Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:59 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Sevin dust comes with a warning to only use it outside and to keep children and pets away from the area until the dust settles. Is there some other Sevin product out there that is OK to use on pets? I am more than a little leery of using something not designed for pets on pets, but maybe there is a product I am unaware of.
You don't have to use it, of course, but I've using it for years and haven't had any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 03:16 PM

34 posts, read 33,941 times
I'll look into Sevin dust. Sounds like something you could find at home depot or lowes. Also I understand the rules but I wish my link could stay. How am I to get help if no one can see my cat's page?

Old 08-28-2016, 03:22 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annasoakichester View Post
I'll look into Sevin dust. Sounds like something you could find at home depot or lowes. Also I understand the rules but I wish my link could stay. How am I to get help if no one can see my cat's page?
Any place with a garden department will have it. Remember that fleas spend 95% of their time off the animals, so dusting the carpet alone will be enough in many cases. Vacuuming also works. Put some Sevin in the bag or collector. Take it outside to empty it.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:43 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Advantage 2 for the cats. It kills fleas and prevents re-infestation. I buy the Advantage 2 for extra large dogs, and then I break it down into smaller does suitable for the age and size of my cats. I apply it to the back of their necks with a needle-less syringe. It is MUCH cheaper that way.

Borax kills fleas. Find some 20 Mule Team Borax detergent and sprinkle it in your carpets and furniture. Let it sit for two hours and then vacuum it up, along with the dead fleas and larva. 20 Mule Team Borax will not harm your pets or anyone in the house. This remedy goes back to the 1950s, long before anyone used flea medicine on their cats.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:52 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
One more thing.....

Very young kittens cannot handle flea medicine. It could kill them. The best way to kill fleas on them is to hold them gently under the warm water of the faucet, making sure the water hits the kitten around the neck and head and washes downward towards the feet, then just let the water flow at kitties neck. This prevents the fleas from running up to kitties face once the water hits them. Fleas are easily drown.

Hold the kitten hold the faucets for a few minutes. You will probably see the fleas coming off and going down the drain. You may also see a river of pink water coming off the kitty. It's blood from the flea bites. Don't stop, not even if kitty struggles. If your kitty could speak, she'd thank you for helping ease her suffering.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:09 AM

96 posts, read 336,919 times
There's a spray you can buy online for the floors/furniture called Siphotrol Plus II that works for 6 months. $20 a can but depending on how big your place is, may only need a couple cans. As someone else said, vacuum every day a few times a day and empty into outside garbage right away. For baths, Dawn dish soap is safe for cats/kittens and will suffocate the fleas. This will only work for fleas currently on the cat but cheaper option than flea shampoos. I foster bottle baby kittens from animal control and they usually have fleas so first thing when they get here is a bath with Dawn. When you get the money for a topical, I find Advantage II works better than Frontline. Use it for my own adult cats and haven't had any reactions.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:54 PM

I was able to buy some herbal salve to put on their flea bites but no flea drops yet, and some maintenance men came to spray the place but when my mom and I got back we still saw water bugs crawling around and my cats are still itching bad ):. Might be evicted on the 19th, going to ask a family member if they have any hotel credits so we can stay there and I don't know what I'm going to do with my two cats and the stray I feed outside.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
I was able to buy some herbal salve to put on their flea bites but no flea drops yet, and some maintenance men came to spray the place but when my mom and I got back we still saw water bugs crawling around and my cats are still itching bad ):. Might be evicted on the 19th, going to ask a family member if they have any hotel credits so we can stay there and I don't know what I'm going to do with my two cats and the stray I feed outside.
Look for a rescue in your area (NOT animal control). Maybe they can help you out temporarily.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:24 PM

Thank you I will, really don't want to abandon them.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:19 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Hopefully if enough people donate I can de-flea the carpet too or pay someone since it involves chemicals and I'm not knowledgeable in those.
Quote:
Also I understand the rules but I wish my link could stay. How am I to get help if no one can see my cat's page?

Am I understanding this correctly?...Is this a plea for donations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats