Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 09:15 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,521,896 times

Advertisements

My cat is very familiar with my mom. They got along great for years but now she immediately hides under the bed whenever my mom visits (which is about once per week). I'm positive that my mom has never hurt the cat in any way. The only negative association she might have is that my mom comes with me when I take my cat to the vet (which is only once or twice a year). My cat is not very sociable with people other than myself in general, but now she is friendlier with strangers than she is with my mom. Is there anything I can do to repair her trust in my mom? My mom is going to watch her when I go on vacation, so I'd like them to get along. Has anything similar ever happened with your cats where they just decided that they no longer like someone who they had previously been close to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:05 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,868,588 times
It is highly possible your cat is associating your mom with a vet trip. Has your mom had any changes that your kitty might smell--adding a new pet to her household, for instance?

I'd suggest your mom visit several times before your vacation, if that's possible. Have your mom give her treats, talk to her, feed her, etc.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:49 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,238,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
It is highly possible your cat is associating your mom with a vet trip. Has your mom had any changes that your kitty might smell--adding a new pet to her household, for instance?

I'd suggest your mom visit several times before your vacation, if that's possible. Have your mom give her treats, talk to her, feed her, etc.
Agree that's a likely scenario. I flea treat my sisters' cat once a month, and whenever I go over there, the cat will tend to hide initially when she hears my voice (whether I flea treat her or not). She eventually gets over it, and will come around for pets later. She's associating my voice with something she doesn't like. Your cat may be doing the same thing.

Like Rene suggested, have your Mom spend as much time/interaction with your cat as possible (treats, play time, etc.), so the cat will relate only good things with your Mom's presence.

That's assuming, of course, that there isn't anything about your Mom that's changed resulting in a different scent. Something like that could also cause the cat to react as you described.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:33 PM

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions. I know my cat hates going to the vet, but I'm surprised she's holding a grudge against my mom over it. My mom used to be her second favorite person along with me!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:24 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Since it appears your mother has always been part of the vet trips, and she comes over every week, I doubt this is the issue. It is more likely there is something about your mother that has changed and caused your cat to view her as a stranger.

And I would guess it is scent related. Either your mother has changed something, her laundry detergent, perfume, deodorant, or she has been spending time with other animals (?)or perhaps is some health issue going on that she is not aware of, OR she is taking a new medication?

Cats function largely by scent, and I think it is quite likely your mother's scent has changed.

You and she need to talk about any changes that have happened in your mother's life. Even the most minuscule thing. And then, ask her to come over more than once a week and have her come in and just sit quietly for a couple of hours, giving kitty enough time to get his bravery and curiosity back and to venture out.

Once he shows signs of relaxing, start leaving for a little while, with her still there. Ideally at a meal time so she will be the one to feed him.

PS Get a bottle of feliway spray and have your mother spray her hands and arms before coming in.

Last edited by catsmom21; 08-04-2016 at 08:02 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Since it appears your mother has always been part of the vet trips, and she comes over every week, I doubt this is the issue. It is more likely there is something about your mother that has changed and caused your cat to view her as a stranger.

And I would guess it is scent related. Either your mother has changed something, her laundry detergent, perfume, deodorant, or she has been spending time with other animals (?)or perhaps is some health issue going on that she is not aware of, OR she is taking a new medication?

Cats function largely by scent, and I think it is quite likely your mother's scent has changed.

You and she need to talk about any changes that have happened in your mother's life. Even the most minuscule thing. And then, ask her to come over more than once a week and have her come in and just sit quietly for a couple of hours, giving kitty enough time to get his bravery and curiosity back and to venture out.

Once he shows signs of relaxing, start leaving for a little while, with her still there. Ideally at a meal time so she will be the one to feed him.

PS Get a bottle of feliway spray and have your mother spray her hands and arms before coming in.
My mom wears perfume and she does spend time with another relative who has a cat, but she doesn't have any pets of her own. I suggested to her a few days ago that we could try leaving one of her clothing items at my house, so that the cat is used to having her scent around. But still, I think the cat is just afraid of her for some reason.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:07 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,297,579 times
Maybe there's something wrong with your mother? Like....cancer

Cancer has a distinct smell we can detect in the later stages, but not in he earliest stages. Cats and dogs, OTH, have been known to detect such smells much earlier. Also, cats can "smell" diabetes. Does your mother have any health issues? Perhaps she needs a check-up?

Another thought---get you mom some lavender-scented perfume, hand cream, etc. Lavender is known to be soothing to cats.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Maybe there's something wrong with your mother? Like....cancer

Cancer has a distinct smell we can detect in the later stages, but not in he earliest stages. Cats and dogs, OTH, have been known to detect such smells much earlier. Also, cats can "smell" diabetes. Does your mother have any health issues? Perhaps she needs a check-up?

Another thought---get you mom some lavender-scented perfume, hand cream, etc. Lavender is known to be soothing to cats.
She doesn't have any health issues that I'm aware of, but thanks for the horrible suggestion.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:48 PM

55 posts, read 69,942 times
ask your mom to feed your cat often, food is the key

Old 08-06-2016, 07:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,071,093 times
Your cat doesn't have to like your Mom for her to be able to watch her for you. Cats can be very moody in my experience.

My cat started hating me after my extended absence with employment (several months) and bonded with my husband when he moved ahead to another city for a job. I moved as planned some months later to join my husband in our new location, and my cat totally ignored me for almost a year, until we moved into a new home.

It was very strange, but I think moving upset some sort of hierarchy and I was back to being her favorite person. So, it could be any new change that your cat associates now with your Mom.

Paladosa has a very good suggestion. Have Mom feed her often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats