Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 04:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

[quote=ssgncng;45491891]Never.

As a Joe I can tell you for a fact that one item in the "LIST OF THINGS YOU WILL NEVER HEAR A GI SAY" is as they are stepping on the battlefield: "I wish we had a cat with us." Never been said.

Evidently, not all your soldier buddies feel the same way you do (thank God !).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZMNFTgoLLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCcIaL0gvFU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 03:47 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
As a Joe I can tell you for a fact that one item in the "LIST OF THINGS YOU WILL NEVER HEAR A GI SAY" is as they are stepping on the battlefield: "I wish we had a cat with us." Never been said.

Pfffff. My dad was a Marine. We ALWAYS had a cat in the house.

Now that nonsense is out of the way.....some people don't deserve to be pet owners. I live on a busy 4 lane boulevard. I'm constantly seeing people letting their cats out to roam. I'm also in the high desert. If the cars on the boulevard won't get the wandering cats, the coyotes will. But hey, some pet owners are really good at convincing themselves that "it won't happen to MY cat". Idiots. My two cats go outside on the patio, it's surrounded by a 6' stucco wall. Even then, I still monitor them the whole time they're out there.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:28 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
There are people who are not responsible pet owners.

To be fair, there are some responsible pet owners to "escape artists." My Elvira has been known to be an escape artist-but she is smart enough not to go too far from home when she does decide that she wants to get out and see the world. Which is good because we live on a busy road.

BTW, I am a veteran (not a Joe, but a Jane) who can't imagine my life without cats.

Cat

Old 09-20-2016, 07:33 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
All of our kitties over the years have been strictly indoor cats. Not only do I not want them getting hurt or killed outside, but I respect my neighbors and cats know no boundaries. They also bring fleas, ticks, and other problems back into the house when they re-enter.They are also exposed to a lot of diseases from other animals they encounter.

We are racking our brains for a way to get Mama Cat at our shop adopted somewhere so she can come in from living a feral life. She has survived 4 years, but I know every day her odds get worse of making it long term.

Don

How feral is she Don? Is she still intact? Friendly at all? If she was forced to live inside after being outside all these years do you think she would be miserable?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
But hey, some pet owners are really good at convincing themselves that "it won't happen to MY cat". Idiots.
This reminds me of the woman who had some kind of a video camera on her cat so she could see where he went all day. She could view it remotely, and live.

She got an up-close view of the tire that ran him over.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 10,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
as they are stepping on the battlefield: "I wish we had a cat with us." Never been said.

Pfffff. My dad was a Marine. We ALWAYS had a cat in the house.

Now that nonsense is out of the way......

You clearly did not read what I wrote. We have dogs on the battlespace, NOT cats. Cats are NOT going to be of ANY use on a battlefield. The nonsense was your comparing a cat in the house to a useful animal to have in combat.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 AM

14 posts, read 10,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This reminds me of the woman who had some kind of a video camera on her cat so she could see where he went all day. She could view it remotely, and live.

She got an up-close view of the tire that ran him over.
Yep. Predation by Firestone leaves a lot of ground meat that used to be a free range cat on roadsides everywhere.

Cats are small, comparatively speaking, so to most cars you'd experience no damage at all which makes for a compelling case to make no effort to avoid the cat on a busy road. If you swerve you could swipe the car, bicyclist, or motorcycle near you. Frankly, swerving to avoid a cat and risking human life or even property damage to someone else's car is unacceptable.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:44 AM

351 posts, read 285,237 times
ssgncng;45613915]You clearly did not read what I wrote. We have dogs on the battlespace, NOT cats. Cats are NOT going to be of ANY use on a battlefield. The nonsense was your comparing a cat in the house to a useful animal to have in combat.

It is a well known fact that cats like dogs have been used in battelespace:

CATS IN SEA SERVICE

In addition to offering sailors much needed companionship on long voyages, cats provided protection by ridding ships of vermin. Without the presence of cats, a crew might find their ship overrun with rats and mice that would eat into the provisions, chew through ropes and spread disease.

Cats in the Sea Services | U.S. Naval Institute

During World War I, the British army employed nearly 500,000 of the felines to fend off unwanted critters on land and at sea; nearly every World War II vessel had at least one aboard at all times.

The American commando team that killed Osama Bin Laden in Abbottabad, Pakistan, reportedly included a dog, sparking furious speculation about the dog's identity and discussion of the role of canines in war. Less publicized—and far more essential to top-secret U.S. military operations—are cats.

There is much more information about animals in service that include not just dogs, but cats, horses, pigeons ect. on army related sites.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:03 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Different people have different ideas about how their pets should live. Would I let my cats outside to roam? No, but I'm not going to condemn someone who does. It's not my place to tell someone else how to live their life, nor am I that arrogant to believe I should even try.

Furthermore, not all cats who roam are owned; some are feral. The colony of seven or eight ferals in our neighborhood are cared for as well as those of us who collectively care for them can - we feed them, give them shelter in our garages, porches, or sheds, take them to the vet. But it's unlikely these will be indoor cats, and no self-congratulatory admonition from an anonymous person on the interwebs will change that.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:58 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgncng View Post
Never.

I have no use for them and would never expend any energy caring for them, to me, they are the proverbial football bat. Completely useless. Others feel differently and that's fine, I just resent the imposition of free range cats on me. I have bird feeders, I set out bird nesting boxes. I have a lot of sandy areas in my yard for growing palm trees and such. I have problems because of cats and I really don't like them or the problems they cause.

I just don't understand why so many cat owners refuse to accept the reality that a LOT of other people don't want their precious kitty causing them problems. Your cat, your problem, your property - NOT my cat, NOT my problem, NOT on my property. The response is usually a stream of profanities from cat owners. Dog owners have a similar capacity for selfishness/self-centeredness. You know the song... MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME, MEMEMEMEMEMEMEME, MEMEMEMEMEMEME....
Well, there's this picture, don't know who he is but it sure looks like this kitten is good for his morale, and he doesn't look embarrassed about it either!

And, my husband did two tours in Vietnam. He realized he was not only a dog lover, but a cat lover too, when he was in his 50's. His friends from his days in the army and other friends who served have always liked our cats. Some are cat owners too.

Last edited by subject2change; 06-13-2019 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats