dry food. Luckily, I haven't had a problem since October last year after having to take one or the other to the vet every other month. So far, it has worked very well. You may want to ask about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats