Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:31 PM

457 posts, read 496,845 times

Advertisements

Momo is my 15 year old baby. He has never had any issues with uti's or the like. I noticed that he had some dribble on the duvet where he sleeps. When I took the duvet off of the comforter to wash it I decided to get my black light just to see if anything showed up. To my surprise about 15 or so little pee spots showed up on the comforter. I have a very sensitive nose and even smelled the little spots, it didn't smell like cat pee or anything for that matter. He is the one cat that will show up when I'm cleaning the litter box, so I actually get to see his business when it happens. He always pees really well so I'm interested to see what the vet says

Has anybody had experience with this that wasn't related to urinary infections? I've read that it could be because he is a senior.

We have an appointment on Monday to have him checked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,923,274 times
I haven't had any experience with a cat, but a co-worker I know has had this problem with his dogs over the years. It was usually related to bladder cancer, which Scotties are prone to.

It's unlikely this is the case, but it can't hurt to ask about it. Given that he's an older guy, it could be a number of things. It is good you're taking him to the vet.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:42 PM

Tests came back - hyperthyroidism and bacteria showed up in his urine sample. Poor guy. He has been a real trooper today and as soon as we got home he started purring like his normal sweet self. I'm not looking forward to having to pill him twice a day, but I'll do whatever I have to for my best buddy.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:38 AM

Well, it's good that you took him in then! This goes to show that you can be surprised at test results.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:08 AM

Well, after several days of giving him Methimazole pills twice a day and having him throw up shortly after, we are going to try the transdermal route. Hopefully, this will work. He actually likes when I rub his ears - so, fingers crossed. Honestly, if the gel works I'll consider it a blessing in disguise because it was really difficult to give him his pill. I've come to realize just how stubborn he can be. Who knew??

Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 AM

Little update on Momo. We had our follow-up thyroid level check today. We have also been fighting pretty bad diarrhea for the past week and half. The vet gave me Fortiflora last Monday to get some good bacteria in his belly after 10 days of antibiotics for bacteria that showed up in his urine. That hasn't helped, so today we went home with Metronidazole. I really hope this works 'cause this poor guy has had 3 - 4 a day runs.

But, the good news is that his thyroid level was 1.7 - which is great. The transdermal methimazole is working out fantastic for us. Sooooo happy about this. His Bun and Creatine levels were within normal range as well. This is also great news as there was a concern of hyperthyroidism masking kidney disease.

So, two outta three ain't bad. Hopefully, the runs will get under control this week.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
Little update on Momo. We had our follow-up thyroid level check today. We have also been fighting pretty bad diarrhea for the past week and half. The vet gave me Fortiflora last Monday to get some good bacteria in his belly after 10 days of antibiotics for bacteria that showed up in his urine. That hasn't helped, so today we went home with Metronidazole. I really hope this works 'cause this poor guy has had 3 - 4 a day runs.

But, the good news is that his thyroid level was 1.7 - which is great. The transdermal methimazole is working out fantastic for us. Sooooo happy about this. His Bun and Creatine levels were within normal range as well. This is also great news as there was a concern of hyperthyroidism masking kidney disease.

So, two outta three ain't bad. Hopefully, the runs will get under control this week.
Oh I've dealt with horrible diarrhea and it's no fun for anyone. :-(

I wanted to suggest trying a better probiotic. Fortiflora only has one type of bacteria, and not a lot of it. I use an animal probiotic called "ProBios" I get from Amazon. There are others brands too. If he won't eat it on his food, try mixing in a little chicken baby food.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Oh I've dealt with horrible diarrhea and it's no fun for anyone. :-(

I wanted to suggest trying a better probiotic. Fortiflora only has one type of bacteria, and not a lot of it. I use an animal probiotic called "ProBios" I get from Amazon. There are others brands too. If he won't eat it on his food, try mixing in a little chicken baby food.
Thank you for the ProBios suggestion, I'll check it out.

In the meantime, I gave him his first dose of Metronidazole - OMG, he foamed at the mouth horribly. I understand that it is really bitter (I experienced this with him once before with a Benadryl). Since he does love Fortiflora so much, do you think I could mix the two to disguise the bitterness of the meds enough for him to take it easier? Would there be any reason that it couldn't/shouldn't be mixed? I feel so bad when he foams at the mouth and I'd hate to think this will happen twice each day for the next 7 days.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:25 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
My vet now gives metronidazole in very small pills. TG someone is now making a pill form in thpse low cat-sized doses! Giving liquid metronidazole is a nightmare, I know. The label on the bottle actually says "Metronidazole 50 mg tiny tabs". !

Maybe your vet has them? I just put them in a Pill Pocket and that is that. Whoever invented Pill Pockets, I hope he or she has made a billion dollars. I remember the bad old days of trying to get pills into cats and dogs.

Here's hoping the diarrhea clears up. Poor Momo! Cats find diarrhea so distressing. (Not to mention Moms and Dads who have to deal with the litterbox clean-up!)

Old 08-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tla921 View Post
Thank you for the ProBios suggestion, I'll check it out.

In the meantime, I gave him his first dose of Metronidazole - OMG, he foamed at the mouth horribly. I understand that it is really bitter (I experienced this with him once before with a Benadryl). Since he does love Fortiflora so much, do you think I could mix the two to disguise the bitterness of the meds enough for him to take it easier? Would there be any reason that it couldn't/shouldn't be mixed? I feel so bad when he foams at the mouth and I'd hate to think this will happen twice each day for the next 7 days.
ITA with Lori in trying to get a pill if you can. You could certainly try mixing in some Fortiflora but IME once they detect it in any form, they won't go near it. If it's a pill you could use a Pill Pocket or coat it in a little butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats