Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:39 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times

Advertisements

I'm fairly emotional and like animals but also am a man of science who understands nature, evolution, and survival of the fittest. I'm not going to be preyed upon for $700 dental cleanings. It's much less expensive to adopt another cat. I know that will sound cruel and people might reply and ask if I would do that to my children, but animals are NOT children and many human beings seem to place animal welfare higher then that of humans... for me there's a cost benefit analysis to pet ownership that will come into play. Given how many extra pets are at humane societies that will likely be put down if they can't be found happy homes, why pay thousands of dollars to cure some genetic disorder when a pet can be painlessly put down (never knowing what's going to happen mind you as they are NOT sentient) and another one acquired? Until we are able to genetically engineer animals with these diseases eradicated this will continue to be an issue. My grandmother paid thousands of dollars to remove cancerous tumors in her dogs some years ago and they went on to live another year or two. Was it worth the cost? You can decide.

I won't be visiting this thread again as I can imagine what people's replies will be. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 09:01 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I bought my condo, I was happy to see that there is an animal hospital not even five minutes from my house. Then I actually took my cats there. I forget what they charged the first year, but it was a couple hundred per cat for an exam and their shots. The next year I brought them back, and they said, "Oh, your cats are now past 7 so they need the Senior Cat exam, which is $350 per cat and we do this, that and the other thing." $1400 for exams for four cats? I don't think so. And then, of course, I'm SURE they would find all sorts of thing that they "needed" that would cost me thousands more.

I do have to give that place credit. They detected at 7 that my kitty Winkie was in the early stages of kidney disease, which was young for a cat to have, but the vet told me that since she was congenitally blind, she probably also had other defects, and the kidney disease could be one of them. She did develop kidney disease, and I had her treated at another vet which gave me a few more months with her, but I lost her before she was ten.

I get the shots at the free clinic they do here in town, and a friend told me about another vet fifteen minutes away who is more reasonable. His building and office isn't as fancy, and he doesn't sell all kinds of products in the front, but I have confidence in him. The price I pay is listening to the yowling for a little longer in the car.

Sounds like you are my neighbor! My local vet is 1/2 mile away from my condo and does "senior exams".

Years ago when we had pets we never took them in for dentals. Is this like a new money making thing for vets? Is it because of the food they are fed? Seriously do you recall pets being brought in for dentals even 30 years ago?

Old 10-01-2016, 09:18 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'm fairly emotional and like animals but also am a man of science who understands nature, evolution, and survival of the fittest. I'm not going to be preyed upon for $700 dental cleanings. It's much less expensive to adopt another cat. I know that will sound cruel and people might reply and ask if I would do that to my children, but animals are NOT children and many human beings seem to place animal welfare higher then that of humans... for me there's a cost benefit analysis to pet ownership that will come into play. Given how many extra pets are at humane societies that will likely be put down if they can't be found happy homes, why pay thousands of dollars to cure some genetic disorder when a pet can be painlessly put down (never knowing what's going to happen mind you as they are NOT sentient) and another one acquired? Until we are able to genetically engineer animals with these diseases eradicated this will continue to be an issue. My grandmother paid thousands of dollars to remove cancerous tumors in her dogs some years ago and they went on to live another year or two. Was it worth the cost? You can decide.

I won't be visiting this thread again as I can imagine what people's replies will be. Take care.
Evidently it was to your grandmother.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:25 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Sounds like you are my neighbor! My local vet is 1/2 mile away from my condo and does "senior exams".

Years ago when we had pets we never took them in for dentals. Is this like a new money making thing for vets? Is it because of the food they are fed? Seriously do you recall pets being brought in for dentals even 30 years ago?
Perhaps people weren't as in tune to the health care needs of their pets (or didn't care as much) 30 years ago as they do today. I imagine that back then there were a lot more pets suffering with dental pain and mouth issues unknown to their owners, because animal dental care wasn't as common back then. People are more aware now, and willing to spend money to keep their furry family members healthy and comfortable. That's a good thing IMO.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
I'm fairly emotional and like animals but also am a man of science who understands nature, evolution, and survival of the fittest. . My grandmother paid thousands of dollars to remove cancerous tumors in her dogs some years ago and they went on to live another year or two. Was it worth the cost? You can decide.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your post is very upsetting, will probably give me nightmares. You adopt or purchase a helpless loving pet for LIFE. That would be the quality of life of the animal ... not for the life of a selfish owner. And I cannot believe $700 for teeth cleaning, where are you in Beverly Hills?

Old 10-01-2016, 11:18 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:

This is your personal stance. My thread is about MY cats and MY situation. Why did you post something so utterly unrelated? Your mother spent her money on her companions and she would not have done it had it not been worth it to her. I am spending mine on mine as they are family members and they are worth it to me and the rest of the 2-legged family.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:19 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Your post is very upsetting, will probably give me nightmares. You adopt or purchase a helpless loving pet for LIFE. That would be the quality of life of the animal ... not for the life of a selfish owner. And I cannot believe $700 for teeth cleaning, where are you in Beverly Hills?
It will be 750$ in small town Oklahoma; single zip code to be specific.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:40 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
The vets that are 1/2 a mile away from my house are also very expensive. They wanted $320 to euthanize my Abby last month. My former vet, who is now 30-45 minutes away, charged me $120. Now that I have a cat I don't know if I will take her there. It's stressful to listen to a cat meow pitifully for so long.

I have a Care Credit card that I use primarily for vet appointments if it is something expensive.

Glad ShadowCat is doing well.

Its a crime when it costs so much to euthanize a pet

Many years ago, we were going through a bout of UE, along with sky-high medical bills, Cobra, etc, and a dying cat. Poor Ace had thyroid issues, and "suspected cancer. He shrunk up from a 16-pound "tom" to a pitiful, 4.2 pound bag of bones. The prognosis was, he would die, but it would take several weeks at the best. It would be a painful, slow death at that. Euthanasia would cost more than we could afford at the time.

We found a vet who offered to do it free!It was a bit of a drive, we had used him in the past but switched for convenience. This kind man gently helped Ace cross over for no charge to us. We were with the cat the whole time. It went without a hitch and our loyal companion of 14 years gently slipped over. I wish more vets would be so compassionate

Old 10-03-2016, 01:02 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,918,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
This is your personal stance. My thread is about MY cats and MY situation. Why did you post something so utterly unrelated? Your mother spent her money on her companions and she would not have done it had it not been worth it to her. I am spending mine on mine as they are family members and they are worth it to me and the rest of the 2-legged family.
ITA, Theestep. That post was not about disposing of a pet when costs reached a certain amount!

Pets cost money. Pets may have medical issues, which costs money.

I know prices vary depending on the vet. A co-worker got an estimate for a dental extraction for one of his cats for $1000. His family could not afford that, so they called around and found another vet who did it for around $450. Still not cheap, but less than half the price.

If money were no object, we'd have more than 3 cats. But, to care for and feed them costs money, so we limit ourselves to 3.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:13 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Quote:

We did. My childhood dog had dental surgery in the 70s.

Part of being a pet owner is providing appropriate medical care and making sure the animal isn't suffering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats