Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 08:27 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

Our cat is 13 years old, and we have been giving him Hill's Science Diet for Mature Cats, both dry (Age-Defying) and wet for years. Now, however, our local Petsmart say they will be discontinuing the wet kind.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality wet cat food for "senior" cats? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 12:13 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Any wet food will be fine, but read the labels and avoid grains, fruits and vegetables and a lot of artificial additives. That "mature" label is just marketing, there is no difference in these foods.

Get rid of the dry food all together and feed your senior kitty good quality canned foods avoiding all that unnecessary junk that just gets pooped back out, to keep him healthy and strong for many years to come.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:18 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Thanks, Catsmom.

Our cat has moods, though, in which some days he wants just the dry and other days he just wants the wet!

Old 10-13-2016, 12:21 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
ITA with catsmom. The "mature" label is just a marketing thing. Feed all wet if you can.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:08 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
My cat also eats Science Diet, and I stopped buying it at Petsmart when their prices kept going up, and they discontinued their $3 register coupons.

I now order it from www.chewy.com. The price per can comes out to be less than buying it outright, no sales tax, free shipping if you spend $49 or more, and it's on your doorstep in two days. So why should I drag myself to Petsmart just to find out that they're out of a flavor that my cat likes? I much prefer having UPS deliver it to my door.

My Petsmart store didn't say that they were discontinuing Science Diet, just that they were going to be carrying a limited selection, in order to have other brands in the store, but Science Diet is one their best sellers.

So every three months, I just order $125 worth of cat food, and never worry about running out.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:54 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,277,737 times
At this age, your kitty may have some weight changes, such as weight loss. You can include kitten canned food as part of his diet to help him gain a little extra fat and protein. Food pouches either used as a topper or fed as meals (See feeding instructions on the packaging) seem to attract cats of all ages. I used Nature Balance food pouches. I don't like the little peas and veggies they add in there but my cat ignores them so it works out.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:08 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Our cat is 13 years old, and we have been giving him Hill's Science Diet for Mature Cats, both dry (Age-Defying) and wet for years. Now, however, our local Petsmart say they will be discontinuing the wet kind.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality wet cat food for "senior" cats? Thanks.
Science Diet isn't exactly quality food. Compare Science Diet ingredients to a cheap canned food. The cheaper food will have VERY similar ingredients for a lot less money!

Old 10-14-2016, 05:24 PM

My cat was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease last January. Science Diet is on the list of approved low phosphorous foods that he can eat, and I spent over $100 last January trying out different brands foods on him. He only eats wet food, and turns his nose up at the more expensive foods.

Here's a comparison between Petsmart and www.chewy.com.

Petsmart:

24 x $.96 = $23.04 + $1.84 (sales tax) = $24.88 = $1.03 per can

Chewy:

24 cans @ $17.24 = $.71.8 per can - no sales tax and free shipping

Which would you choose? I already have my next order in the shopping cart.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:18 PM

141 posts, read 208,932 times
A good choice is the Fancy Feast Classics line. Only the classics, as they have no grains at all and are high protein. It's also quite economical. I can sometimes find it for as little as .45 cents for a 3 ounce can; each of our cats gets 2 of those a day plus some high quality protein rich kibble (Orijens) as a snack.

Science Diet is not a good choice at all. It's filled with well, fillers and very high in carbs. Cats don't need nor process carbs well. They are obligate carnivores and must have protein. Obligate, means by necessity.

FYI senior cats do not require any special diet. It's a myth put out by the manufacturers of various foods and sadly, vets are not well trained in nutrition and pretty much push the big name brands due to relationships with those companies. The prescription diet foods, again, have too many carbs in them. This can lead to diabetes, renal issues and other diseases. Also, as a cat ages they are more prone to wasting if they don't receive enough protein.

Anyone who is looking for good info should look up Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health which as incredibly good information on how to feed felines. Also, if looking for other info www.thecatsite.com is an excellent source with community boards similar to this one but with much more content.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Some cats don't like the expensive cat foods. I spent quite a bit of money trying to find a replacement for Fancy Feast per the vet's instructions. Out of everything that I tried, Science Diet and Halo were his favorites. Just recently, I went into a pet deli, and bought some samples of raw food, and also some Weruva. He wouldn't eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats